The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-08 17:05:15

42dustman

Players that buy $2000 worth of tools to rob you of your $500.

One problem that I'm constantly struggling with is that I can't seen to build a house that is expensive enough to hold off the burglars that are using the whole of the $2000 of starting cash in tools and yet cheap enough to leave me with the necessary money to actually attract any burglars at all. And these kind of thieves are a problem even when they die because they make the house value rise too fast and attract more item-carrying-burglars before you have the time to update your defenses. Goddamn you people who burglarize for the sake of burglarizing.

Self-testing is torture.

#2 2014-02-08 17:08:17

jere

Re: Players that buy $2000 worth of tools to rob you of your $500.

That's pretty silly but with experience it's not too hard to hold off $2k worth of tools. In fact, you should always be thinking about how $2k could be applied to your house. Would 5 saws easily beat you? What about 20 waters? 20 drugged meat?

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2014-02-08 17:08:30

protox13

42dustman wrote:

One problem that I'm constantly struggling with is that I can't seen to build a house that is expensive enough to hold off the burglars that are using the whole of the $2000 of starting cash in tools and yet cheap enough to leave me with the necessary money to actually attract any burglars at all. And these kind of thieves are a problem even when they die because they make the house value rise too fast and attract more item-carrying-burglars before you have the time to update your defenses. Goddamn you people who burglarize for the sake of burglarizing.

Robbers: good at robbing, bad at math.

#4 2014-02-08 17:31:36

sebastian

I Think your'e doing wrong.
It was my first mistake too. I struggled with the starting houses and didn't advance, did try go out robbing with 2k in Tools in hope of scoring bigtime.

Until I found out the trick: Buld things that looks harmless but activate and become harmful when the player does not expect it to activate.

The trick here in this game is to do something that *looks* harmless, but is something else that you would Think.
For example "leap of faith" traps (Power, toggle, electricfloor, trapdoor) that instead are deadly traps that activate unexpectly if the trap is not correctly defused with a button or something elsewhere.

You can do it with cats and/or dogs, that move on switches, or use Clocks, that "Count" the steps and then activate the trap permanently.

Because, as soon as a player stumbles upon something that looks harmful, they will immediately use Tools on that. But if they stumble upon something that looks completely harmless, for example a standard commit gate, they will not bother wasting Tools on that. (until they would need to pass the commit gate in the "wrong" direction).
If the commit gate instead activates by a Clock or dog or cat or something similiar, then player will be unaware of that and move on, to only get killed by a "inactive" commit gate which activated Before the player even reached the trigger sticking button.

#5 2014-02-08 17:33:57

Amatiel

Bro, thats the whole point. If ur smart you wont build a house until uve successfully robbed someone worth more than 5k using  all 2k of ur fresh start money on tools. If you fail then start over. Rinse repeat.

You didnt think you could build a house and just sit back collecting bounties straight up did you?

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#6 2014-02-08 17:36:58

sebastian

Amatiel: I did do that: Build a starter house and climbed only by collecting bounties.
As I said, figure out a trap that looks harmless but that will kill the player if not defused.

Eg, make something deadly, which the player wont bother using Tools on, and you have success.

Last edited by sebastian (2014-02-08 17:40:48)

#7 2014-02-08 18:10:38

realitysconcierge

If they're spending more to rob your house than they'll get from you 42dustman, then I wouldn't feel bad about it in the slightest.

#8 2014-02-19 04:00:18

Ballig

This is my exact issue at the moment.  One of two things happens:

1. I build a house that has some traps that appear harmless at first and lure people to their death, but before I get a chance to check the game again too many people have died in it and it has attracted people with too many tools before I can upgrade the house to withstand them; or
2. Some jerk enters the house with $2000 in tools to steal my $300, or half of it. Seriously, come in with a gun and shoot my wife to take the pittance she has on her at the time? They get nothing out of it, and ruin the game for me. They're either trolling or they're intentionally trying to raise their bounty so they can die on a friend's property (often they come in and kill two family members).

Number 1 I can handle, it's a bit annoying to have to luck out in that window of opportunity when you actually have money and haven't attracted more advanced robbers yet, but it's number 2 that is right annoying me. Surely it's an issue that a lot of new players are coming across?

#9 2014-02-19 23:39:21

Storm

I found this on the ground. you should have it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUYTToG … e=youtu.be

#10 2014-02-20 00:05:32

Ballig

Storm wrote:

I found this on the ground. you should have it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUYTToG … e=youtu.be

That is pretty ridiculous, but at least on some level you can appreciate that he's earned 16k worth of tools in some way. Compare to the person who starts a brand new game, buys $2k in tools, and goes off to rob someone of their $200-300. That's the kind of incredibly low-effort trolling I would have expected to be ironed out by this stage.

#11 2014-02-20 05:37:30

TyrannosaurusHax

Glenn Raymond Daniel just spent $11650 scouting and/or trying to rob my $2000 value house. I have no paintings.

If you have an awful lot of tools/money/income right now and this sort of thing offends you, enjoy that little piece of intel.

Board footer