The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-01 12:53:01

ladida

Career style

I had a quite successful house that I started yesterday. I am new to the game, only a few hours of playing maybe. Every time a few robbers died I improved it more and nobody seemed to (really) got into it without using a lot of tools. On a relatively low level.. wooden walls only. Then I lost it.. loosing is fun, thats why I like games like dwarf fortress or even DayZ, you start with nothing and build up your base or character, and you know you WILL lose it. So that "slow" building style was the way I was playing until today. When I started a new house today, I decided to test "chain robbery" a bit. So I died a few times with 5 saws only. Found out, that there a quite a lot 5k-10k houses with wooden walls only (like mine before), made my way through the walls to the large open area so many players have behind their constructions. And suprise suprise.. it wasnt difficult where to break in to find the vault (one way dead end).
It seems to be easier to look for those 5k-10k houses, get the money and the tools and then finally break into an larger house: So I (as a "noob") bruteforced a 30k house and got it all.

Then it took me 3 hours to build a really nice house, with concrete and steel walls, magic dances and may dogs to protect my familiy. I liked it and tested it carefully many times. When finished, I wrote down every step to the vault, tested it in my mind in the editor.

And walked into a pit.

This very moment, when I realized that everything was gone, 3 hours of creative work. Thought about getting angry. And laughed.

I love these games and hope this wont change in the future.

One question to the "old" players here: Whats your "career style"? Do you rob a "basic starting money" at the beginning?

#2 2014-02-01 13:30:31

setz
Website

Re: Career style

Glad that you experienced the love, anger and laughter this game brings. I myself, having played this game for almost a year now, have had that experience of dying while just putting in hours of work multiple times. I usually end up quitting the game (after staring at my screen sadly for 5 minutes not wanting to confirm my death) but then come back the next day more eager than before. Its the beauty of this game and it's not going anywhere. smile

#3 2014-02-01 15:17:15

Blip

As somebody who's been playing for so long, I would say that I normally do a slow build by instinct. I've tried chain robbing, and did pretty well at it, but it just isn't my natural playstyle. I usually only try a chain robbery when I have plans for building a house that needs a crazy amount of cash to build and can't be built over time. Also, with the packed weekly schedule I have, a slow build style is more fun by allowing my house to get money throughout the day from bounties, then upgrading bit by bit in the evening when I can play.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#4 2014-02-01 16:49:12

protox13

I have to say, the anxiety I have when self-testing and frustration/loss when I die self-testing is quite strong, but I am strangely inspired and compelled to make better and better house designs after every death. I can't quite remember when I've been engaged by a game, both intellectually and emotionally, like this one.

#5 2014-02-02 02:22:24

Cent

I usually spend all of my money off the bat to build a efficient value house that I can still upgrade later. Then I go door to door without tools and play super safe. After an hour or so, I have an extra 2-4k which I can use to upgrade my house substantially, and I continue to enlarge it until it takes up all the real estate. You can do this with wooden walls, because you'll realise, 1 cement wall is only worth 3 layers of wooden walls, yet cost disproportionately more. So, don't try to save space at first. After I have a surplus of 20-30k, I can completely renovate the place and make a suitable fortress. Usually by that point, I'm no longer robbing. I save money for paintings, and rarely on a whim, demolish some rich guys house.

#6 2014-02-02 08:09:23

ladida

Thats interesting. Ive experienced that in other games where you can loose all: At the beginning you act quite risky. With the wealth comes the fear of loosing all and you are more careful. Personally I agree with cent and blip.. at the moment I prefer a slow style.

My current house got 5000$ bounties over night, but it was also bruteforced and my wife was killed, so I had 0$ this morning and a destroyed house. Luckily I got 200$ from a very easy robbery and reconstructed the basic traps. Now I have about 100$ and barely anyone is robbing me. I think there is a value about 300-500$ you have to start with in your vault to draw people to your house. On the other hand.. if you have more than 4000$ its possible to be bruteforced with starter tools. And I cant do anything against 2000$ tools when someone is quite experienced or a bit lucky with a new house.

#7 2014-02-02 10:34:11

Cent

Usually at the start, people trickle in slowly because there's not really any gain for them. In reality, you won't spend yourself down to exactly 0, but you'll be close, and people will try to visit for a few bucks anyway. So yeah, the early stages are slow, but that only takes half an hour or so before your first kill and it exponentially speeds up from there. Im not even too worried about doing successful robberies on others, and I'll poke around cheap houses like the one I just put up to see if I can snag a few bucks too.

#8 2014-02-02 14:21:36

ladida

True.. my current state is about 2h old, have 15 visitors and 13 kills or so. They brought 20k of tools and 3-4k of money. Breaking in more expensive houses with all those tools seems to be possible but quite risky.. maybe ill try this later big_smile

I wonder if any of the victims will come back later to kill my wife.. she almost got 80% of the kills or so.

Last edited by ladida (2014-02-02 14:25:16)

#9 2014-02-09 14:20:10

jere

I've been having a lot of fun with chain robbing. It's so much more fun than defending a house and robbing at the same time.

I didn't realize how powerful bricks, water, and wirecutters were. I just had a chain of 6k->20k-> Robbing Salazar (he had ~$50k and I was like 3 tiles away from the vault and died).

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#10 2014-02-09 17:28:07

jere

So frustrating when I manage to cut through and figure out 3 separate combos perfectly, I leave to come back and.... homeowner gets in and changes them.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

Board footer