The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 17:00:58

Gamerlord08

Things that could be improved, For beginners especially.

I have played for about 2-3 hours, and have died countless times, in my own house, i personally think that if you die testing your own house, you shouldn't die permanently, that's unfair, what if someone spent days getting piles of cash and take a accidental step to the left and fall? all that hard work, all that, for an accident. and the fact i have no idea what im placing, or what it does, i had a hard time figuring out some things because you have to actually put it down, and test it. this game is VERY unfriendly for beginners, Dark Souls and DayZ are more lighthearted in terms of fairness. that's coming from someone who's beaten both Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls, (waiting for Dark Souls 2!) and an average DayZ player, please read this and make things simpler for the noobs, please?

#2 2014-02-04 17:02:53

JoeBlow

Re: Things that could be improved, For beginners especially.

I was in the same boat.  I read the Wiki (linked from the game main page) and learned a LOT about how the tools and home improvements work which saved a lot of deaths.

Last edited by JoeBlow (2014-02-04 17:03:13)

#3 2014-02-04 17:18:51

largestherb

dayz is friendly for new players? pft! i spent quite a while running around the beach punching zombies! not to mention the super in-depth homework you have to do to figure out how your stomach works smile

there is a wiki around somewhere, and an faq here and a few guides on how traps work and such. when you die to a mistake, well, you generally don't make that mistake again.

i think everyone here has lost many hours of work by doing an oopsie or two smile

#4 2014-02-04 18:04:29

ladida

Im here for not a whole week now. I had to read the wiki and had to use my brain. And I am reading and writing here. At least the wiki is a must for new players, the rest is experience and using your mind. I have a house with a value of 30k or so now, lasting for about 36h. This game is not about getting up too fast, but it is one of the fairest games ive ever played for new players - really! Play most other online games and you will realize that youll need months or years to be able to compete with good players because the rich stay rich - the wont ever loose their whole wealth. This is all about skill. And after a week, beeing able to break in 50k houses and get 30 kills or so a day with a good design, this is great. This game has a very high learning curve if you want.

Last edited by ladida (2014-02-04 18:22:52)

#5 2014-02-04 18:13:52

joshwithguitar

In the end dying a lot is how you learn to play this game. A good tip is not to start to ambitious. Build houses with the sole purpose of figuring out how things work and don't worry about dying - just start again and keep experimenting.

I really need to add something to the FAQ with Jason's reasons for death during self test. Every second request about this game wants it removed, it would be good for people to realise that this is not something that Jason will ever change before they start posting. Anyone got a good link to one of Jason's replies?

#6 2014-02-04 23:46:18

Gamerlord08

largestherb wrote:

dayz is friendly for new players? pft! i spent quite a while running around the beach punching zombies! not to mention the super in-depth homework you have to do to figure out how your stomach works smile

there is a wiki around somewhere, and an faq here and a few guides on how traps work and such. when you die to a mistake, well, you generally don't make that mistake again.

i think everyone here has lost many hours of work by doing an oopsie or two smile

well, when all your friends play DayZ and tell you how to do things, i guess. but, mainly i made this forum post because at first, it was FAR to hard for me, like i said before, i play DayZ, so the whole forget about death and experiment thing is new to me, (thanks for the heads up joshwithguitar) generally i do read a faq if i get fed up with things, but i just didn't want too, i had some tools figured out and figured i could work with that. i had once a house that felt unimpenitrible, but uh, yeah, i soon realized dogs everywhere doesn't work so good. but seeing how this games a "trial & error" type game, i lost most of my frustration on it, thanks for the heads up guys!

#7 2014-02-05 00:37:15

codelockfaggot

someone spent days getting piles of cash and take a accidental step to the left and fall? all that hard work, all that, for an accident. <== thats the whole point, you have to be exceedingly careful. noone feels bad that you clumsied up and died in your own trap. we all have done it. next time be more careful.

Last edited by codelockfaggot (2014-02-05 00:39:04)

#8 2014-02-05 01:29:43

DaVinci

Get your own server working where you test your castle prototypes.

Make sure THEY DO WORK before coming to main servah.

#9 2014-02-05 02:49:25

Drakol

Use Lights? Conductive and Non-Conductive Lights and Chihuahua's. For your Test, When you get to the end, just go back to the beginning. Then replace all the Lights with real traps... It's not that hard, you just have to be careful and safe.

Board footer