The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-31 15:36:41

Antiblitz

Cheater? or Mormon?

So here i am robbing houses, trying to get anything i can from people, and i stumble across this Mormon.  This man has multiple wives and like a dozen children lol, what the hell is going on?

FluxBB bbcode test
FluxBB bbcode test

This is me going in a second time, to investigate further
FluxBB bbcode test
All of the Children were named Brittany & George, while all the wives were named Becky, only one of them carried money, or so it looked.

Last edited by Antiblitz (2014-01-31 15:41:20)

#2 2014-01-31 15:43:00

Turnout8

Re: Cheater? or Mormon?

I can confirm this. Found him on the list and saw all the family. Weird. Has got to be hacking somehow.

I returned with a bunch of clubs, though, to punish him....

#3 2014-01-31 15:44:11

sebastian

Looks like a bug for me. The house aren't correctly "resetting" each robbery, so both the "old" and "new" family positions are retained in some way.

Maybe the admin could look in the db whats actually happening. I Think its a locking issue (the operations on the DB aren't correctly done atomically so it appears race conditions - eg 2 robberies entering the same house the exactly same milliseond and so on)

#4 2014-01-31 18:30:56

Antiblitz

i have a hard time believing that it was just simply a mix up in the server, considering when i went to rob the house that second time, he had multiplied all his wives. 

Secondly, both wives picked up shotguns, how does a wife pick up more then one shotgun?  unless her going over the shotgun just simply gives her one, thus anytime she goes over it, it gives her one and then they could all technically pick up ghost shotguns.

A question though, could the ghost wives kill you if it was a server mess up?

#5 2014-01-31 19:15:02

sebastian

Yes. I don't Think the owner of that house at all that multiplied wives. I don't Think the owner returned to that house at all, since that would reset the safe to a unbroken state too. When you sucessfully rob a house, its state are saved on server. Else, house are not saved.
So when you robbed that safe, the wives and daughters have moved to new positions. If it appear some mixup at server, lets say 2 robbiers entering the same house at the same millisecond, its entirely possible that the wife and daugter are saved in 2 positions. One position for robber 1, and one position for robber 2.

So when you rob at time1, he has X wives. When you rob time 2, he has X*2 wives,. when you rob time 3, he has X*2*2 wives. and so on.

I guess this is because of the huge influx of players, the server are going on its knees.
I have noticed so many times I get disconnected with a red notice in the screen that the server are unreachable. Even through im only scroll the house list so don't blame my internet Connection.
The list sometimes load SLOWLY, sometimes super-Quick, sometimes half-quck and so on. Dying sometimes take up to a minute.

And a overloaded MySQL/PHP server CAN behave in such strange things.
I even know MySQL/PHP servers that have double charged credit cards in webshops due to they are overloaded.

The immediately fix for the problem (for admin) would be to reset that house to its prior state and then check whatever happening with the server, if lockfiles are incorrectly set/unset and such.

About shotguns, I Think that the "shotgun state" of a wife are not stored in the tile of the wife, so if theres multiple wives (which should not technically be possible), all wives share the same "shotgun" state, so if one wife pick up a shotgun, all wives own a shotgun.
And if that would be true, all wives would be dangerous. (since then the game would check the "wife shotgun state" of the house in question each time you step in 1 tile away from a wife).

Last edited by sebastian (2014-01-31 19:25:00)

#6 2014-01-31 20:32:55

Antiblitz

so on two separate occasions i somehow entered the house at the same exact time as another person, even though they would have been in different parts of the list, not to mention, the wives location should reset back to her starting location, i dont think she is like a dog where she just starts wherever she drops.  So i cant see how she somehow was saved 1 space up from where she would have been if it was a completed robbery as she would have moved like 12 tiles anyways.

On a Separate note, have you ever thrown around the idea of increasing the value of items(building supplies) based on the fact that the wife is dead?  or the family in general?  Maybe the local hardware store owner found out you failed to protect your wife, or rather didnt care to and stuck her at the door to get her killed intentionally.  So he sells you the building supplies at an inflated cost because he dislikes you, it kind of brings a greater reward to those who keep the wife and children alive, vs the people who would rather not.  This in turn would give incentive and increase the flow of money out of the game.

EDIT:
im aware you arent the admin, nor the creator of the game, and therefore the second paragraph was not particularly labeled for you, but for Jason as a idea.

Last edited by Antiblitz (2014-01-31 21:07:26)

#7 2014-01-31 20:50:07

sebastian

Antiblitz: Im not the admin :-)
Im just a programmer who understands technology and why some "strange" things happen.
Like why credits card somtimes gets double charged when attempting to pay at a webshop that is experiencing a overload.

What I have understand, the actual reset of the house and saving of persistence happens at end of robbery, so if 2 robbers somehow entered the house at the same time, very strange things can happen.

