The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-05 10:10:14

cullman

Facility to report dual accounts PLEASE!

Jason,

Can we set up a facility to report dual accounts?

This keeps happening to me over and over and I love this game but I am about to give up on it.   Which really bums me out, I read the article where you said a game should get more expensive as time goes on.  I bought that argument and I will admit I have gotten a lot for my money, but I can't in good conscious recommend the game to anyone else with the rampant cheating.  It seems to me if there was a way for me to say.  Review the tape where "Oscar Dennis Graves" dumped $2000 of tools in my $280 house only to be perfectly robbed by Craig Jason Phillips for $3503 (2 more people died in between leaving tools) 5 minutes later.  It's clearly a dual accounter.  You should be able to see what license key had these names at this time and just ban them for good.  I think it would be a little work for you or someone (I would volunteer to do this for you, I am a software engineer/manager) up front but eventually the cheaters would get tired of buying licenses and loosing them.

#2 2014-04-05 11:13:04

BoxDrunken

Re: Facility to report dual accounts PLEASE!

Who's to say he doesn't support dual account's?

#3 2014-04-05 11:14:33

Lord0fHam

all you have to do is make your house so that a second 2k account can't find the vault. if the alt account didn't find the vault and the main did, then you just got plain robbed.

It's a trap!

#4 2014-04-05 12:20:33

cullman

I get what you are saying LoH.  However, sometimes I want a house that is an income generator more than a vault protector.  What if we did this, what if we had a mechanism where when viewing tapes, you could flag someone and say that these 2 accounts are dual and cheating.  Then you could have an option where you could say I will only allow people into my house with a cheat ration of x::y.  Ie, if a user is accused of cheating once out of ten times you could set your house to say, I will only only allow people in that 9 out of 10 times aren't accused of cheating.  People that have really good houses could set their house where they would let anyone in whether they are cheating or not.  I think this would solve it, without having a manual process...it's sort of like eBay feedback.

#5 2014-04-05 12:23:20

Lord0fHam

i can see where you are coming from, but in my own experience with robbing and being robbed, sometimes people just get REALLY REALLY lucky. Also, the top houses could abuse this system to not get robbed.

It's a trap!

#6 2014-04-05 12:40:29

cullman

Listen, the reason I rule this out of luck is it it all happened in 7-8 minutes.  The guy who did it had last least 3-4k to his name and a house that looks like it's in the 10ks.  Who goes into a house like that, scouts with no tools right past a powered door with no door stop or meat?  That plus the cops coming were a dead give away.  The easiest thing would be for Jason to look at their keys and see how many other times he has done this.  That would rule out the lucky case.  Anyway, people that flagged in the lucky case (I have guessed combo locks first try, I'm sure that looks shady) but that happens once every 50 robberies.  People that are getting flagged 10,20,30% of the time are the ones you ban from your house.

Last edited by cullman (2014-04-05 12:42:01)

#7 2014-04-05 14:00:25

Storm

cullman wrote:

You should be able to see what license key had these names at this time and just ban them for good
Ie, if a user is accused of cheating once out of ten times you could set your house to say, I will only only allow people in that 9 out of 10 times aren't accused of cheating.
set their house where they would let anyone in whether they are cheating or not
it's sort of like eBay feedback.
People that are getting flagged 10,20,30% of the time are the ones you ban from your house.

whoah, slow down there "1984"

maybe multiple accounts are another natural evolution of this game. I know crazyace uses them (currently #1 house) because I watched his money jump by ~2-5k evenly over the course of 20 or 30 grand or so in under an hour till he was in the lead. Blip also uses them as he said. Maybe the open arena, sandbox nature of this game is going in that direction presently. Who knows where it will go next or if a solution will be found to equalize the playing field that doesn't involve some harsh, programmatic meticulous rigid rules in place. IP to account comparisons, user account behavior tracking and banning them if they step out of line, and other heavy-handed measures. or what about more rigid account creation that binds a real identity to a game one? You must verify your identity to proceed? There is no good way to separate alt accounts from main accounts. you don't know who's really playing on which account. anything you do to stop one person from alting could just as easily stop others who aren't. the game tracking your account level movements, players providing feedback on those that robbed them? lol... and having arbitrary code telling you when you can and can't do standard actions or the home owner saying who can rob them and who can't? how many times would any of those approaches be not quite fine-tuned enough so as to stop a non-alting player from playing the game or from executing some clever, unforeseen maneuver.

