The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-21 04:46:13

Kimenzar

Exploit for two Accounts

You could easily going around the chill by searching an easy vault with 2k tools or searching for the vault(Scout). And then just suicide and follow up the known way with your second account. So you get nearly the vault from others+ the rest of tools that were not needed to find the right way.

#2 2014-02-21 05:04:03

MMaster

Re: Exploit for two Accounts

Yes you can do that. And if you die with both accounts you have chills on both of them. 2 runs with starter tools are usually not enough. You can even post your findings on forums and encourage other users to rob the house. I would say it's part of the game.

#3 2014-02-21 05:08:26

Kimenzar

I speak of low tier houses and pushing your second account with your first runner account. I know that high tier houses are enough protected against 2k robbers wink

#4 2014-02-21 05:11:43

colorfusion

Is there really a way to stop this? When you have two of something, be it an account or physical item, you can afford to be less careful with one of them and then learn from mistakes when it comes down to the other one; it applies to pretty much everything.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-21 05:12:09)

#5 2014-02-21 05:15:30

MMaster

This was opened several times and the thing is that there is no way to fix that without restricting regular players. If you have brother that also plays the game you can share the info as well, but you don't have to. Should you both be blocked from entering the same house, because you have the same IP? You can also share connection with your neighbors having the same IP. And still you can have friend with different IP and share the house information. There is basically no way around that. Yes it is quite unfair to the players with single account, but still it's not that abusable as you would think - thanks to the chills and force ignores.

#6 2014-02-21 05:43:55

Kimenzar

I think a solution would be if it happens that two accounts with the same ip, rob more than x times like this. You could force ignore the house for the second account in which the first scout account was. That would probably not restrict families or other persons with the same ip too far from playing together.

There are two problems I can think of:
Frustration in other players(After all this game frustrate enough at other things).
1k Best Case, if the Robber is successful without tools.
Worst Case, the second account don't rob that house.

#7 2014-02-21 05:55:49

MMaster

That would still be restrictive as for example first house has high chance of being visited by unrelated neighbors with same IP several times. But even if we ignore that, you still have friends with different IPs that share the house info. One person can use TOR or some kind of VPN to have different IPs on both accounts. Not to say that one person can have 10 accounts if he can afford it so there is really no way to stop this.
I think what colorfusion said makes perfect sense.

#8 2014-02-21 06:04:48

Leaf

This actually just happened to me... no jokes.  Guy spent 10 mins in my base and then came in and robbed me after he died.

#9 2014-02-21 06:05:38

Kimenzar

But in the first house the chance is really low that there is a suicide with tools then instant success route schema. Ahh you are right, forgot about proxies.

#10 2014-02-21 07:02:16

Leaf

It's worse than you think... he used 3 saws, but had one remaining and some other supplies.  Effectively he stacked his own account by feeding it gear (on top of my treasure).

I don't think it's fair at all.  Do you have any idea the exploiting you can do with this? 

Person A is the scout
Person B is the exploiter

The other letters will indicate random players

A will go to only $50 bases.

A has $2000 worth of material on each death.

A goes to C and dies with all of his tools
B goes to C and loots

A goes to D and dies with half of his tools
B goes to D and loots

A goes to E, but is unable to find the vault- so he uses his tools and commits suicide.

A goes to F and dies with all of his tools
B goes to F and loots

Rinse and repeat for a couple hours... your base will appear to have $0... nobody will raid it. 

Then when you accumulate enough wealth, form your monster trap base out of thin air. 

MEANWHILE, those $50 bases were held by legitimate players that actually want to play the game and they were decimated.  Their dogs were killed, their wives possibly too.  So what exactly are they supposed to do?  Obviously commit suicide and start over.  Does that seem fair to you?  Some dude came to your base, died, you won all of his stuff... and another dude comes along and jacks your $50 base- possibly breaking your traps and taking all of the legitimate gains. 

You're hurting your newbie players a lot in this game, and nobody is going to stick around to play it if you don't do something.

#11 2014-02-21 07:26:49

MMaster

Leaf wrote:

It's worse than you think... he used 3 saws, but had one remaining and some other supplies.  Effectively he stacked his own account by feeding it gear (on top of my treasure).

I don't think it's fair at all.  Do you have any idea the exploiting you can do with this? 

Person A is the scout
Person B is the exploiter

The other letters will indicate random players

A will go to only $50 bases.

A has $2000 worth of material on each death.

