The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-02-03 15:51:31

Shalune

Re: Countering brute forcing with heat, noise, and fuel

There's been some talk in this thread about how new players may think robbery is too hard from lack of experience. As someone who just picked up the game as it came out on Steam I can say that's not the case for all.

Granted I really love diving into logic problems more than most and have sunk a lot of thought into this game, it became very quickly apparent the power of tools. While I still enjoy thinking up interesting trap designs, it's become very discouraging. I think "Well unless I babysit my home to spend money as it comes, I'll quickly reach the reward outweighing the cost of tools. And even then, what's my goal? Eventually get a master design that can still be broken by enough tools?"

protox13 wrote:
ventuswings wrote:
protox13 wrote:

We're all ears, then. What's your proposal?

Let's just see how much of a effect 'more tools = less time' update have, then add more system if necessary. I am rather cautious about dumping bunch of new systems with varying foreseen and unforeseen consequences on a single patch.

Without Big Heat or an equivalent, fuel and wheelbarrow burden will not prevent a robber from making several consecutive attempts at cracking a house- it's just spread out over several trips instead of one big one. Fundamentally, a rich robber is still unstoppable. Given enough time and money a robber can still be confident that he can crack a house with no fear of death or being beaten to it by other robbers, which IMHO is unbalanced. Other robbers and the homeowner are left out in the cold.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

PS: While discouraging, it isn't altogether dissuading. I've put in 18 hours since I bought the game, not counting time building in my head and on paper at work, and plan to spend many more.

#27 2014-02-03 17:58:22

Drakol

The only problem with this - is that it encourages Home Owners to create traps they know will take a very long time - So that if you even have Five tools, you will not make it to the end. Though, no one is really that OCD with this game... right?

#28 2014-02-03 18:05:46

protox13

Drakol wrote:

The only problem with this - is that it encourages Home Owners to create traps they know will take a very long time - So that if you even have Five tools, you will not make it to the end. Though, no one is really that OCD with this game... right?

You can still make multiple trips (fewer with more tools, or more with fewer tools) within the space of an hour. Again, a skilled, persistent, and sufficiently equipped (and lucky) robber will still prevail.

#29 2014-02-03 18:25:08

ventuswings

I think one of the main problem is that we haven't determined on clear activation condition for Big Heat yet.

Somebody builds a house with 10 doors (9 with dog and 1 with safe), but no commit gate, so I decide to run back to the entrance upon reaching wrong door and try again - each trip therefore takes about 20 seconds. About four times into doing this, I'm suddenly hit with 6 hour ban?

I have no problem with normal Heat that blocks re-try for certain amount of time depending on amount of step taken, tool etc. but Big Heat seems too arbitrary.

Last edited by ventuswings (2014-02-03 18:28:29)

#30 2014-02-03 18:57:20

protox13

ventuswings wrote:

I think one of the main problem is that we haven't determined on clear activation condition for Big Heat yet.

Somebody builds a house with 10 doors (9 with dog and 1 with safe), but no commit gate, so I decide to run back to the entrance upon reaching wrong door and try again - each trip therefore takes about 20 seconds. About four times into doing this, I'm suddenly hit with 6 hour ban?

I have no problem with normal Heat that blocks re-try for certain amount of time depending on amount of step taken, tool etc. but Big Heat seems too arbitrary.

The point of Big Heat is to force effective scouting through some combination of skill and money, and study what you've learned in the increasing downtime between raids. If you can't think to bring a dozen drugged meats and defeat a $3.5 security system with $1k of meat on your second or third run, that's on you (and on the owner for such an unimaginative defense).

Even if a skillful or rich player only gets close to the vault, they are committed after several runs and spending some money, so a homeowner must respond or risk losing his vault and/or wife once the heat dies down. He's still screwed if he's on "vacation" or lacks the money or imagination to respond.

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-03 18:57:50)

Board footer