Thats the only viable Tought I have on this "problem"... Since I doubt the server would accept a house that would violate the game rules.

#8 2014-02-01 00:43:28

DaVinci

sebastian wrote:

Im just a programmer who understands technology and why some "strange" things happen.
Like why credits card somtimes gets double charged when attempting to pay at a webshop that is experiencing a overload.

I thought everybody would know that.

But, I like how you then link this CC double charge with the "2 robbers" thing. The game doesn't work like that.

Robber sends end map.
Server gets map.

So 2 robbers getting in the same time is NOT possible.

But, it wouldn't do anything as the last robber to finish up will just send the original map used.

The game is open-sourced. fear teh cheaterz.

#9 2014-02-01 04:50:11

RockyBst

Nothing to do with cheating, there's just a bug at the moment where you can duplicate the wife if she has a shotgun and is next to the vault when it's robbed.

#10 2014-02-01 05:06:26

largestherb

was a similar bug like this a while ago. must've missed the shotgun part when fixing it smile

#11 2014-02-01 08:02:58

Antiblitz

DaVinci wrote:
sebastian wrote:

I thought everybody would know that.

Antiblitz wrote:

EDIT:
im aware you arent the admin, nor the creator of the game, and therefore the second paragraph was not particularly labeled for you, but for Jason as a idea.

Im not a fool, so dont pin me up as one.  I'm well aware of who the hell the created the game, as well as the difference between a guy whose name says registered yesterday and a admin, of which we only have one.

Secondly, even if the person is not "cheating", i personally dont see the correlation between how the server could go on a duplicating spree with wives and how that has anything to do with her placement in the house.

#12 2014-02-01 09:04:34

Idylla

I can confirm my house has this same problem, I was experimenting with the wife/shotgun defence to not instantly lose all of my money... came back after 15 robberies to find 8 wives, and a load of children... damn inbreds!

qXYyz9D.jpg

#13 2014-02-01 09:27:47

colorfusion

This is really interesting. I wonder if you get the same amount of money for each one you kill. It'd be pretty interesting to also have a huge army of wives.

This might be happening because of how they return to their places after a robbery.

#14 2014-02-01 12:34:35

DaVinci

colorfusion wrote:

This is really interesting. I wonder if you get the same amount of money for each one you kill. It'd be pretty interesting to also have a huge army of wives.

This might be happening because of how they return to their places after a robbery.

I sense multiple-account money-loading technique. ;3

#15 2014-02-01 15:24:29

Blip

This is very odd... I wonder how it happens? I would probably guess that it involves multiple SQL queries that contradicted themselves regarding wife placement, i.e. two requests for a house map are made at the exact same time (within machine precision) and a map is sent to both.  Both clients return a final map. Somehow, there is a problem regarding either two wives in the same tile or multiple wives in different tiles. The server solves this by having both wives there.

At least that's my guess.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#16 2014-02-01 15:54:15

colorfusion

Blip wrote:

This is very odd... I wonder how it happens? I would probably guess that it involves multiple SQL queries that contradicted themselves regarding wife placement, i.e. two requests for a house map are made at the exact same time (within machine precision) and a map is sent to both.  Both clients return a final map. Somehow, there is a problem regarding either two wives in the same tile or multiple wives in different tiles. The server solves this by having both wives there.

At least that's my guess.

There was a bug before with family/pets trying to return to a spot that was blocked by another family/pet, perhaps it's something to do with that.

Both of the cases we've seen so far have a wife with a shotgun, so perhaps wives with shotguns reset differently (as they need to change state back too) than normal family members?

I'm likely completely off here though.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-01 16:03:15)

#17 2014-02-01 19:11:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh.... man!

Can reproduce on my end.  Wife must step NEXT to vault in her last step (so she steps next to vault when the robber steps onto the vault).  Haven't tested whether shotgun carry is necessary.

Also amusing that the second wife can pick up an invisible shotgun from the trigger lock.

Anyway, this is client-side bug that will take a new release to fix.

#18 2014-02-01 19:20:31

Blip

jasonrohrer wrote:

Wife must step NEXT to vault in her last step (so she steps next to vault when the robber steps onto the vault).  Haven't tested whether shotgun carry is necessary.

Also amusing that the second wife can pick up an invisible shotgun from the trigger lock.

Ooh! Time to build a wife army! tongue

Edit: Yup, it works! Cool!

Last edited by Blip (2014-02-01 19:36:10)

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#19 2014-02-02 05:57:27

gyuri

Should it work this way? Because it doesn't.

UjwwKqa.gif

#20 2014-02-02 06:11:50

colorfusion

gyuri wrote:

Should it work this way? Because it doesn't.

http://i.imgur.com/UjwwKqa.gif

That should work, but you need someone to actually rob your house (so the damage is saved), not just a self test.

Board footer