The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-27 17:31:33

jere

Re: FAQ Page

Heh. Check the post again Cabnormal. I googled it originally and was like what? That's not right. It's an interesting thought though.

If you spend 9 minutes in a house you will start hearing sirens and a minute count-down will begin. If it reaches 0 before you escape or reach the vault you will be arrested (die).

How did I miss this!?!?! I haven't even encountered it this weekend. I guess I don't spend that long in houses.

Q: The white number is how many steps, so what does the red number next to peoples name who have been in my house mean?

Like the house listing, it is how many people died in your house before that robber entered.

Last edited by jere (2014-01-27 17:33:29)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#27 2014-01-27 23:32:11

okami316

jere wrote:

Q: The white number is how many steps, so what does the red number next to peoples name who have been in my house mean?

Like the house listing, it is how many people died in your house before that robber entered.

I was confused about that too.
I still don't understand since it mainly consists of 0s and 1s for me.

Is it the number that died before that person from when you last edited and/or checked your own home?

#28 2014-01-28 01:13:18

DethBringa

It is the number of deaths since your last edit. If it gets too high and you want more people in you can do a quick edit and reset it back to 0.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#29 2014-01-28 09:31:34

okami316

DethBringa wrote:

It is the number of deaths since your last edit. If it gets too high and you want more people in you can do a quick edit and reset it back to 0.

Ah okay that makes sense. I guess that's also why I kept seeing houses I've visited go back to 0. At first I thought it meant they died and started over, which confused me as to why I saw houses over 5k that had 0 people that came in.

#30 2014-01-28 14:52:59

RockyBst

I personally tend to buy another pitbull whenever I get to ten deaths, to reset the clock. Running out of space to put them all...

#31 2014-01-28 15:07:08

Nilin

I have a question, when a robber dies in my house and I get the bounty, I assume that adds to my house value?... what happens if I spend the balance on more traps, does my house value decrease since I spent the money on the new additions or does it stay the same?

#32 2014-01-28 15:11:54

jere

Yes and yes. Bounties simply add to your cash value. You withdraw from that cash value to build things.

#33 2014-01-28 15:36:54

Nilin

jere wrote:

Yes and yes. Bounties simply add to your cash value. You withdraw from that cash value to build things.

Does that mean a rich person could intentionally decrease their house value by buying more traps and things to not appear to be so rich?

#34 2014-01-28 15:42:52

RockyBst

Yes, exactly. You can do the exact same thing with paintings. Hence why I currently have 8.

Or you can buy tools, then resell them for half the value.

EDIT: This is also why there's some very complex houses in the $1,000 range. People spend all their money beefing up security, then nobody robs them 'cos it's not worthwhile. Hence no bounty money. It's a balancing act. Too much money, too tempting for somehow to spaff 50k on tools to take your 200k. Too little, everyone will walk in the door then straight back out again.

Last edited by RockyBst (2014-01-28 15:44:41)

#35 2014-01-28 15:56:31

Nilin

Thanks smile... was curious how it worked and yeah.. have to balance it somehow but don't wanna appear too rich till I build more stuff!

#36 2014-01-30 14:23:06

curiosity

Just wondering what the official policy on making youtube videos and monetising them is.

#37 2014-01-30 14:52:37

colorfusion

curiosity wrote:

Just wondering what the official policy on making youtube videos and monetising them is.

"This work is not copyrighted.
   Do whatever you want with it, absolutely no restrictions, and no permission necessary."

Quote from the no_copyright file, so monetising videos should be absolutely fine.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-01-30 14:52:54)

#38 2014-01-31 03:01:06

curiosity

colorfusion wrote:
curiosity wrote:

"This work is not copyrighted.
   Do whatever you want with it, absolutely no restrictions, and no permission necessary."

Quote from the no_copyright file, so monetising videos should be absolutely fine.

Well that's refreshing. I foresee a whole lot of let's plays of this game heh.

#39 2014-01-31 05:45:49

joshwithguitar

Can we have a sticky link to this page on the steam forums? I keep seeing the same questions coming up.

Also, if anyone is noticing that certain questions keep on getting asked that are not in the list please post them here.

#40 2014-01-31 05:57:16

joshwithguitar

I just added this question:

Q. Is there a simple way to find out my own name?

A. No, your name is intentionally obscured. This makes collusion between friends more difficult. See this thread for Jason's reasons.

#41 2014-02-01 22:02:33

joshwithguitar

In light of recent common questions popping up I've added two more:

Q. There is a pit bull in Mr X's house that won't move towards me even though it has seen me and the space in front of it is empty. When I tried to move next to it to club it it suddenly jumped on me! What gives?

