The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-16 16:38:40

JAAM

You lot still alive?

heyo i'm back from my little break, switched over to the community server since it seems slightly more populated if not better of economically... Now not sure if anyone is here or not but it'd be nice to have a little roll call just to know who's still out there.

You are unique, just like everybody else.

#2 2015-05-17 15:24:49

mala

Re: You lot still alive?

still following the forum, but i have no time to play.

definitively planning on coming back, love this game too much to give up big_smile

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#3 2015-05-18 23:57:51

Kimenzar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

build a new house up like a week ago. I did some renovation today, hope plenty visitors are coming big_smile

#4 2015-05-23 11:47:54

zak2oo

I've been around forever off and on but dont get on forums to much smile.

#5 2015-05-26 14:07:34

LiteS

Heh, I just built a house about a week ago and have been doing quite nicely. It seems TCD is actually a lot more fun now than the chaotic early days when my house would be decimated by endless fools while I slept. Now that the sum in my vault doesn't skyrocket overnight, I can actually build a house at a reasonable pace.

Also, the 2k suicide attackers are a lot smarter too. I've noticed the players actually learn from their past lives, disarming "hidden" traps the step before they activate, even making it to potential vault locations over the course of a few days. It's turned into a fun shell game where I keep moving the vault and upgrading while they keep guessing. The endgame of a completed house seems like it will take a month or so, and with such smart suicide robbers I'm surprised there's a house standing at 50k.

#6 2015-05-27 04:46:41

voxel

Hey guys. Haven't played or even read these forums for months, except for once. Guess I should try to log in every so now and then just to act as fodder. Haven't looked into the community server. Still had some patches for the game client (import/export house design) I wanted to release.

EDIT: Oh turns out Frosty implemented it himself, server-side? But I guess that doesn't apply to the official server, so might still be some value in it. Especially if you want to design the map in castledraft

Last edited by voxel (2015-05-27 04:57:09)

#7 2015-05-27 15:35:00

FreeLove

LiteS wrote:

Also, the 2k suicide attackers are a lot smarter too. I've noticed the players actually learn from their past lives, disarming "hidden" traps the step before they activate, even making it to potential vault locations over the course of a few days. It's turned into a fun shell game where I keep moving the vault and upgrading while they keep guessing. The endgame of a completed house seems like it will take a month or so, and with such smart suicide robbers I'm surprised there's a house standing at 50k.

I should probably mention I've been lurking from time to time. I actually cracked the top house on Frosty's server a couple days ago, but I just suicided in front of the vault because I don't have any good ideas for a house.

If I may be so bold, I think I've learned new things about cracking magic dances that I never before imagined possible. At the moment, cat movement traps seem to be giving me the most difficulty at 2k (though the mechanics of these dances are usually not too expensive to break into, with a little more than 2k). Still hoping to come up with a reliable way to crack the two top cat dances.

Also, I suspect Kimenzar is doing a lot of bright 2k scouting.

I only post because I care <3

#8 2015-05-29 11:20:52

Kimenzar

I have a second account, but the rule not to visit houses i want to rob with my main. It takes the thrill to die. Today i scouted the second top house. Maybe i will crack it in the next days =p

Edit:
Carson Victor Parsons, thats what you get for trying to get to my wife neutral

Last edited by Kimenzar (2015-05-29 21:51:19)

#9 2015-06-02 05:28:12

mala

i wish i had some time to play, i really miss the hard times, the panic of someone getting close to your vault, the hunt for paintings, the pressure of self tests, the unavoidable demise of your small kingdom.

i still have my old plan, soon or later it will be time to resume it.

Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#10 2015-06-18 10:21:49

Passive

I am still lurking. Not playing though.

#11 2015-06-21 21:42:55

HardKor

I want to play again, but then I remember that the game has no player base. sad

#12 2015-06-22 23:54:37

Osmium_Planet

I'm still around, but my houses generally suck. I've pulled off a few good robberies though big_smile

#13 2015-07-01 23:02:08

joshwithguitar

I've been back for a few weeks, decided to rebuild my Mr Price/Mr Williams house and see how long it could last/how much money I could make. I've just completed the (very expensive) house and so far it seems to be doing pretty well.

#14 2015-07-06 04:02:06

mala

joshwithguitar wrote:

I've been back for a few weeks, decided to rebuild my Mr Price/Mr Williams house and see how long it could last/how much money I could make. I've just completed the (very expensive) house and so far it seems to be doing pretty well.

wow josh, welcome back, haven't seen you for a long time big_smile

#15 2015-07-06 20:56:34

joshwithguitar

Thanks mala,

Yeah, it has been a while. I'm not sure I'll dedicate enough time to develop any new house designs but it has been fun running an old proven design and dominating the neighbourhood smile.

It looks like you've made a few interesting houses since I've been gone smile. Are you thinking of starting a new house anytime soon?

