The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-16 17:16:57

Jabloko

Saving home templates?

This is a great game, but after my 10th death (approx.) today, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed. Any chance that in a future update we could create pre-set templates, just so I don't have to waste an hour to re-build my base from scratch? Many thanks for an answer.

Edit:I know it may cause some mass-robbery happening, maybe a time-delay could be implemented? So, if you use a pre-set template you are off for, say, 20 minutes?

Last edited by Jabloko (2014-02-16 17:19:10)

#2 2014-02-16 17:29:44

Hippasus

Re: Saving home templates?

This is from the FAQ:
Q. Why is the game so punishing? It is so frustrating when I lose the house I spent hours on because I didn't know I could die in X way. At least let me save my houses so that I can build them instantly when I re-spawn.
A. Jason has answered this question a number of times in the forums, here is a recent quote:

jasonrohrer wrote:

"We've had lots of discussion on the idea of saving maps.
But this takes the edge off death.  Death should feel awful.  Heart-breaking.  Game-hating.
It also takes the edge off robbery.  You worked SO hard on this house, and now someone has come in and destroyed all of your hard work.  It feels awful.  "I spent HOURS building that, you asshole!"
This game is 100% fair, in that death is ALWAYS your fault.  There is no randomness.  You can ALWAYS walk back out the front door in a sticky situation and save your own neck (and house).
Yes, maybe it would be more "fun" or "addicting" if you could just press a button and magically rebuild the exact same house again after dying.... but.... I'm really not trying to make a fun, addicting game here.  That's not the point.  The point is to build something that has never existed before.... something that makes you feel things that you've never felt in a game before.
And if anything sets my games apart from other games, it's that my games have this kind of "point" and stick to it.  There are loads of people making fun, addicting games.  My job is to do something different.

#3 2014-02-16 17:32:07

colorfusion

Death in the game is intended to be punishing, and force you into being careful. If you're dying 10 times a day, then you should consider taking more care when robbing or not spending an hour building your house each time.

I personally like having to design it by scratch each time, although I usually don't die much once I've built a house up. It lets you redesign parts of your house and improve on it from last time, perhaps even completely changing it to account for weaknesses that you found on your last run.  Even though you could still do that with templates, it would become the less efficient way to play.

#4 2014-02-16 17:56:14

Jabloko

I'm starting to think that the game itself is a trap. You pay upfront and you end up sticking to it, cuz' hell, you paid £11 for it! Sure, it's always my fault, and I can always walk away, but one can learn how to make a home where there is a point of no return in about 10 minutes. You know which point is the one that is "sticky" (a window, a gate, electric floor), but you MUST pass that, else you can't even have a look at what's inside the home (thus, you can't prepare with your 300$-500$).
And than there are the hundreds of homes where you start with a pit bull chasing you. If you don't turn back immediately, you must navigate a maze...you know what I'm talking about.
I don't see noob-houses...at all? Probably because death is so edgy, everybody reads this forum, or at least the wiki, so it's very hard to find a "soft" target. You throw yourself at someone, you die, rebuild one hour, rinse and repeat until you luck into a vault worth...300? Did your tools cost more? Too bad.

,,If you don't like it, don't play it!"
I was able to figure that one out myself, thanks.

#5 2014-02-16 18:00:13

colorfusion

Jabloko wrote:

I'm starting to think that the game itself is a trap. You pay upfront and you end up sticking to it, cuz' hell, you paid £11 for it! Sure, it's always my fault, and I can always walk away, but one can learn how to make a home where there is a point of no return in about 10 minutes. You know which point is the one that is "sticky" (a window, a gate, electric floor), but you MUST pass that, else you can't even have a look at what's inside the home (thus, you can't prepare with your 300$-500$).
And than there are the hundreds of homes where you start with a pit bull chasing you. If you don't turn back immediately, you must navigate a maze...you know what I'm talking about.
I don't see noob-houses...at all? Probably because death is so edgy, everybody reads this forum, or at least the wiki, so it's very hard to find a "soft" target. You throw yourself at someone, you die, rebuild one hour, rinse and repeat until you luck into a vault worth...300? Did your tools cost more? Too bad.

,,If you don't like it, don't play it!"
I was able to figure that one out myself, thanks.

You don't need go deep inside the home at all, though. If the risk is too much and you see a commitment trap straight away then you can simply move onto another house, as you said there are hundreds more homes out there, or get the tools to deactivate it, a pitbull can be dealt with for just $100.

Don't spend an hour building, then "throw yourself" at someone. If you're going for a proper built up house, scout and take precautions. You can also spend all your money on tools if you want to take risks and hope to hit gold, or just learn about people's houses.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-16 18:01:06)

#6 2014-02-16 19:18:29

Pandamonium

Jabloko wrote:

You throw yourself at someone, you die, rebuild one hour, rinse and repeat until you luck into a vault worth...300? Did your tools cost more? Too bad.

I highly recommend you NOT doing that, when you start out with 2000, you should make a choice.

• Build

• Rob

If you build, you don't rob yet, get income by babying your house every bit of cash you get from people dying you use to develop the house some more.

If you Rob, then use ALL of your 2000 to buy tools. first go out with no tools (you have 5 mins for your new home to be displayed to everyone else) and scout a bit. Then come back with 2000 worth of tools to brute force the place. (aim for home values above 2000 of course). Once successful, use the , say 4000, in loot to rob someone even higher.

This is what people call "chain robbing". When you want to stop is up to you.
But once you get a large sum of cash, build your dream home. smile

#7 2014-02-16 19:27:15

Jabloko

I just did the "megarob" thing...let's just say someone is veeery angry now tongue. I used the money to build a fortress, and I keep the tools for bait, and wait until I suck some cash up! A guy with a bounty worth 600 already made the terrible mistake of crossing me! Muhahaha! big_smile

Thanks for the advice guys! This makes things much easier!

#8 2014-02-16 21:05:47

Pandamonium

Jabloko wrote:

This makes things much easier!

Yeah, doing the chain robbing seems to be the way, but I went the other option, been slowly building my (preplanned) home for over a week now. always using up the cash that comes in (so high level player's ignore me).

If i get some cash when i get home after work I may be able to finish my creation.
Or maybe it's been razed to the ground. Who knows...

going to work each day make me worried... (just like the game was designed to do! sad)

Board footer