The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-01 15:49:32

Giacom

Robbing all the top houses.

So there was this guy with a billion tools, robbing other houses and immediately replenishing his tools to break every other house.

This guy robbed my 70k house with the billion tools, not sure if they were worth more than the house. When I went to his house, to take it back, he had an open vault (didn't make a house) and my painting was there, along with tons of other paintings.

He is unlikely to die if he targets only houses which he can replenish his tools with, and with all his tools he will probably never die.

Isn't there a way to counter this? Other than making a house purely a combo lock and 100 walls thick concrete.

Edit:

Guy robbed me with $87,300 worth of tools.

Myron Steven Henderson

40 saws
14 explosives
13 welding tools
29 dog meat
14 guns
10 ladders
40 water bottles
6 wirecutters

Last edited by Giacom (2014-02-01 15:58:15)

#2 2014-02-01 16:00:14

colorfusion

Re: Robbing all the top houses.

Houses that are purely a combo lock and 100 walls thick concrete are probably the easiest to brute force through. If you put you vault somewhere unexpected, and have some clever traps, you can often kill a brute forcer.

There doesn't really seem to be an easy way to stop this kind of robbing though. Even if you make it more expensive to brute force houses, there's still going to be a point at which it becomes worth it. And by raising the cost of brute forcing, more houses will reach this raised point of being worth brute forcing through because they aren't brute forced below it.

I don't think it's too bad to have a somewhat of a cap on how protected you can get, and it's pretty neat that the most expensive houses have settled naturally at $1,000,000.

#3 2014-02-01 17:07:34

protox13

colorfusion wrote:

Houses that are purely a combo lock and 100 walls thick concrete are probably the easiest to brute force through. If you put you vault somewhere unexpected, and have some clever traps, you can often kill a brute forcer.

There doesn't really seem to be an easy way to stop this kind of robbing though. Even if you make it more expensive to brute force houses, there's still going to be a point at which it becomes worth it. And by raising the cost of brute forcing, more houses will reach this raised point of being worth brute forcing through because they aren't brute forced below it.

I don't think it's too bad to have a somewhat of a cap on how protected you can get, and it's pretty neat that the most expensive houses have settled naturally at $1,000,000.

Are those houses filled with powered trapdoors? My most expensive build tops out under $80k and I think it's fairly robust.

#4 2014-02-01 18:18:58

FreeDance

Hey Giacom, that was me. I love chain robbing like that. Not really into building and maintaining a house most of the time, so I just start robbing a cheap house, then roll all my money into tools and work my way up the list. Took about 6 robberies to get to the top house today (which was insane, but thankfully the safe was in the top-left corner––it's usually in one of the corners so that's my first destination when brute-forcing). Then you're right, I just spend ALL my cash on tools and work my way down the list––I did about 7 or 8 of the top houses today, then double-tapped into a dog.

It know it seems to break the game to rob a house with way more in tools than it's worth, but I think it's a fair play style. I just want to see the rich fall...

And if there was some Robin Hood way to donate money to poor houses I would definitely be into that.

#5 2014-02-01 19:24:42

protox13

FreeDance wrote:

Hey Giacom, that was me. I love chain robbing like that. Not really into building and maintaining a house most of the time, so I just start robbing a cheap house, then roll all my money into tools and work my way up the list. Took about 6 robberies to get to the top house today (which was insane, but thankfully the safe was in the top-left corner––it's usually in one of the corners so that's my first destination when brute-forcing). Then you're right, I just spend ALL my cash on tools and work my way down the list––I did about 7 or 8 of the top houses today, then double-tapped into a dog.

It know it seems to break the game to rob a house with way more in tools than it's worth, but I think it's a fair play style. I just want to see the rich fall...

And if there was some Robin Hood way to donate money to poor houses I would definitely be into that.

Ha, that's a new playing style I haven't heard of before! You must have robbed my house once when it was worth up to $20k- I think someone came in with an absurd amount of tools (same 40 saws and water bottles) and came very close to my vault, but had exhausted the tools he needed to breach my final defenses and walked out. If that was you, well done!

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-01 19:26:44)

Board footer