In any case, I don't think the nature of the game lends itself to that, gray line as alting may be. The point is: the nature of this game is the open human responses to a certain type of situation and then what happens. It's kinda cool in its purity like that. and anything done to impede alting will potentially impede that as well. I didn't make the game, I'm not Jason and have no idea what he's thinking, I'm just Saiyan. To me a bright side of the alting situation, if you don't see it as another evolution of the game and what people are choosing to do atm, is it gives Jason $16 bucks when someone gets an alt. That's cool w me cause clearly he's making some original badass games, and I'd like to see more of them.

tl;dr: you can't stop alting without fucking the game up. this game is cool and alting increases the chances of getting more games like it.

and look... now the game has naturally evolved to having its very first real cash moneys bounty placed on somebody's head. how fun is that smile ? love this game... "i'll pay you real money to go and fuck that guys house up, thats how pissed off i am". lol...

#8 2014-04-05 15:52:09

crazyace

How about lets view this in a different way. Anyone remember WoW.. and the first time you saw 5 shaman on the AV bridge destroying the whole team. Multiboxing 5 characters was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in any game. 5 druids, 5 locks, 5 shaman, multiple hunters and mages. I had games in AV over 100s of kills alone with multiple accounts going like 40:0 together. Using 5 stealthed druids I wiped the whole other team (35 of 40) in about a 3 second period. Was that unfair or something that I put a lot of time and work into to be good and work correctly coordinated.

Blizzard did a lot of things to accommodate my multiboxing actually, at one point they gave me over $500 in free account transfers because I had over 22+ lvl 80s and 85s. Over 800 solo 5v5 arena wins. Maybe they felt bad for me paying around $50 a month to be a nerd. Blizzard supported multiboxers.

Life is simple, if you want fun, it costs, a movie is $15 a ticket now? So is this game.

Now the reason that relates to this is many ways. People will find ways to say something is unfair. When they can simply do the same thing. This game has a slow pace, little action and deep impacts when you die. If people didn't have multiple accounts this game might have already died. If it bothers you so much, try it or move on.

#9 2014-04-05 15:55:07

Lord0fHam

crazyace wrote:

How about lets view this in a different way. Anyone remember WoW.. and the first time you saw 5 shaman on the AV bridge destroying the whole team. Multiboxing 5 characters was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in any game. 5 druids, 5 locks, 5 shaman, multiple hunters and mages. I had games in AV over 100s of kills alone with multiple accounts going like 40:0 together. Using 5 stealthed druids I wiped the whole other team (35 of 40) in about a 3 second period. Was that unfair or something that I put a lot of time and work into to be good and work correctly coordinated.

Blizzard did a lot of things to accommodate my multiboxing actually, at one point they gave me over $500 in free account transfers because I had over 22+ lvl 80s and 85s. Over 800 solo 5v5 arena wins. Maybe they felt bad for me paying around $50 a month to be a nerd. Blizzard supported multiboxers.

Life is simple, if you want fun, it costs, a movie is $15 a ticket now? So is this game.

Now the reason that relates to this is many ways. People will find ways to say something is unfair. When they can simply do the same thing. This game has a slow pace, little action and deep impacts when you die. If people didn't have multiple accounts this game might have already died. If it bothers you so much, try it or move on.

that is a very good, if somewhat strange, analogy and is a good explanation of how to cope.

It's a trap!

#10 2014-04-05 16:07:31

xandalis

If you're looking to get some practice and a bit of "sanboxing" done to learn more of the game, you might want to check out the community server. http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … hp?id=1005

Different settings in place, higher starting funds, cheaper house objects. Unchanged tool prices, etc. All the details are in the thread. It's pretty quiet right now, but there are a few homes up on the list.

