The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-06 20:56:56

Hueyk

[suggestion] No more broken vaults!

Please, for the love of god change this.  It is incredibly frustrating to spend 3-4 trips scouting a house, then purchasing the tools you believe you will need, then working your way through the house only to find a broken vault at the end. 

Most of the time you're fortunate enough to see some damages here and there to clue you in, but sometimes you don't see anything until you're near the end, if it all.  This game is difficult enough (which I do like) without ruining the accomplishments I do get.  Please either stop displaying broken houses, or give some indication that the vault is emptied.

#2 2014-02-06 21:21:02

DethBringa

Re: [suggestion] No more broken vaults!

theres always wife hunting.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#3 2014-02-06 21:22:02

jw2pfd

Hueyk wrote:

or give some indication that the vault is emptied.

There is an indication, but it's when you finally see the vault.  I know you that mean prior to entering the house; however, going to rob someone should always be a gamble.  That means deciding what information the robber should see.  As you pointed out, you can find out that a house is damaged sometimes from the front entrance.  Maybe you see a dead wife or a blocked off entrance which means no family is alive. That will let you know all of the value is in the vault.

There are ways to pick and choose your targets.  I think robbing someone needs to stay about as much of a gamble as it is currently.  Giving the robber even more information in helping pick targets would start to make target choosing more and more of a certainty and that wouldn't make much sense for the game.

#4 2014-02-06 22:11:23

SomeGuyNamedDavid

Issue is, though, you can't instantly exit a house by reaching a broken vault, you have to make your way all the way back out again, which is often impossible.

#5 2014-02-06 22:39:57

jw2pfd

SomeGuyNamedDavid wrote:

Issue is, though, you can't instantly exit a house by reaching a broken vault, you have to make your way all the way back out again, which is often impossible.

Well, yeah.  That's the point of making it a risk.  It's a gamble for the robber to go for the vault.  If you could exit on reaching a broken vault, then there would be less overall risk for the robber.  Part of the skill in robbing is doing a good scouting job and picking a good target to minimize your risk.  Reaching the vault is only one of the skills a robber needs to be successful.  A robber should not be rewarded for finding an empty vault.  The reward in this case being an easy exit out of the house.

It would also inadvertently make something like drugged meat better because using it can cut off your return path sometimes.  A gun would not have that same issue.  It's only impossible to get back to the welcome mat from an empty vault because you lack the proper tools to do it.  It should be a gamble for what tools to bring and how many.  The robber should be rewarded for bringing the proper tools.  The robber should not be rewarded for bringing only enough for a one-way trip only to find out that the vault is empty.

You can purposely target houses that have blocked off entrances so that you know their family is dead.  If you can scout a house and determine this, then you have a guarantee that all of the house's value is inside the vault.  It's the choice of the house owner if they choose to give away this information, but feel free to take advantage of that.

#6 2014-02-07 01:57:57

Drakol

The problem is - that half the mechanisms still work. But there is not escape via the Safe Cracking...
Which means that you can do it in such a way, that you ignore the Vault, and put your Wife in the place of the Safe.
The vault leading to no money, your wife behind 50+ dogs... There needs to be a notice or something, that tells you that you cannot beat the Vault by going to the Safe.
Or, the Broken / Empty Safe has to be able to let the person out of the Map with Nothing.

#7 2014-02-07 02:31:29

DaVinci

Easy to make.

Try finding 999:2 in house Map, if found, make it pop a msg that vault is broken.

Board footer