The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 07:11:45

Drakol

[Suggestion] Fake Wired Wall?

Everyone's seen a Wired Wall, obviously they use them as Fakes already in some cases.
But what if the game actually had an Expensive wooden wall, that had wiring (Registered as Wired Wall when you pointed at it as a Robber)
That was NOT Conductive?

(Added from later post)
It would also make something like this work.
http://castledraft.com/editor/Q4VHkh
If there were -Fake- Wired Walls (Non Conductive), Both Traps would be Identical - Except that the Fake Wired wall would cost a lot more.

Last edited by Drakol (2014-02-05 02:47:15)

#2 2014-02-04 10:23:24

largestherb

Re: [Suggestion] Fake Wired Wall?

don't connect your wire wall to power. there you have a fake wire wall!

#3 2014-02-04 11:17:55

sebastian

largestherb: He meant that he want to do a wired wall that seem to connect a Power source and stepping plate to lets say a door, to lure the user into pressing the button, but the button instead activates a trap.

#4 2014-02-04 18:32:45

joshwithguitar

You can already do a lot of clever things that play with player expectations, such as have a button that has two un-powered electric floors next to it and nothing else conductive and have the powered floors both turn on when you press the button. Likewise, you can have it that a button sitting next to an 'on' orange light and connecting on the other side to a pit trap so you think it will power it when you press it instead causes the entire circuit to go dead and closes a door behind you.

#5 2014-02-04 19:57:33

Drakol

It's to disguise Real Wired Walls, or have Wired Walls, that in the middle of Circuits, but do not conduct (Don't send signals)
Making deception a lot more valid against Brute Force, etc. It would undoubtedly make the game a bit harder...

Also, this isn't to do with "Clever" or "Inventive" - It is just as it says on the thread title. 
A "Fake" Wired Wall, basically a Normal Wooden Wall, that when you look at it, it says Wired Wall, but doesn't do anything a Wired Wall does.
So no triggering traps, no accidentally transferring power, you could use it as a filler that attracts brute force users toward a direction, that leads to nothing.
While it does nothing to your actual bases layout. Bottom line - A Wired Wall that is NOT Conductive.

#6 2014-02-05 00:47:13

largestherb

it is so easy to have wired walls that don't go to any source of power, i don't understand the need..

can you draw out a castledraft example showing a few ways this would be useful? i am really struggling

#7 2014-02-05 01:37:53

codelockfaggot

i could seriously use fake wired walls. space is an issue when you get to the endgame, and i dont have space to make "fake" wired walls that doesnt connect to the real grids.

#8 2014-02-05 02:42:58

Drakol

largestherb wrote:

it is so easy to have wired walls that don't go to any source of power, i don't understand the need..

can you draw out a castledraft example showing a few ways this would be useful? i am really struggling

Imagine a complex trap that uses a lot of bridges and wired walls.
You can create safe spots, yet have power sources behind the -Fake- wired walls.

Like if there is a line of wall, that you know someone is going to brute force to take out the wiring, one of them could be fake, allowing the one wall to be a split between two different traps, etc.

If there were -Fake- Wired Walls (Non Conductive), Both Traps would be Identical - Except that the Fake Wired wall would cost a lot more.
(Edited First post to Include this)

codelockfaggot wrote:

i could seriously use fake wired walls. space is an issue when you get to the endgame, and i dont have space to make "fake" wired walls that doesnt connect to the real grids.

Another one of the reasons why they may have a purpose.

Along with the fact that it would open up so many trap ideas, with just one single block, that does nothing. Except deceive.

Last edited by Drakol (2014-02-05 02:46:42)

#9 2014-02-05 03:33:21

GoogleFrog

Fake wired walls sound unfair and opens a whole new level of deception which I don't think we need. What would be next? Fake floor which is actually a pit? There are lots of more interesting ways to deceive people and they are all "fair" in the sense that if they could see the workings of your house they would be able to figure out a solution.

#10 2014-02-05 04:03:41

Drakol

GoogleFrog wrote:

Fake wired walls sound unfair and opens a whole new level of deception which I don't think we need. What would be next? Fake floor which is actually a pit? There are lots of more interesting ways to deceive people and they are all "fair" in the sense that if they could see the workings of your house they would be able to figure out a solution.

The difference is that it is Fair - Because it isn't dangerous alone - Unlike the idea of a Fake Floor... which would just be douche'y.

P.s. - Same thing could be said with leap of faith traps, combinations, or clocks - compared to just deception.
As one takes a so called "Fair" route and the other is "Unfair"? Fairness is Subjective.

Last edited by Drakol (2014-02-05 04:05:39)

#11 2014-02-05 06:00:52

largestherb

Drakol wrote:

http://castledraft.com/editor/kIYutW

with the new, very strict limits on what is actually visible, the power supplies/lights are hidden anyway. you can tell there isn't a wall there, but you can't tell what is actually there without directly viewing the tile.

Board footer