The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-27 22:13:18

JoyOfTrapping
Member
Registered: 2014-02-08
Posts: 158

How to Recreate the Glory Days?

I'm back.

I want to recreate the glory days.

But how?


YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

Offline

#2 2015-01-28 00:43:56

AMWhy
Member
Registered: 2014-02-04
Posts: 432

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

Wait for Terminal Heist.

Offline

#3 2015-01-28 06:25:01

JAAM
Member
Registered: 2014-11-22
Posts: 299

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

AMWhy wrote:

Wait for Terminal Heist.


well dang that seems a bit close minded...

I was wondering some things on how we could get some new players in here too, Perhaps some form of advertisement or general awareness.

I know a lot of people would like this game, if they just knew about it.


You are unique, just like everybody else.

Offline

#4 2015-01-28 09:12:17

mala
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 415

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

JoyOfTrapping wrote:

I'm back.

I want to recreate the glory days.

But how?


welcome back man big_smile

start by building something, join the neighborhood big_smile


Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

Offline

#5 2015-01-28 11:35:26

JAAM
Member
Registered: 2014-11-22
Posts: 299

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

Well shit i'm not helping much.

Just robbed a guy so i could go investigate what the mala cats do... Go back to kil his wife so i can get the ladders, his commits get me cause i already  robbed his vault FML.
10K lost including all the ladders i needed... i couldn't just build a house with 6K


You are unique, just like everybody else.

Offline

#6 2015-01-28 11:59:07

JoyOfTrapping
Member
Registered: 2014-02-08
Posts: 158

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

I have been playing for the past few days.

I've done some little experiments and observations to check things out.

It's hard to gather data in TCD because of the anonymity involved with everything.

But it looks to me that even in the currently small community there was a good amount of multi-account activity used to gain certain advantages.

I also observed people using multi-account tactics to use mine and others' broken homes as money-dumps for secondary accounts multiple times per day.

That was not part of what I consider the "glory days," as the tactic was not part of the original spirit of play in those days.  Additionally, that much of the aforementioned activity in such a small community of houses means it comprises a large percentage of overall player activity, as opposed to if it were a drop in the bucket on a list of over a hundred houses. 

Again, each person can only be a small vantage point into server activity.  But I found this to be unfortunate.


YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

Offline

#7 2015-01-28 12:42:19

eppfel
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2014-02-01
Posts: 324
Website

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

JAAM wrote:

Well shit i'm not helping much.

Just robbed a guy so i could go investigate what the mala cats do... Go back to kil his wife so i can get the ladders, his commits get me cause i already  robbed his vault FML.
10K lost including all the ladders i needed... i couldn't just build a house with 6K

Oh man, you wasted 6k. smile I robbed Lau for 12k, only because I knew his house would be completely intact afterwards. And then I wanted to give the money to a scout, with a simple commit gate keeping out the house sitters. The left-overs are collected now...

PS: Never mind. That money was used to create a combo lock. Should have left it with Lau.

Last edited by eppfel (2015-01-28 13:12:51)

Offline

#8 2015-01-28 12:52:17

eppfel
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2014-02-01
Posts: 324
Website

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

JoyOfTrapping wrote:

But it looks to me that even in the currently small community there was a good amount of multi-account activity used to gain certain advantages.

I also observed people using multi-account tactics to use mine and others' broken homes as money-dumps for secondary accounts multiple times per day.

I'm positive about at least one dual account player: Mr. Noble and Mr. Robinson. I scouted and solved both houses (I think Robinson is just the reincarnation of the house I robbed) and they are so similar, that I could not imagine a copy cat. But I did not see any money movements between both houses, so who cares?
And actually I don't see an impact of dual account abuse on the game right now. (Despite me holding back money in Limbo wink )

Ps: your methodology would be interesting.

Last edited by eppfel (2015-01-28 13:06:38)

Offline

#9 2015-01-28 20:19:24

cullman
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 424

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

JAAM wrote:
AMWhy wrote:

Wait for Terminal Heist.


well dang that seems a bit close minded...

I was wondering some things on how we could get some new players in here too, Perhaps some form of advertisement or general awareness.

I know a lot of people would like this game, if they just knew about it.

Well I am biased, but I do believe Terminal Heist is the best shot at a return to TCD like glory days. I am planning to advertise Terminal Heist, ban dual account users, and run real money contests....  My goal with Terminal Heist is to recreate the glory days of TCD, all with the benefit of being able to play on your cell phone as well.  I'm also getting rid of random names in most cases.

