The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-23 01:33:00

eppfel
Website

The Dog Sight Trick

I had three houses which are based on the same trick, killed a lot of people and survived holding money up to 15k easily. Because it is a cheap trick of game mechanics(it was mentioned before) and even the skilled robbers did not get them, I wanted to share them.

House #1: Mr. Hamblin: The Hidden Magic Dance
Nb1k0hI.png
The basic trick to solve all three houses is to step on the cat. The dog will not kill you, because of the cat blocking its way. (!This does not work in a upwards path). The screen than shifts and the second dog spots you.
In this house you could use him to do the magic dance to get to the vault. I think this is an evil house, because you have to suicide without no clue what could possibly open that door.

House #2: Mr. Bruise: 4 Step Death
wie5Q4E.png
What killed a lot of people on the 4th step, was that obvious button north which unpowered the electric floor and the door. When pressed, the clock starts and kills you, right when you're through the door. To further distract from the correct path in the south, I build a commit gate with a closed door.
To solve this house, stepping on the cat would let you step down into the door, frying the dog on your heels. After surpassing the second dog the finishing trap and weak spot was a last defense: The scary wife: Spotting the wife, you had to move towards her and step on the button, so the son would not lock the vault permanently. This works because the wife surpasses you always two tiles away.

House #3: Jason Gerald Alexander: The unpowered dog commit
Sadly there is no mapshot of the house that caused quite an outcry, when Blip and me tackled Welkin and he died in my place.
Jason Gerald Alexander's House on Castledraft
In this house the hidden dog was used to activate the dog commit. But what killed Welkin was the second security. The chiwawa would deactivate the trapdoor again. You actually had to take the dog, behind the first cat. The first commit gate was designed to let the cat, you and the dog pass. After opening some doors in the right order, you had the dog 2 tiles behind you to pass the trapdoor.

What I learned from these houses: if you want to rob, this is all you need for protection. It gets dangerous around 20k, but you can scare people away with commit gates. The obvious weak spot of this trick: both dogs can be clubbed easily. You do not even need to brick the cats. Therefore in my first and last design I hid my wife and my logic.

#2 2014-04-23 01:39:05

StefanLindskog

Re: The Dog Sight Trick

Thanks Eppfel. That was a complete unknown mechanic to me. Also, awesome houses!

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#3 2014-04-23 01:39:58

gyuri

Very nice, thank you for sharing!

#4 2014-04-23 04:27:53

HardKor

Yup, died to that 4 step death a lot without knowing how to get past it.  tongue

#5 2014-04-23 11:03:21

eppfel
Website

Thx, guys! Those houses are just more fun to build, than sitting in my $120k worth mansion, which nobody tries to brute-force, but Blip^^ But right now I don't have any novel ideas.. When I have more time next week maybe.

#6 2014-04-23 11:49:11

Cylence

eppfel wrote:

Thx, guys! Those houses are just more fun to build, than sitting in my $120k worth mansion, which nobody tries to brute-force, but Blip^^ But right now I don't have any novel ideas.. When I have more time next week maybe.

Well, I know a lot about pet movement and priority and since this "cat" is out of the bag, might as well share the extra options.
This works moving south OR west.
The dog will kill you if you move north or east onto a cat.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

Board footer