The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-15 14:10:42

Americans17

Destroying houses for fun?

So i had a 400$ value house, and a guy with a 2k kit enter, killed mi wife, my dog, broke my sistem and then just leave, why waste 2k on my house?

#2 2014-02-15 14:17:40

Pandamonium

Re: Destroying houses for fun?

those are the 2k suicides, if you enter home with tools, you will lose them anyway.
so they "may as well use them all", which is the main downside of not protecting your family with a starter home.

It's the opposite of Santa runners.

#3 2014-02-15 14:18:32

Americans17

Pandamonium wrote:

those are the 2k suicides, if you enter home with tools, you will lose them anyway.
so they "may as well use them all", which is the main downside of not protecting your family with a starter home.

It's the opposite of Santa runners.

i know that, but i mean why the even come to my house, if i only have $400? there is no profit for them

#4 2014-02-15 14:33:47

PlasmaChroma

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

After losing everything, being forced into a suicide restart, just lashing out and hitting anyone at all can be a desirable experience.

I'd even go as far to say this game encourages that kind of spiteful playing.

#5 2014-02-15 14:45:44

42dustman

A carefully placed pitbull and shotgun combo will keep you protected from those players.

Self-testing is torture.

#6 2014-02-15 15:14:18

Kimenzar

PlasmaChroma wrote:

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

After losing everything, being forced into a suicide restart, just lashing out and hitting anyone at all can be a desirable experience.

I'd even go as far to say this game encourages that kind of spiteful playing.

This was my reason neutral

I'm terribly sorry for any incovenience caused as a result of the death of your family =P

But you were not the only one.

#7 2014-02-15 16:37:03

Immhotep

What you had is not something which doesn't make sense, people got frustrated from keep dying and just want to make other's life miserable by using 2k tools on less than 2k houses... But what I've experienced earlier today was really strange, I had 4.3k at that moment, someone came into my house with 4.6k tools and left within 3 turns without doing anything! He might be on drugs or something I'd say...

Death is only the beginning...

#8 2014-02-15 16:41:50

PlasmaChroma

Immhotep wrote:

What you had is not something which doesn't make sense, people got frustrated from keep dying and just want to make other's life miserable by using 2k tools on less than 2k houses... But what I've experienced earlier today was really strange, I had 4.3k at that moment, someone came into my house with 4.6k tools and left within 3 turns without doing anything! He might be on drugs or something I'd say...

Possibly just someone looking to lower their net-worth.  Once you get too high, the justification for absolute brute force break-ins gets too tempting.

If you leave your value below the total cost of a brute force, you are a lot more likely to stay safe from it.  Ditching some tools around the block can help with that.

#9 2014-02-15 17:53:38

Pandamonium

PlasmaChroma wrote:

Ditching some tools around the block can help with that.

You lose tools but they don't get any when you don't die and just leave right?

#10 2014-02-15 17:55:49

PlasmaChroma

Pandamonium wrote:
PlasmaChroma wrote:

Ditching some tools around the block can help with that.

You lose tools but they don't get any when you don't die and just leave right?

Nope, they get nothing if [they] leave, but [their] house gets the small benefit of possibly being less of a target.  And sometimes, it's worth doing.

Last edited by PlasmaChroma (2014-02-15 18:18:14)

#11 2014-02-15 18:21:49

Americans17

42dustman wrote:

A carefully placed pitbull and shotgun combo will keep you protected from those players.

I can't really waste on self defense pitbulls when i only have 2k to build a house.

#12 2014-02-15 18:27:18

Immhotep

PlasmaChroma wrote:
Immhotep wrote:

Possibly just someone looking to lower their net-worth.  Once you get too high, the justification for absolute brute force break-ins gets too tempting.

If you leave your value below the total cost of a brute force, you are a lot more likely to stay safe from it.  Ditching some tools around the block can help with that.

He could just bought a painting...

#13 2014-02-15 18:29:47

Gopher

he'd have to accumulate rather a lot more than $2k to buy a painting, and sit with higher risk of brute forcing in the mean time. I'd be more inclined to spend the money on my house; if there was  nothing left to improve and no space to expand, then just altering it, shuffling things around so people who've seen it already might be caught off guard by changes. But just burning the money is also an option, and a less time-consuming one.

#14 2014-02-15 18:37:21

Immhotep

Yup, like buy a few Pit Bulls or something might be better

#15 2014-02-16 04:49:23

crousti

Seriously this is being more and more of a problem.

Whatever happens, i start the day with 2k, builds whatever i can with that, ranging from 1 to 2k. Nothing happens during all day. Then at night, a couple of thieves die, my worth goes up, then someone comes in with 2K worth of tools and destroys everything.

Last night the guy came wit a gun, 2 clubs, 2 meats and a brick. In a 800$ house !! He poisonned the dog, used 2 clubs on windows, a gun on my wife, and left. He did not even explore, nor use the tools he had left. He could have opened a door with a brick, but he just went away. 

