The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 10:44:51

setz
Website

This must be a clock level? (Game death no longer your fault)

NOCLOCK_zps6bdd8b03.jpg

This house must be using a clock because there is no windows or anything to allow an animal or family member to see me. This brings me back to last summer when magic dances ruled supreme and animals could move without having to see you. Clocks break the game in my mind now because the whole point of making it so animals have to see you eliminated EVERY house requiring exact steps with some crazy magic dance. Even though most houses nowadays are programmed so that when you see the animal most of the time, the next step you are dead, but ATLEAST you know what killed you. Its YOUR fault. Houses with clocks remove the fact that every time you die in this game its YOUR fault. Soon every house will be have a clock and the game will be back to the early version with no window/animal movement. Hopefully these are removed.

Last edited by setz (2014-02-04 11:01:28)

#2 2014-02-04 10:47:33

RevealingGekco

Re: This must be a clock level? (Game death no longer your fault)

In this case, couldn't you just dance back and forth on those first two tiles to try to figure out the clock cycle?

#3 2014-02-04 11:01:16

jere

Magic dances and clock houses are some of my favorite wizardry. And as others have said, it's at least more interesting than combination lock corridors.

Haven't seen this house but it should be pretty easy to manage that entrance. Walk back and forth for a dozen steps to make sure nothing activates.  Then make another trip to the house to go past the floors...

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#4 2014-02-04 11:02:53

ukuko

Bet you won't fall for that trick again, though!

#5 2014-02-04 11:12:49

colorfusion

It's pretty rare for a clock to have a cycle of more than 8 steps (although completely possible), so a little back and forth dance is all it takes. Tricks like this may not seem your fault, but after the first death to it you'll hopefully remember to check for it forever.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-04 11:13:14)

#6 2014-02-04 11:13:47

largestherb

this was my initial concern with clocks when they first popped up. especially as it was not too long after the whole 'if something is going to kill you, you should have seen it' change that animals underwent.

i'm still on the fence. they allow for a lot of fun things, but they definitely make me paranoid enough to cut a whole row of grids with no animals in sight. i DEFINITELY prefer meeting a row of grids that is already lit.

#7 2014-02-04 13:04:27

cbenny

Woo. That's my house.

http://castledraft.com/editor/6EJxtk

I posted it in the Meta-Game and Common Trap Mechanics section a couple days ago.

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … 7231#p7231

#8 2014-02-04 13:17:25

ventuswings

Clocks repeat, take up massive space, and still suffer from weakness of electronics.

I died once to clock trap while having 100k house and it actually impressed me, and personally feel it barely different to screen-scroll cat/chiwawa death - and don't get me started on combo locks haha. I actually appreciate the irony of this trap. Robbers will have to wiggle around a bit upon entering like before tongue

#9 2014-02-04 13:31:27

Supay

How bizarre, I just died to this house.

I am a bit confused though, as I can't understand how it was built in the first place.  All the rules I have read say that family members need a clear path to the door, yet this house has no clear path.  If I replicate building that first visible corridor alone, the game immediately heckles me for not leaving a clear path due to the electric trap tiles along the route.

Can you get around this by simply having all your family killed, then build a house as you want it?  If so, that seems a bit of a strange way for the rules to work as you'd basically want your family to die so that you can construct a more lethal house.  If I'm missing something or misunderstanding the rules, please let me know.

#10 2014-02-04 13:39:45

jere

Yes and yes. They're dead. People have repeatedly brought up this issue about the family.

#11 2014-02-04 13:40:39

Cent

No, some people let their family die. That's a strategy too. Its kind of a ruthless 'all in' strategy and bets your entire value on having a tougher safe to crack.

#12 2014-02-04 13:47:21

largestherb

Supay wrote:

I am a bit confused though, as I can't understand how it was built in the first place.  All the rules I have read say that family members need a clear path to the door, yet this house has no clear path.  If I replicate building that first visible corridor alone, the game immediately heckles me for not leaving a clear path due to the electric trap tiles along the route.

