The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-09 06:58:51

jere

Two clock houses I wanted to share

With the first, I was the top player for about a day... until Price took me out with 79 saws of course. smile

It's a simple two cycle clock. If you use a tool at any time along the path, the cycle advances and you get fried. A magic dance deactivates the cat trap and opens the doors. BUT. The really cool part about the doors is they don't just unlock, the clock signal gets routed to them, so they started oscillating open and close. I did this so if you cut the very first wired wall you came to, the clock signal is gone: not only is the rest of the path unsafe, but the doors won't be opening without a brute force.

F0mTaXa.png

largestherb and jgw gave me some advice on not relying so much on wired walls.... with the current mechanics, you simply can't. So here is my improved house. I hid the vault it IN PLAIN SIGHT. If you happened to guess the location, you could get to it with starting tools. The clock cycle here makes the path safe yet again. It turns off electric floors when you're on them and hides dogs so you don't make eye contact. Tools are a bad idea. I used the camera shifting, so you only see 2 dogs at the bottom (and only if you advanced the cycle) and that's it. There's a complication though.... if you go to the very bottom of the screen and come back, the camera gets messed up and now you can see all the way to the wall. So in the rare instance that happened, I wanted there to a reasonable excuse for the opening behind the dogs.... a family path.

The self test involve me going all the way to the end, and then using the final dog door there as a magic dance to turn back on the safety of the clock, turn it off long enough to get the 2 dogs out, turn it back on, and then fry them at the top.

JXlN3qH.png

I think this would have been a solid top house if I hadn't double tapped in another house...

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#2 2014-02-09 07:06:36

ukuko

Re: Two clock houses I wanted to share

I like the second one. Shame you didn't get to see people waste all their tools looking for your vault!

#3 2014-02-09 07:09:06

jere

Thanks! That's definitely what I was looking forward to. Filling up the right with as many doors as possible, but basically hardwired.

#4 2014-02-09 09:23:29

Blip

I like both designs, but I would never build something like the second one. Personally, if I have to build a massive area designed for a no-tool solution to killing dogs, I just scrap the trap entirely, or add a doggie commit gate and make the dogs have to stay alive instead. Because if somebody is capable of just killing my dogs and bypassing half the house, it really isn't worth it as a trap, IMHO.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#5 2014-02-09 10:24:59

jere

Well, the trap isn't about killing the dogs. That's just a detail. The real point is to hide the vault somewhere other than the far corner. The idea is the robber walks by dog-door, dog-door about 20 times and figures it's all one big commit gate.

Board footer