#16 2015-07-07 06:48:35

mala

joshwithguitar wrote:

Thanks mala,

Yeah, it has been a while. I'm not sure I'll dedicate enough time to develop any new house designs but it has been fun running an old proven design and dominating the neighbourhood smile.

It looks like you've made a few interesting houses since I've been gone smile. Are you thinking of starting a new house anytime soon?

i still have a 1/3 new house plan. so i may start from there, but i don't know if i will have time to manage the house.

anyway i won't let this game go, it's too addictive to me

#17 2015-07-07 07:32:31

cullman

If only you could play this game on the go, like on phone or something, I feel like it would be easier to manage!  All joking and shilling aside, one of my biggest gripes about trying to play this game with a full-time job is when your $2k-proof house with $1500 in it all the sudden gets $10k dropped in it and you have no idea. What do you guys think about optional push notifications and emails on certain events : a certain threshold of cash is dumped in or reached, a family member dies, the vault is accesses or even someone steps on a certain square in your house?

#18 2015-07-07 07:56:58

mala

cullman wrote:

If only you could play this game on the go, like on phone or something, I feel like it would be easier to manage!  All joking and shilling aside, one of my biggest gripes about trying to play this game with a full-time job is when your $2k-proof house with $1500 in it all the sudden gets $10k dropped in it and you have no idea. What do you guys think about optional push notifications and emails on certain events : a certain threshold of cash is dumped in or reached, a family member dies, the vault is accesses or even someone steps on a certain square in your house?

well, a sort of security system, i like it smile

especially the tile one.

we already have cameras inside the house, you can make it so that certain areas trigger notification (if desired).

i imagine it like a sort of overlay, you can paint a whole room in red and labeling it "Zone 1", changing the color will change the zone number so you can have multiple checkpoints.

#19 2015-07-07 09:31:05

Passive

Could certainly be part of your paid extras I think without giving an actual advantage.

I do like Mala's idea of different checkpoints. "Someone has passed checkpoint one". I think even simple ones such as "Someone has died in your house" would be worth part of the $$$ paid for extra.

#20 2015-07-07 12:09:08

cullman

Yeah, that's my thought making the paid extras be aimed at people with more money than time. I had trouble competing last summer with kids who were on summer vacation while I was at work. The idea that an advanced house editor, notifications, the ability to pause or delist your house for a certain number of hours are all kind of convenience things but not really pay to win type buyables. However, the more I think about it I think after the game gets going and we get critical mass I am leaning towards charging $5 to create a new account ( with the old accounts being grandfathered in). Otherwise, banning cheaters will be relatively toothless if one can create unlimited accounts.

Last edited by cullman (2015-07-07 12:10:02)

#21 2015-07-08 10:43:58

Passive

cullman wrote:

the ability to pause or delist your house for a certain number of hours

This I am not entirely sure about. Could be used very heavly for pay to win depending on how it is implemented. For example "Mala is constantly trying ot break into my house, however i know his usual play times so i make sure i delist my house then."

Agree that something needs to happen to make banning cheaters actually hurt them.

#22 2015-07-08 12:31:22

cullman

Well, the reality is people were already using macros to delist their house.  Setting up a script to stay in edit mode and move their character left then right every 60 seconds, keeping their houses delisted perpetually.  I was thinking the ability to delist/pause for 8-12 hours in every 48 hours.  My reasoning is this, I couldn't play competitively with a family and a job, often I would be editing my house for an hour and all the sudden an emergency would come up and I am forced to either abandon my changes or try to hurry through a self-test.  If there was a way to make the game more of an even playing field for people that have interrupt driven lives, means more active players.  Also, if we give people a legitimate way to pause it works as a release valve to keep people from having to figure out how to have illegitimate ways to pause.  This is my same feeling with dual accounts.  If we allow for people to have 2 or N players in accounts (of course legitimate dual accounts won't be able to dump tools in each other's houses, and potentially wouldn't be allowed to go into the same house that their dual died in etc) that will reduce the desire to illegitimately have dual accounts. I think wanting to dual account is natural, as I have stated before, when I have had an awesome house that I am afraid to lose, so I am forced to either play in a dual to play the game at all if I'm afraid of robbing, or my game experience is relegated to just watching security tapes.

#23 2015-07-08 13:08:37

Passive

True on the house thing. Once you have an okay one you do get kinda stuck not playing the game.

#24 2015-07-15 01:14:32

joshwithguitar

Looks like there has been a sudden surge in player activity - 19 active houses!

#25 2015-07-23 05:55:15

mala

wow, i woke up and found something like 10+ tries on my house, 9 deaths, tons of tools, and 2 nice bounties 800$ & 1300&.

ty guys that helped alot smile

i'm pretty close to finish the layout, i've tried to diverge from a bunkerish style on this one, hope you enjoy it.

Board footer