The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-06 04:09:44

Raisane

save states (still permanent dead)

what i think might be a good idea is that you can "save" your rooms, i don't mean that you get the room back once you die, but i mean that you can rebuy a room for the money it is worth. saying i make a 1900$ house, complete it and i think it's a masterpiece (but took time making) but i die in my first robbery. if i die then i start in an empty room with 2k$ so i buy the room back for 1900$ and have 100$ over. now i succesfully rob a few people and got 5k$, i invest in my room so that i put 4.3k$ stuff in it. now i die again. so i start with 2k$ i can either buy the 1900$ room, or make a makeshift one of 400$ and rob other people again, till i have 4,4k$. now i buy back the 4,3k$ room i made.

if you include this with a name for a player, people can't just keep on using the same room, because people will eventually know how the room works and rob it. i also think you should be able to add people, to try and rob eachothers houses (with a safekeeping thing that once you rob the room of a person, 3 other people must die in one of his/her rooms till you can rob that person again)

-raisane

#2 2013-04-06 04:13:21

Raisane

Re: save states (still permanent dead)

extra note: i think it'd be nice to know the stats of your own room smile

#3 2013-04-06 05:28:34

Nikolajlk

Raisane wrote:

... people will eventually know how the room works and rob it.

That's pretty much the problem.
You're supposed to trick the robbers, so if someone once knew how to get into an old house, he will be able to tell how to get in there again, easily. Despite how much money the house is worth.

#4 2013-04-06 05:38:20

Raisane

but if you lost your house because you died somewhere, people still don't know how your house works, yet sooner or later, you can get that house back.
my point with the statement "because people will eventually know how the room works and rob it" is that if people don't care about that, they'll only lose a lot of money.

extra note: if you combine this with the map auction idea, there will also exist maps about your rooms, not only does this support the idea as in that maps won't lose all their worth the moment the person dies, and there will also be maps out there for your rooms, so you'll have to care about that and thus change your room (with the same basic layout)

#5 2013-04-06 07:03:24

colorfusion

I prefer the current system; it encourages people to try something new each time as building the same trap would get boring. Also with this system I don't think there'll be enough penalty for death; you can just die and load from a save to get some money if you're robbed.

#6 2013-04-06 11:36:30

RockyB

This game really, really needs some way of serialising out your house designs to a file. Spending half an hour reconstituting a $2,000 starter house from screenshots and hazy memory, after accidentally putting a pitbull on the wrong tile or double-tapping left on your keyboard, is not fun gameplay for the majority of people. Not to mention that it would be nice to have an easy-to-read overview of an entire house, rather than a small portion of it.

If you want an in-game justification charge a 10% 'architects fee' or something. Let's be honest, pre-fab housing and alarm systems aren't exactly ususual.

Board footer