The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-03 10:24:45

Darkshadow

Idea: Tools in construction mode.

Bugarly tools can be placed in construction mode, perhaps from a relevant household item object (sink gives water, tool bench gives saw etc...),
The object can be set to how many tools it contains. Self-test remains the same with no starting tools only the ones you pick up in the house.

As all tools are dropped upon leaving a house, a thief could not rob houses to get tooled up for a different raid.

Benefits:

• More options, without issue of having to create code/assets or confusing a player with new interactions functionality

• Player has to judge Benefit/Risk to placing a tool, could it allow for a more challenging solution or could a thief exploit the tool in unexpected ways?

• Allows better self-testing, would my elaborate electronics fail with one snip here?

Drawback:

• A player while testing could carry around a gun or other items to avoid falling victim to their own traps while testing.

Please discuss the idea and offer suggestions/improvements smile I feel it has potential, imagine the gut wrenching feeling watching the tape of a thief that picks up the gun you placed meant for the otherwise impassable pitbull and instead heads over to your wife.

#2 2014-04-03 14:55:45

iceman
Website

Re: Idea: Tools in construction mode.

As much as I love the idea of an "Emergency Tool Room", which the owner has hidden behind a bunch of traps in case anything goes wrong during a house test (I can almost scream when thinking about the possibilities!!!), I'm not sure if it would be good for the game.  There are 2 ways to take it: either you can use tools to complete a self test, or they're just an "emergency backup plan", to maybe save your life if a self test goes wrong.

In the first case, it will make it much, much harder to rob someone.  You could have 2/3 of a house the same as a house right now would be, except there's a toolchest filled with 7 explosives at the end.  Everyone except the owner will have to spend an *incredible* amount of money trying to figure out which of the 340 concrete tiles (the other third of the house) the vault is hidden behind.  The brilliant thing about the current, no-tools solution is that there's *always* some indication of where the vault could be, although the house owner is going to disguise it as much as possible.

The other option would be just to leave it as an emergency kit.  It would have to be near the entrance of your house, but that means that you're going to end up helping a lot of robbers by giving them free tools.  I for one, would prefer just putting in the time to test my house non-lethally than to give someone a better chance at robbing me.

I think the best option for having tools in a self test would be to let you take whatever you wanted.  If you don't use them, you lose them, but your self test passes.  If you *do* use a tool, then even if you reach the safe, your self test doesn't count (and you still lose the tools).  It gives you a chance at surviving a mistake in a self test (if you're willing to pay for the tools), while keeping the requirement of having a no tool solution.  I think it could also introduce deliberate (but hidden) weaknesses in houses, to save money for self test.  Say, have wooden walls around a pit commit be 5 thick, except for a spot where they're 2 thick and have a little passage leading to the entrance.  You know where it is, so if something goes wrong, you can get out for $800 instead of $1800, but most robbers won't find it.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-04-03 17:03:13

Darkshadow

iceman wrote:

In the first case, it will make it much, much harder to rob someone.  You could have 2/3 of a house the same as a house right now would be, except there's a toolchest filled with 7 explosives at the end.  Everyone except the owner will have to spend an *incredible* amount of money trying to figure out which of the 340 concrete tiles (the other third of the house) the vault is hidden behind.  The brilliant thing about the current, no-tools solution is that there's *always* some indication of where the vault could be, although the house owner is going to disguise it as much as possible.

Yes I can see the issue with that.

iceman wrote:

I think the best option for having tools in a self test would be to let you take whatever you wanted.  If you don't use them, you lose them, but your self test passes.  If you *do* use a tool, then even if you reach the safe, your self test doesn't count (and you still lose the tools).  It gives you a chance at surviving a mistake in a self test (if you're willing to pay for the tools), while keeping the requirement of having a no tool solution.  I think it could also introduce deliberate (but hidden) weaknesses in houses, to save money for self test.  Say, have wooden walls around a pit commit be 5 thick, except for a spot where they're 2 thick and have a little passage leading to the entrance.  You know where it is, so if something goes wrong, you can get out for $800 instead of $1800, but most robbers won't find it.

That sounds like a good workaround. I also thought about how use of tools would mean a builder might build hidden weaknesses into walls.

#4 2014-04-06 22:37:15

pagedMov

It would be pretty cool to be able to have free tools to test stuff like paradox circuits and to save yourself in a failed self-test, but if you were to get to your own vault using tools, instead of leaving the house to the neighborhood screen, it would take you back to editor mode as if you had exited through the front door, so that you would have to solve your house non-lethally to leave.

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

Board footer