Can you get around this by simply having all your family killed, then build a house as you want it?  If so, that seems a bit of a strange way for the rules to work as you'd basically want your family to die so that you can construct a more lethal house.  If I'm missing something or misunderstanding the rules, please let me know.

no family means no exit path required.

a lot of people seem to be trading insurance (partner holding 50% of cash) for security.

#13 2014-02-04 14:33:15

Supay

Can I also assume that a proliferation of clock levels is why I see people enter and then spend a few hundred steps bouncing back and forth on the same two tiles before leaving?

#14 2014-02-04 14:35:54

jw2pfd

Supay wrote:

Can I also assume that a proliferation of clock levels is why I see people enter and then spend a few hundred steps bouncing back and forth on the same two tiles before leaving?

I will do that sometimes if the wife is visible behind glass one step inside the house.  I wait to see if she comes to the front door with a shotgun.  It is also common that her movement will be blocked by a child and never make it to the front door as well.  Only takes me a hundred steps to figure that out usually!

#15 2014-02-04 15:57:20

HaterSkater

I entered this house after reading this thread. Quite simple design, but i failed to solve bit lock

#16 2014-02-04 16:12:07

cbenny

Supay wrote:

Yes, I had to let my family die. When I first built this design I had to leave a small space at the front for my family, and eventually they were killed.

In fact, I started this thread while fiddling around with this idea.

---

I do feel really bad about this house, but as long as it works I'm going to keep it going.

Last edited by cbenny (2014-02-04 16:13:27)

#17 2014-02-04 17:59:20

Agalor

and i just entered this house...and somehow made it impossible to cross over that clock..really...stupid saw...basically i sawed a wall and made it so clock timer left me two spaces away instead of one...yay useless water!

#18 2014-02-04 20:06:37

Blip

One thing that I'm surprised we haven't yet seen is a house that combines pets, buttons, and maybe powered doors with clocks to prevent you from walking back and forth and figuring out the clock cycle. I was considering building a house this coming weekend where the clock only begins once a door locks behind you, preventing the back and forth tricks to figure out the cycle. That would essentially force people to guess and die - but also mean that they went in with full knowledge of their death by locking themselves in a corridor of pits behind a door.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#19 2014-02-04 22:28:03

cbenny

Blip wrote:

One thing that I'm surprised we haven't yet seen is a house that combines pets, buttons, and maybe powered doors with clocks to prevent you from walking back and forth and figuring out the clock cycle. I was considering building a house this coming weekend where the clock only begins once a door locks behind you, preventing the back and forth tricks to figure out the cycle. That would essentially force people to guess and die - but also mean that they went in with full knowledge of their death by locking themselves in a corridor of pits behind a door.

hmmm... interesting idea... and I like how evil it is...

However, I'm pretty sure I'd make less money with a house like that. One of the best features of the current design is that it looks like a regular commit gate, which lures a lot of players in to their doom. An electric door on the first square would scare a lot of people away. Most of my money comes from people who believe it is safe to walk right up to the button as long as they don't step on it.

Last edited by cbenny (2014-02-05 00:23:15)

#20 2014-02-05 10:28:46

colorfusion

Blip wrote:

It would be pretty difficult to set up in a way that you couldn't make yourself safe with a doorstop and drugged meat.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-05 10:29:54)

#21 2014-02-05 21:07:48

jere

I've realized the best accessory to put in your clock house: pits!

I have more people dying by stepping in a pit 2 steps from the entrance than anything else. I guess dancing back and forth trying to find the clock cycle makes people dizzy enough to jump to their deaths.

#22 2014-02-10 21:31:26

Pandamonium

cbenny wrote:

Most of my money comes from people who believe it is safe to walk right up to the button as long as they don't step on it.

I died to your trap thinking exactly that... you're evil.

smile

jere wrote:

I have more people dying by stepping in a pit 2 steps from the entrance than anything else.

I died to this misclick too... damn you and your ilk!

smile

Board footer