The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-23 12:23:24

monkey

What are the rules on dead kids exactly?

The last guy to rob my house drugged a dog right on the square next to the entrance, blocking his own way out.  He also killed one of the kids, leaving a corpse blocking the path for the family members.

So, I have a few questions.

I can't click "done" now without first removing the corpse or making a path around it - so what happens if I just quit out or go idle now, without touching the house?

The "broken" house state was saved because the kid was killed, why is there a dead cat in the halls, but not a drugged dog on the doorstep? I was pretty sure I've been killed by a dog sleeping on the square in front of the exit before... but in my house it seems the wife, shotgun and pitbull pet were all reset after the kid was shot, only the broken walls and corpses were saved.

When I do fix the house, I understand that the wife will stop at a child's corpse instead of go to the exit..., does this mean at a T intersection where the armed wife has a choice between the exit and a corpse, she will go stand by the corpse?

As an example... http://castledraft.com/editor/zvqnVu

Will the wife take the cat path or the chihuahua path there?

#2 2014-02-23 12:27:30

colorfusion

Re: What are the rules on dead kids exactly?

monkey wrote:

The last guy to rob my house drugged a dog right on the square next to the entrance, blocking his own way out.  He also killed one of the kids, leaving a corpse blocking the path for the family members.

So, I have a few questions.

1. I can't click "done" now without first removing the corpse or making a path around it - so what happens if I just quit out or go idle now, without touching the house?

2. The "broken" house state was saved because the kid was killed, why is there a dead cat in the halls, but not a drugged dog on the doorstep? I was pretty sure I've been killed by a dog sleeping on the square in front of the exit before... but in my house it seems the wife, shotgun and pitbull pet were all reset after the kid was shot, only the broken walls and corpses were saved.

3. When I do fix the house, I understand that the wife will stop at a child's corpse instead of go to the exit..., does this mean at a T intersection where the armed wife has a choice between the exit and a corpse, she will go stand by the corpse?

As an example... http://castledraft.com/editor/zvqnVu

Will the wife take the cat path or the chihuahua path there?

1. If your wife is still alive, it will be put back onto the house list in the state that it currently is, but the family will not even attempt to navigate around the body to the exit.

2. Drugged dogs wake up and return to their spots, along with family, but dead things stay.

3. This only happens when the child is first killed, not just if you leave the body there.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-23 14:23:28)

#3 2014-02-23 13:02:06

eppfel
Website

colorfusion wrote:

2. Drugged dogs wake up and return to their spots, along with family, but dead things stay.

Hey, I'm not 100% sure, but I think drugged dogs stay where they have been drugged.

#4 2014-02-23 13:30:05

Sybernetik

Drugged dogs wake up in the spot they were drugged.

#5 2014-02-23 13:51:40

monkey

Sybernetik wrote:

Drugged dogs wake up in the spot they were drugged.

That's what I thought too, drugging a dog near the entrance could make a level impossible without tools. Maybe it changed recently?

edit: yeah, I just had a guy make it to the vault, sleeping dogs stayed sleeping, so it seems either sleeping animals reset if family is killed but not if vault is reached, or they are reset if they're right on the entrance?

Last edited by monkey (2014-02-23 14:52:28)

#6 2014-02-23 17:18:34

joshwithguitar

I'm pretty sure it is just the tile next to the welcome mat that a sleeping dog won't remain on. I also think dogs will revert to their position if put to sleep where another (non-drugged) dog starts.

Also I'm pretty sure that now if a family member blocks the path other family members will attempt to find another path and will continue until the body if completely blocked. This was added to make the shotgun more effective as you could no longer kill a child next to the welcome mat and then walk up to the immobile wife with a club on a second visit.

#7 2014-02-23 19:09:50

iceman
Website

I'm pretty sure they don't actually get another path.  Jason said that if the wife has 2 open paths to the exit, she'll always take the shortest one, even if the child's in the way.  She'll just move until she reaches the child then stop - that way, she still picks up a shotgun.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer