The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-06 07:29:52

comg

Server with "small puzzles" ?

Hi there!

I played the game for the last few days and I really enjoy it!

But, I like creating small designs: They are way to easy to brute force. And if they look scary, nobody go further than the 3rd tile...
I like solving elegant problems: There are only big intricated labyrinths out there. You can't rob anything without a sh*tload of money... Or a lot of luck!

The game is awesome and I'm thinking on setting up a server with custom rules for my friends and I, but I was wondering if someone already had a server with these kind of rules:
- Limited money for building (You can do a lot with 3000) + limited items
- Limited tools for robbing (3 of each?)
I'd love to play with players who have the same interest smile

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all of you big_smile

ComG

#2 2014-02-06 07:46:59

DaVinci

Re: Server with "small puzzles" ?

Added you in steam.

#3 2014-02-06 09:13:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It would actually be possible to create a server that gave everyone smaller maps to work with.  Like 13x13 maps (one screen only), or even smaller.  The map size is controlled by the server.

(Though you'd have to tweak the server source code a bit to make this work...)

But just limiting money can be done with NO code changes (can all be controlled in the server settings file.)

#4 2014-02-06 14:00:15

super_maçon

I would love to try it.

#5 2014-02-06 15:38:46

HaterSkater

Added too. I'd like to check out custom servers. Btw how i actually connect to custom server?

#6 2014-02-07 02:01:45

Drakol

I'd like to try this out.
Cause I'm getting fed up by intricate mazes that get your hopes up.
Then... you end up with a Combination lock at the end.  xD

*Emails you*

#7 2014-02-09 15:00:13

comg

Hello everyone!

Don't add me, write me, I'll let you know if i get a server running ^^

This weekend I just checked with a friend who has a server, and I might try to do something. But i'm no modder nor expert coder, so i'll see what i can do and will share with you.

@Jason : I mean limiting money for building (ie. I have 20000$ but i can use only 3000$ in my house, in total). I guess that's a bit more coding smile

So, guys, what should have this mod, I'd like your input on this.
I'm thinking about:

- Smaller map (13x13 sounds good)
- Limited budget for building (2000$)
- Adding rotated objects (since we'd have less room for building)
- Limited number of tools for robbery (1-3 of each)

What's your feeling Jason about this? Do you think it does fit your idea of the game?

#8 2014-02-09 18:28:00

JoyOfTrapping

I would be happy to try the small-scale server.  I like to try and build tight, where everything has a purpose and the pieces of the puzzle work together physically or psychologically in some kind of synergy.  I do enjoy that some of the themes of the game are the freedom and power the player is provided with, but I don't enjoy when people use that power to just make a colossal pitbull labyrinth.  Of course, as I said, I appreciate that they are free to do so.  I prefer to build, and rob, houses in which that power has been tightly coiled and compressed into something intricate and interesting.  It's fun to see how far you can stretch a few hundred dollars, squeezing it down into a seriously effective ball of death.

A server with limits might be fun.  A $4000 or so cap might be fun, $2000 seems a bit low.  That is only my opinion though.

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#9 2014-02-09 22:15:57

joshwithguitar

If you have a look at the early stages of development of the game you'll see that limiting tool numbers can create all sorts of problems. Even with 3 tools of each it would be quite simple to create a house like this that would be pretty much impossible to solve:
http://castledraft.com/editor/cvglS7

This house requires a minimum of >= 4 ladders and/or >= 4 water to brute force. You could make it require more if you sacrificed the commit gate.

Even with a tool stack limit of 8 you could create a house that would require a lot of work to get through:
http://castledraft.com/editor/thWpcA

This magic dance has only 128 possible combinations with a cost of 1 water to test each, though this is assuming that you don't bother with ladders and assume that it is not a trick setup like this: http://castledraft.com/editor/W1FdUZ.

8 of each tool would be pretty effective at smashing through most interesting houses, so setting the limit to 8 or higher would probably remove the whole point of a limit to begin with.

A better solution might be a total tool limit (like there was when Jason started) with the number high enough to make sure impossible houses can't be created. It might seem that this would be 18 (the maximum number of tiles that can be between you and the vault) but walls laced with dogs could force you to use more than one tool per tile as you need to drug a pitbull for every two tiles cut through. So the number of tools needed to break any house will be somewhere between 18 and 27. It might be an interesting exercise to try to make a map that requires the largest number of tools to break.

Anyway, good luck with this, I hope this helps.

#10 2014-02-10 12:30:01

largestherb

comg wrote:

or leave the map the same size so you don't have to add the rotating objects?

*shrugs*

why set a cool limit and then undo the biggest role that limit has

Last edited by largestherb (2014-02-10 12:30:32)

#11 2014-02-11 09:37:28

fondfoat

Being forced to have an way for the family to get out even if they were dead would make it interesting.

#12 2014-02-11 18:24:47

redxaxder

comg wrote:

Hello everyone!

By the way, why aren't rotated versions of existing tiles in the main game? Was this to force electronics to take up a lot of space?

I'm often disappointed when I get an idea for a cool circuit to use and then realize that it's too big to compete with magic dance traps.

#13 2014-02-12 03:44:13

comg

largestherb wrote:
comg wrote:

or leave the map the same size so you don't have to add the rotating objects?

*shrugs*

why set a cool limit and then undo the biggest role that limit has

For the beauty of design smile (And the inherent reduced cost)

#14 2014-02-20 06:52:05

TyrannosaurusHax

Where were you guys while literally hundreds of robbers failed horribly at the solvable section of my house neutral

Board footer