Of course i had other visitors after that, some who died, and everyone came in with at least twice the value of my house in tools ... and of course the last one who entered got to my safe and emptied it.

I can see a solution to that, but i guess polling and scripting is not allowed.

This happens because tools are expensive; the money does not go up a lot, but the tools are worth so much my house value skyrockets.

Maybe this has been suggested before, but i think it would it be a good thing to add the tools in the safe only when the player returns to his house. Or 24/48h after his last connection. I can't see a way to abuse this.

#16 2014-02-16 05:08:17

RevealingGekco

crousti wrote:

Maybe this has been suggested before, but i think it would it be a good thing to add the tools in the safe only when the player returns to his house. Or 24/48h after his last connection. I can't see a way to abuse this.

There was a similar idea earlier about not having your house value update until you logged back in.  I believe the issue was that it would allow players to stay offline to accumulate wealth, and then come back on and make a run at the top houses.

#17 2014-02-16 05:46:12

jere

What if robbers couldn't enter any house that was worth less than their current backpack value unless there was a painting there?

Really, there's nothing to be gained, mechanically speaking, from entering a house where you are going to lose money. A painting is the only exception. This wouldn't prevent all abuse, but would stop starter tool runs from destroying $1k houses and below.

800$ house !!

Oh.... if you mean, you only had $800 cash and the rest tools, that's not really meaningful. Consider tools as part of your cash value. For all we know the top house with $320k could be all tools and $0 cash.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#18 2014-02-16 06:31:19

Kimenzar

jere wrote:

What if robbers couldn't enter any house that was worth less than their current backpack value unless there was a painting there?

Really, there's nothing to be gained, mechanically speaking, from entering a house where you are going to lose money. A painting is the only exception. This wouldn't prevent all abuse, but would stop starter tool runs from destroying $1k houses and below.

800$ house !!

Oh.... if you mean, you only had $800 cash and the rest tools, that's not really meaningful. Consider tools as part of your cash value. For all we know the top house with $320k could be all tools and $0 cash.

And how do you protect your House against lower budget houses that still can bruteforce you?

like you have 300k and lower all other houses.

#19 2014-02-16 06:40:30

jere

like you have 300k and lower all other houses.

Hmm... fair point. Though I don't know if I like that whole mechanic of wiping out 2 or 3 pages of houses just to protect yourself. Especially with house easy brute forcing is.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#20 2014-02-16 07:03:41

Kimenzar

It's just the only real viable way, and you are still weak to night attacks if there is that one guy that get a series on high houses.

BTW Sorry for my rampage yesterday, but still got a missing paint into the auction again with it ;P

Last edited by Kimenzar (2014-02-16 07:05:21)

#21 2014-02-16 07:17:29

crousti

RevealingGekco wrote:
crousti wrote:

There was a similar idea earlier about not having your house value update until you logged back in.  I believe the issue was that it would allow players to stay offline to accumulate wealth, and then come back on and make a run at the top houses.

The difference is that i am just talking about tools, and a timer prevents the "waiting forever" idea.

The value of the house would still increase, but only from the bounty; that and adding a reasonable threshold for the tools to pop in the safe if you dont connect means you can't just sit out and wait until you have a gazillon of tools in the safe; wait some time, they pop in.  Yet you can spend a whole night sleeping.

And how about destroying half of them if the player waits for the timeout ? A 12 or 18h time would allow that.

Gameplay reason could be "tools not in the safe, kids/dogs/rats played with them, now they are of no use" . If the player connects before the timeout, he gets 3/4th of the tools instead of only half (lets say the violent death of their owner did break some of them).

The idea of making the money scarce and tools hard to buy is good. But then, hit a safe and you get some money, but mostly tools, which end up worth way more than the money that is in the safe.

#22 2014-02-16 18:49:22

Storm

crousti wrote:

Last night the guy came wit a gun, 2 clubs, 2 meats and a brick. In a 800$ house !! He poisonned the dog, used 2 clubs on windows, a gun on my wife, and left. He did not even explore, nor use the tools he had left. He could have opened a door with a brick, but he just went away.

^lol

that sucks man. all you were trying to do was lure people in and kill them so you could take their money... and that bastard wouldn't even explore through a door. sad times...

there are rumors about a group of robbers. dwelling in the shadows, using top houses like meat-shields... hands of Entropy they are. Entropy employs an in-game 'handshake' to identify the names of its members. Nobody knows who the leader is, certainly a man of pure wickedness and evil. Chaos and destruction follows always in the wake of Entropy, houses burn for no apparent reason, women and children thoughtlessly sent to the next dimension... but, probably just ghost stories and old wives tales...

Last edited by Storm (2014-02-16 19:01:41)

Board footer