Last edited by cullman (2015-01-28 20:20:51)

Offline

#10 2015-01-29 15:59:26

JAAM
Member
Registered: 2014-11-22
Posts: 299

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

cullman wrote:
JAAM wrote:
AMWhy wrote:

Wait for Terminal Heist.


well dang that seems a bit close minded...

I was wondering some things on how we could get some new players in here too, Perhaps some form of advertisement or general awareness.

I know a lot of people would like this game, if they just knew about it.

Well I am biased, but I do believe Terminal Heist is the best shot at a return to TCD like glory days. I am planning to advertise Terminal Heist, ban dual account users, and run real money contests....  My goal with Terminal Heist is to recreate the glory days of TCD, all with the benefit of being able to play on your cell phone as well.  I'm also getting rid of random names in most cases.

No i agree it's a great idea I was just a little bit put off by "there is no hope" sound of that short curt reply.


You are unique, just like everybody else.

Offline

#11 2015-01-29 16:49:40

JoyOfTrapping
Member
Registered: 2014-02-08
Posts: 158

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

JAAM wrote:

No i agree it's a great idea I was just a little bit put off by "there is no hope" sound of that short curt reply.

Hi JAAM nice to meet you, glad you're enjoying the game.  Back in the day it was truly marvelous.

I myself wish there was hope too, and I have for some time.  Way back then when numbers were dropping a little bit and gameplay dynamics were changing, I too felt there were a lot of people who would like the game, if only they would hear about it.  Several times myself and others suggested or tried to do some grassroots community advertising stuff, or getting the word out so to speak, but it never really came together.  Or often my feeling was that people would talk a lot, but never unite under one banner, wouldn't do what they said, or simply, posts got bogged down a lot with bitching, complaining and non-sequiturs.  Maybe that sounds cynical but that was my personal feeling.

The only thing that currently crosses my mind is starting a private server with all the original default rules and settings.  Then each person who wanted to play on it would simply "agree" to only ever use a single account out of respect for the desired "rules" and community gameplay dynamics.  Then all the participants doing outreach and contacted old players who want to get in on it.  That's about all I've got.


YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

Offline

#12 2015-01-29 17:18:13

JAAM
Member
Registered: 2014-11-22
Posts: 299

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

JoyOfTrapping wrote:
JAAM wrote:

No i agree it's a great idea I was just a little bit put off by "there is no hope" sound of that short curt reply.

Hi JAAM nice to meet you, glad you're enjoying the game.  Back in the day it was truly marvelous.

I myself wish there was hope too, and I have for some time.  Way back then when numbers were dropping a little bit and gameplay dynamics were changing, I too felt there were a lot of people who would like the game, if only they would hear about it.  Several times myself and others suggested or tried to do some grassroots community advertising stuff, or getting the word out so to speak, but it never really came together.  Or often my feeling was that people would talk a lot, but never unite under one banner, wouldn't do what they said, or simply, posts got bogged down a lot with bitching, complaining and non-sequiturs.  Maybe that sounds cynical but that was my personal feeling.

The only thing that currently crosses my mind is starting a private server with all the original default rules and settings.  Then each person who wanted to play on it would simply "agree" to only ever use a single account out of respect for the desired "rules" and community gameplay dynamics.  Then all the participants doing outreach and contacted old players who want to get in on it.  That's about all I've got.

Yeah it sounded wonderful back then when the filter key had a function big_smile
I agree that some form of advertising or just word of mouth could be useful. we wouldn't need to do a full on ad campaign like you guys had suggested but just getting the word out somewhere would likely bring in new people. Hell i even mentioned it in a game of Counterstrike i was playing one day and some guy said he'd have a look. So yeah people are out there and interested, they just have no clue where to look.


You are unique, just like everybody else.

Offline

#13 2015-01-29 17:57:17

mala
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 415

Re: How to Recreate the Glory Days?

JAAM wrote:

So yeah people are out there and interested, they just have no clue where to look.

that's why i count on Cullman to do proper advertising for TH, lots of peoples are out there looking for hard and really competitive play, but all they get is BILLIONS of clash of candy ads.

With proper advertisement at the beginning it will be pure madness, houses will rise up in value so much and so quickly due to the massive 2k scouts, that you'll need to be 48h straight upgrading your house to avoid profitable bruteforce.
Can't wait for it big_smile


Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB 1.5.8