A goes to C and dies with all of his tools
B goes to C and loots

A goes to D and dies with half of his tools
B goes to D and loots

A goes to E, but is unable to find the vault- so he uses his tools and commits suicide.

A goes to F and dies with all of his tools
B goes to F and loots

Rinse and repeat for a couple hours... your base will appear to have $0... nobody will raid it.

Your base will have as much money as you looted (tools are also counted).

Leaf wrote:

Then when you accumulate enough wealth, form your monster trap base out of thin air. 

MEANWHILE, those $50 bases were held by legitimate players that actually want to play the game and they were decimated.  Their dogs were killed, their wives possibly too.  So what exactly are they supposed to do?  Obviously commit suicide and start over.  Does that seem fair to you?  Some dude came to your base, died, you won all of his stuff... and another dude comes along and jacks your $50 base- possibly breaking your traps and taking all of the legitimate gains. 

You're hurting your newbie players a lot in this game, and nobody is going to stick around to play it if you don't do something.

It's not that profitable as you think - B will probably die very soon as house with $50 does not need to be starter house (it can be house with assets worth of $30000). It is not sustainable to play this way. As we said earlier - there is nothing you can do about it. Everything can be circumvented and no matter how much time Jason would invest into solving this it would not work as people would use proxies to have different IPs on different accounts. There is no way to pair those as they look like 2 different people from 2 different parts of the world.

#12 2014-02-21 14:53:04

Leveller

Buy 10 Clubs  (2 at a time)   You now have 5 minutes to kill 10 children netting 1000$ each.  Then die at main account.

(newbie homes with 2000$ dont't get listed in 5 minutes from creation)    Thats possible every 24 hours, so even if you just kill 4-6 kids, and not happy with that sum. Just dont die at main account and do it over.

#13 2014-02-21 20:05:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, sadly, there is no way to prevent this.  How do you tell the difference between two friends who are helping each other and one person using two accounts?

This is true of ALL online games, of course.  Friends working together can help each other.

I'm not saying that it's an intended part of this game.

There were plenty of things put in place to thwart straight-up resource transfer between two accounts.  So you can't easily feed yourself $2000 over and over from a second account (or two friends can't easily feed each other $2000 repeatedly).  But those fixes make sense in the game and don't have huge negative effects on the non-exploiting players.

Trying to detect IP addresses that "seem" to be collaborating would be like looking for patterns in static.

#14 2014-02-21 21:13:26

Leveller

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, sadly, there is no way to prevent this.  How do you tell the difference between two friends who are helping each other and one person using two accounts?

This is true of ALL online games, of course.  Friends working together can help each other.

I'm not saying that it's an intended part of this game.

There were plenty of things put in place to thwart straight-up resource transfer between two accounts.  So you can't easily feed yourself $2000 over and over from a second account (or two friends can't easily feed each other $2000 repeatedly).  But those fixes make sense in the game and don't have huge negative effects on the non-exploiting players.

Trying to detect IP addresses that "seem" to be collaborating would be like looking for patterns in static.

It's easy enough getting 2000$ dollars from quitters.  Just keep scrolling up and down around 1500-2500$ and you will see a 2000$ 0-0  Sooner or later. Any time of day.    Should be random time for releases of unhabitated places.

#15 2014-02-22 00:47:39

LiteS

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, sadly, there is no way to prevent this.
[...]

Let's not forget there are also houses that I've successfully robbed, then a day or two later I find a new house with exactly the same layout, so naturally I go straight for where the vault was last time. If it's there I probably look like a hacker, when in reality I just remembered the house.

At least change your vault's location if you've been robbed!

Last edited by LiteS (2014-02-22 00:48:10)

#16 2014-02-23 16:55:22

monkey

I had a new house with maybe 5-6k from bounties, and a nice little confidence trick at the entrance, cautious exploration would allow the wife time to get into position behind a seemingly safe door, but opening the door straight away showed you another door you could just reach, but you would be sandwiched between 2 dogs with no chance of exit. At first, nobody took the suicide door, but right behind it was a simple 4 way pick-a-door, and the vault was behind one of those, about 8 steps from the entrance. So, for anyone without tools the wrong door is death. Anyway eventually someone got it, but I guess since the wife shoots everyone in my house, they didn't get away with much, so I continued expanding that house. The next day, I had 4 tapes in a row of people all with no tools, all taking the suicide door and all picking the same door which just happened to be where the vault was the day before. So it can't have been one guy, or even guys in real time communication, my guess is people posting maps on a forum. Not that I'm complaining! smile

Board footer