The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-10 21:02:28

Storm

multiple safes / purchaseable minor safes

just an idea... what if you could buy and place more safes, and after you are done editing your house you have to distribute all your funds in them, or it  splits your funds across them automatically. This would add a lot of depth to a house: you could have decoy safes as bait for a trap, you could hide a 'main' safe in a field of $1 decoys, you have multiple safes so your safe line through the house is more vague and you could play off that. This would also give robbers a lot of incentive to explore all areas of a house looking for everything there is to find, each corner would be a potential score. You would still need to get back to your starter safe when you finish building. seems like a good idea... pros? cons? anyone suggest this before..

Last edited by Storm (2014-02-10 21:24:30)

#2 2014-02-10 22:37:48

rcmike

Re: multiple safes / purchaseable minor safes

The only flaw I see is testing. Based off what you suggest, you could drop a few bucks in your main safe and make it impossible to get to the other safes with the main amount of your money.

And it just doesn't seem like something that would make the game any better, if you get me...

#3 2014-02-11 08:30:52

Storm

I think it would make the game better, less linear houses. I kind of had endgame bruteforcing in mind. the house-robbing/protecting strategy in this game atm pretty much stops right there. but you're definitely right about the first point. would never work

Last edited by Storm (2014-02-11 08:45:42)

#4 2014-02-11 14:10:41

Pandamonium

Storm wrote:

you're definitely right about the first point. would never work

Who said self test have to end at first vault? Just like switches have a on/off state, for self test you can have every safe turn "off" until you get them all?
The downside is... commitment traps will, well.. kill u.

#5 2014-02-11 16:25:27

JoeBlow

Pandamonium wrote:
Storm wrote:

you're definitely right about the first point. would never work

Who said self test have to end at first vault? Just like switches have a on/off state, for self test you can have every safe turn "off" until you get them all?
The downside is... commitment traps will, well.. kill u.

And thus will be the end of one era and the birth of a new one.  A new era where commit traps are mere distractions and new amazing innovative traps will rise that make them look like a Hippy Peace March.  Yea, brother do I look forward to such a day.  For upon that day we can look one another in the eyes and know that once in the past we were as scared children in the wood.  But now we are men.  Men who will not tremble at the sight of a mere 5 electric floors with a powered door in front of them.  And that truly WILL be a good day to die.

#6 2014-02-11 17:05:51

joshwithguitar

Storm wrote:

I think it would make the game better, less linear houses. I kind of had endgame bruteforcing in mind. the house-robbing/protecting strategy in this game atm pretty much stops right there. but you're definitely right about the first point. would never work

The fact that houses tend to be linear at the moment is simply because people aren't good at designing houses. When you make it obvious where your vault s going to be it becomes very easy to brute force. There is nothing stopping you from having multiple paths that could lead to the vault and this can be quite effective at mitigating brute forcing - my houses now tend to be of the "hide the vault down one of many paths" variety.

#7 2014-02-11 19:31:19

Storm

joshwithguitar wrote:
Storm wrote:

The fact that houses tend to be linear at the moment is simply because people aren't good at designing houses. When you make it obvious where your vault s going to be it becomes very easy to brute force. There is nothing stopping you from having multiple paths that could lead to the vault and this can be quite effective at mitigating brute forcing - my houses now tend to be of the "hide the vault down one of many paths" variety.

When I say linear I guess I mean there's not a lot of creative depth once someone can bruteforce. strategy exists until they have a lot of items. Yes you could do your suggestion, and of course you dont want the test path to be obvious, but you are limited by space. the longer the divergences from the test path are, the shorter/less traps the test path itself will be simply because of limited space. left with a pretty even balance in that respect. maybe not, but multiple safes or something like that could add an extra layer of strategy to play with? eh, maybe that would just continue the unending cycle of hacker vs system...

btw, I've been throwing my money away til I devise some kind of countermeasures to bruteforce since you (you were the late Price, no?) started sniping anybody above 50k. no point going into that fight with nothing to defend myself. guess I could've waited till i thought you were asleep, raised the money, come when least expected as "a thief in the night"... you know, like jesus.

Last edited by Storm (2014-02-11 19:48:15)

#8 2014-02-12 01:11:08

joshwithguitar

Well, the only way I was able to survive at the top was by building a house that was resistant to brute forcing, and I guess I showed that it was possible. Only a hacker brought me down in the end. Throughout all of my robberies I never met up with a house was as difficult to brute force as mine. And there was certainly nothing stopping people build up a house of that strength as long as they never let their value get high enough to get into my sights.

Board footer