The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-11 16:05:26

Vocko1993

Best way to start ?

Well I've been reading this forum for 2-3 days now . Found lots of tips and tricks , however it did not help me to make a normal house that I could play for days...

How would you recomend starting from the begining ?

#2 2014-02-11 16:09:14

JoeBlow

Re: Best way to start ?

First and foremost - do NOT expect your house to ever last more than a few hours after you log off until you have made many many many house traps.  And even then that is a stretch.  I believe this is broken in game but there is nothing happening for it ATM apparently.  So just expect that you will have to start over from scratch every time you log on after being away for longer than 4-5 hours.

#3 2014-02-11 16:13:02

Vocko1993

What about the rich guys ???

Its just not fair with us poor guys...they can delete their entire house and redesine it to some combination lock or clock work stuff . And we ( the poor guys ) don't have that chance. This is to frustrating...

#4 2014-02-11 16:16:34

JoeBlow

Agreed to a certain point.  But it IS possible to gain wealth even starting with only a $2000 house.  Sometimes the best traps are not deadly in and of themselves.  Their deadliness lies in their deceptiveness.  You would be amazed at some of the stupid-simple traps that kill huge numbers of would be robber drones.  You just have to keep trying different ideas until you find one that works.  Use your security tapes to note what works and what doesn't.  And it helps if you can keep the game open for a long time at one sitting.

#5 2014-02-11 16:59:08

joshwithguitar

The game is constantly cycling through "rich guys" as they die and a re robbed. A good player can go from being a "poor guy" with starter cash to a "rich guy" with a $30k house in a day. So it is not so much a rich/poor divide as a skills divide.

Just keep at it and you'll improve. It is amazing how much harder it is to rob places since the launch as people are starting to learn what works and what doesn't.

#6 2014-02-11 18:35:57

Blip

I see two distinct ways to start. You could build a deathtrap and babysit it, usually while doing something else, making upgrades every 5k+ of bounties for a few hours, and end up with a great trap and house ready to rise to the top. Or, alternatively, you could use your initial cash all on tools and chain-rob, using your spoils from each robbery to fund the next, more expensive one, until you have enough to build a good house all at once. Both require lots of skill in either building (for the deathtrap strategy) or robbing (for-chain-robbing), and are both, in my opinion, equally viable and often chosen by preference. This is where the skill gap comes into play: both means of acquiring wealth require skill and experience, and are easier for good players. But aren't all games like that?

Notably, "build a house with your starting 2k then leave" is not a good strategy. You'll probably return to few, in any, security tapes; and if you did get a good chunk of bounty money, it'll have been robbed by the time you get back. However, I've had a "rich" - i.e. 25k+, but not front page until the last day - house stand for over a week recently, without making any major changes other than adding pit bulls for wife defense; so, it is possible to keep houses standing, even without Josh's strategy of eliminating all competition. tongue I did eventually get robbed by a pure brute-force overnight, but that was only once I started reaching 200k riches. The trick there is death traps; make sure that if people try to rob your house, they die trying.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

Board footer