#11 2014-04-05 16:15:52

crazyace

It goes both ways, yes more fun, more work, more macros, more coordination, more time and money. Imagine trying to gear 20+ lvl 80s. Games are about gaining what experience you want out of it.

This game is more fun than ESO that I got yesterday and already bored of.

For this game to thrive the real conversation needs to be ways of promoting the game, getting people to enjoy the sometimes slow pace or little action. I really think there should be some kind of incentive to keep people coming back daily, like $30 an hour 'salary' or something small, whats that $700 a day? that would give people more to look forward to than just a few $100 bty kill videos.

Basic things, even like a sound if someone dies in your house so you can have it on in the backround, watching tv and you know someone died. I bet people spam that filter button just wishing someone would die for them to watch.

#12 2014-04-05 16:47:41

xandalis

crazyace wrote:

I bet people spam that filter button just wishing someone would die for them to watch.

Yup. That I do. Also, the hourly wage would be nice to see "back" in the game (though it was gone by the time I'd started). That way, even if a house has gone "abandoned," yet un-robbed while at low value, eventually it'll be a very tempting heist. Would also put much more emphasis on protecting not just your safe, but your wife as well. Or maybe the kids can have a lemonade stand out front to mooch some of a robber's take (from their own home) back into your wallet. (Okay, that one was a little crazy).

#13 2014-04-05 17:13:25

cullman

I appreciate the advice.  Here is my issue.  Clearly, Jason has taken some measures to prevent alting and they aren't entirely effective, so I believe that this game isn't meant to be alt'd.  I have plenty of funds to buy 10 accounts, I don't want to play that way.  For that matter I am a software engineer with a crypto background I am sure I could hack this game 100 different ways.  What's the point of playing this game with cheating.  What's interesting to me about is the test of my puzzle solving and building skills against the community. Not my ability to buy to accounts or hack up the client, two things I think I can probably do better than most here.  If I want to spend money to solve this maybe I should just offer Jason $2k to spend a day to write some of my suggestions.  I don't know.  My issue is the game is considerably less fun in my mind with less fresh blood coming into the game.  I have noticed in the last month that there are very few new houses, and while Jason may be getting more income from people alting, I think he would get far more income if he had a balanced fair game that didn't totally punish a one account holding newbie.

As for the advice on practicing, I appreciate the help, but I am actually pretty good at this game. I've gotten up to $50k many times and on the top page 2-3 or times and no one has ever solved my primary design once I get up to $4k, I always die robbing or self testing.  Today I was starting from scratch and I had chills on the few houses I view as solvable with $2k (though I broke 2).  Then I got alt'd twice in a row on a sub $300 house while I was trying to trap and earn.  I mean if this game is meant to mimic a real life robbery in anyway what robber is going to waste $2000 of tools to rob a $280 house.

#14 2014-04-05 21:01:35

mala

Storm wrote:

maybe multiple accounts are another natural evolution of this game. I know crazyace uses them (currently #1 house) because I watched his money jump by ~2-5k evenly over the course of 20 or 30 grand or so in under an hour till he was in the lead. Blip also uses them as he said. Maybe the open arena, sandbox nature of this game is going in that direction presently.

Please god no...

If you want to rely on multiple account (you = average TCD player), fine, i have no way to avoid it, but PLEASE stop justifying it.

This game is about BEEING CAREFUL, unless you're on a fresh start. by using 2+ accounts you can scout top houses for free WHILE managing a top house yourself, operation that, with a single account, would cost tons of money if you want to be sure your character will survive the deep scout, and after 1 week+ building your deadly traps YOU WANT to be sure.

There's a difference between "cheating" and "clever use of game mechanic", taking advantage of something not available to each and every player who bought the game, is plain cheating. Like it or not.

I'm still enjoying the game despite the multiaccount problem, but i really hope this is not the natural evolution of the game.

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#15 2014-04-06 11:24:12

Storm

crazyace wrote:

a sound if someone dies in your house so you can have it on in the backround, watching tv and you know someone died.

that would be cool. ur hanging out with someone and your computer makes a noise: "what was that?" "oh, someone just died in my house". heh

Last edited by Storm (2014-04-06 11:25:16)

Board footer