A. Pets will not step next to another dead pet unless the robber also occupies the same square. They hate the smell and don't want to go too close.
What you will find is that there is a dead pet near the pit bull (probably in a pit, if you mouse over it will tell you). When you step next to the dog it decides that eating you is worth stepping next to its fallen friend and so you get killed. Bring a gun next time if you want to get past it!

Q. Mr X is a cheater! He came into my house and walked straight through my maze to my vault, picking the correct path every time...

A. Although it is possible you have been targeted by a legitimate cheater it is much more likely that Mr X simply got lucky. Many alleged cheaters have been reported to Jason since the launch and the vast majority have turned out to be players simply getting lucky. You have to take into account all of the times that players unsuccessfully tried to get to your vault. Even if there is only a 1/100 chance that someone picks the right paths, with enough players the chance that someone gets lucky is actually quite high.

If the odds seem so absurd that even all the robberies happening in the game put together wouldn't guess it, such as someone guesses your 25 bit, 8 wall thick bit lock first try when no one had so much as dug into the walls to have a look then post it up or contact Jason - jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm.

#42 2014-02-01 22:15:37

protox13

joshwithguitar wrote:

A. Although it is possible you have been targeted by a legitimate cheater it is much more likely that Mr X simply got lucky. Many alleged cheaters have been reported to Jason since the launch and the vast majority have turned out to be players simply getting lucky. You have to take into account all of the times that players unsuccessfully tried to get to your vault. Even if there is only a 1/100 chance that someone picks the right paths, with enough players the chance that someone gets lucky is actually quite high.

If the odds seem so absurd that even all the robberies happening in the game put together wouldn't guess it, such as someone guesses your 25 bit, 8 wall thick bit lock first try when no one had so much as dug into the walls to have a look then post it up or contact Jason - jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm.

If they can get past a complex or dual magic dance on the first try without tools, that would definitely be suspicious too.

#43 2014-02-01 22:34:22

joshwithguitar

Hmm, depends on how complex. When I first introduced clocks I made a disco room that had a 2D magic dance that I was sure would never be breached. Many many people tried and failed but eventually someone came in and lucked out (with a different dance to the one I intended but one that worked none-the-less).

#44 2014-02-03 15:02:49

protox13

joshwithguitar wrote:

Hmm, depends on how complex. When I first introduced clocks I made a disco room that had a 2D magic dance that I was sure would never be breached. Many many people tried and failed but eventually someone came in and lucked out (with a different dance to the one I intended but one that worked none-the-less).

It's awesome that you have a disco room in the post-apocalyptic world of Castle Doctrine. Let me bring my afro and some explosives, then let's party! big_smile

#45 2014-02-04 01:57:30

eraser2011

I have a simple question for you clever guys: I'm only getting a 50$ bounty when people are dieing in my house. Some time before it was 200$, what is wrong? By the way my whole family got murdered, if this has something to do with it.

6b246aca.png

Edit: FOUND IT: http://steamcommunity.com/app/249570/di … 6691536470
But he could have made a announcement or something!

Last edited by eraser2011 (2014-02-04 02:48:16)

#46 2014-02-22 02:43:52

Leaf

Why is my door not working?

0lor.jpg

#47 2014-02-22 03:37:52

joshwithguitar

Leaf wrote:

Because steal walls are no longer conductive. It's written in the OP under the first question:

"Steel walls no longer transmit power, use wired wooden walls instead."

#48 2014-02-22 09:02:13

jere

New mechanic: steal walls.

#49 2014-02-22 10:16:06

MMaster

jere wrote:

New mechanic: steal walls.

This made me laugh really hard :-)

#50 2014-02-25 01:43:01

joshwithguitar

Added:

Q. Jason, can you please remove permadeath from failed self tests? This would make the game so much better!

A. Jason has made it very clear a number of times that death during self tests is an important part of the game and will not be removed. The game is mean to be punishing - (see: "Why is the game so punishing?" below) - and the feeling of suspense during self tests and the crushing feeling of falling to your own traps are important parts of the experience of the game. Also, as you'll be subjecting many others to your deadly traps, it is only fair that falling to them yourself will have the same consequence.

jasonrohrer wrote:

it's a game about being CAREFUL around dangerous things (in part).

To prevent yourself from dying in your own houses there are a number of measures you can take:

- test your house replacing electric floors with red indicator lights, trapdoors and electric doors with green lights and pitbulls with chihuahuas. This way you can know if your traps are working as intended without risking your life. Make sure to exit out the front door rather than reaching the vault. Be aware that pet behaviour may be different as real traps may effect pets differently than lights.
- create back doors that let you escape if things go wrong and close them up before the final test. This lets you test out electric doors safely without having to replace them with lights allowing pet movement to be more accurate.
- don't make your house overly dangerous/difficult to self test. If you make a house that requires 20 unique magic dances don't be surprised if you get one wrong in and end up dead. Make sure you are very confident in the correct way to solve a house before you test with real traps.

Board footer