The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-02 23:55:17

xover88

One thing that I wish this game had.

So far I am enjoying making unescapeable traps, I think this game really lack of sound sad
I wish there are going to be a sound for alerted pitbull, wife's shotgun fire, you dying and such.
I think that will give some fear for intruders.

#2 2014-02-03 01:41:00

Cent

Re: One thing that I wish this game had.

Personally, the lack of sound is creepier and more atmospheric. Just the flat eerie tones of the ambiance is enough to stress you out. Maybe some scary mechanical sounds of trapdoors/powered doors slamming open and shut ala Silent Hill?

#3 2014-02-03 14:13:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of "buzz bloop" sounds in video games.  I find that they are cool at first, but get REALLY annoying over time, and especially annoying to other people in the room who aren't playing the game.

So, instead, I build real, dynamic music into my games.  Music that never repeats, and therefore never gets grating the way BANG CLANG BANG BARK would.

#4 2014-02-03 15:01:00

DrPompo

oh oh, i have an idea. how about a chance to leave a suicide note if you are killing yourself in another house. just to let them know a little something of your last thoughts. maybe a congratulation for a clever trap or a frustration outlet to just go FUUUUUUUUU.

maybe its a game breaker since it allows for real life communication tho, haddnt thought about that...

#5 2014-02-03 15:09:36

colorfusion

Is the dynamic music easily controllable? A loud "DUNNNNNN...", similar to the ones already present, when shooting the wife might be less obnoxious than bleepy sound effects but still add ambience.

DrPompo wrote:

oh oh, i have an idea. how about a chance to leave a suicide note if you are killing yourself in another house. just to let them know a little something of your last thoughts. maybe a congratulation for a clever trap or a frustration outlet to just go FUUUUUUUUU.

maybe its a game breaker since it allows for real life communication tho, haddnt thought about that...

99% of suicide notes would be full of expletives, or complaining about cheap tactics, probably the worst time to get feedback on your house from a user.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-03 15:48:13)

#6 2014-02-03 15:43:26

DrPompo

colorfusion wrote:

Is the dynamic music easily controllable? A loud "DUNNNNNNNN", similar to the ones already present, when shooting the wife might be less obnoxious than bleepy sound effects but still add ambience.

99% of suicide notes would be full of expletives, or complaining about cheap tactics, probably the worst time to get feedback on your house from a user.

yeah, you are right, but i still wish i could congratulate some clever people on their houses before leaving the world.

#7 2014-02-03 17:59:27

Drakol

Different tracks of music would be good... or the integrated ability to stream music from a folder, etc.

#8 2014-02-03 18:26:54

nathan

Drakol wrote:

Different tracks of music would be good... or the integrated ability to stream music from a folder, etc.

Can't you just turn off the in-game music and listen to something else?

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#9 2014-02-03 18:41:28

Drakol

Depends, on personal situation - but most of the time, yes, you are correct.

Board footer