The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-26 11:20:35

trickloop

Possibilty of more varied family types in future update?

I bought the game last week and I'm really enjoying it despite how much of a noob I am. My only complaint is I wish the characters had varied, gender, race, and sexuality. Perhaps based on actual statistics of the U.S. population? I'm not saying I think users should be able to select any of these factors, it should be randomly generated.

For example does the builder/robber "head of the family" person always need to be a white man?

Here are two example familys:

-Family 1: two black female children, and a gay black couple (male or female)

-Family 2: asian boy and girl, male and female asian parents. The parent selected to be the player is random.

I understand this would probably be a big update but I think it's important.

#2 2014-01-26 11:29:18

g0m

Re: Possibilty of more varied family types in future update?

I'd be down with that. The sprites are pretty androgynous so it'd just be a matter of adding more names to the generator and maybe adding a few palette swaps (or maybe I'm wrong? Hell, I didn't make the game)

#3 2014-01-26 11:41:39

colorfusion

Something like this can already easily be implemented for the wife and children just by just changing the textures in your own game files, although each one would still be randomized individually.

Changing the names and the father/player would require code changing and be harder, since you'd need to link it to a robber outfit as well as all of the dead states.

I don't personally think it's worth doing as a game update, there'd need to be a lot of new sprites so you didn't end up with just one family of each ethnicity.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-01-26 11:46:53)

#4 2014-01-26 12:07:34

iceman
Website

Also, Jason has stated in this thread that you aren't playing as a random character - you're playing as a specific, white male in a newspaper ad, who has a wife and 2 kids.

If you want to have some variety in the families, you can always go into the game folder, go into graphicElements, and edit the pictures in the son, daughter, or wife folders.  In fact, you can even make a ton and distribute on a thread, like someone did with a halloween mod.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer