The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-01 12:07:54

darkkolt

Few Things I Noticed About The Game

Just a few things I noticed in the game:

1. Having a family in the game is a burden, there is not really much reward for still having them. In my opinion if you dont have a family you have a lot more flexibility and room to make a better house because there is no restrictions. A fix for this is maybe rewarding the player $X/hour for having your wife or kids, this way it makes it a little fair.

2. When someone finally robs you for all your money using a lot of tools it is frustrating having to restart because you are at 0 dollars. Yes i understand that is a part of the game, but since you lose all your tools when you reach a vault, because you have to make room for whatever the vault contains, i think it would be fair that the person who got robbed gets all the extra tools the robber didn't use. This can have the person at 0 dollars have a chance to either rob someone with his remaining tools, or sell his tools and maybe keep playing if it is enough to stay afloat. This also goes for someone leaving your house with tools why don't you get those tools that they dropped?

3. The magic dance meta is really annoying and boring, especially when someone really knows how to exploit it well. It makes it that you have to brute force it with A LOT of tools, and gives people with a medium amount of tools no way of reaching past that point. How a dog can follow your every movement through 4 thick walls( or more i don't know) doesn't make sense and to me is really broken. If those movement mechanics were gone maybe we can see some more interesting houses instead of the same boring thing.

I hope i expressed my points correctly. Thoughts?

Last edited by darkkolt (2014-02-01 12:20:04)

#2 2014-02-01 12:24:21

PlasmaChroma

Re: Few Things I Noticed About The Game

I'm thinking the sight range is actually farther than 4.  At least I recall being in magic dance houses that went farther.

One thing that makes them really difficult is the inability to preemptively short out wire floors via water (which upping the cost to wire cutters makes it pretty costly).  If floors could have water dumped on them ahead of time, I think a lot of these traps would have to change due to a low cost infiltration.  Although that would probably just result in more trap-doors getting used, but that would introduce a different set of vulnerabilities.

Last edited by PlasmaChroma (2014-02-01 12:27:04)

#3 2014-02-01 12:34:12

colorfusion

PlasmaChroma wrote:

I'm thinking the sight range is actually farther than 4.  At least I recall being in magic dance houses that went farther.

One thing that makes them really difficult is the inability to preemptively short out wire floors via water (which upping the cost to wire cutters makes it pretty costly).  If floors could have water dumped on them ahead of time, I think a lot of these traps would have to change due to a low cost infiltration.  Although that would probably just result in more trap-doors getting used, but that would introduce a different set of vulnerabilities.

The sight is calculated from if you can see them, there isn't a specific range. They also can't see you if they're off screen, because you can't see them, even if they're just a few tiles away.

#4 2014-02-01 13:13:32

Vegeta9001

darkkolt wrote:

Just a few things I noticed in the game:
2. When someone finally robs you for all your money using a lot of tools it is frustrating having to restart because you are at 0 dollars. Yes i understand that is a part of the game, but since you lose all your tools when you reach a vault, because you have to make room for whatever the vault contains, i think it would be fair that the person who got robbed gets all the extra tools the robber didn't use. This can have the person at 0 dollars have a chance to either rob someone with his remaining tools, or sell his tools and maybe keep playing if it is enough to stay afloat. This also goes for someone leaving your house with tools why don't you get those tools that they dropped?Thoughts?

Completely agree with you *Me want those dropped tools plssss* ;p

#5 2014-02-01 13:28:23

setz
Website

There used to be a income your Wife would accrue darkkolt but that was removed a handful of versions ago.

Here is the post where Jason explains the reasoning:

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … php?id=475

#6 2014-02-01 13:34:10

darkkolt

setz wrote:

There used to be a income your Wife would accrue darkkolt but that was removed a handful of versions ago.

Here is the post where Jason explains the reasoning:

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … php?id=475

I agree with some of the reasoning but i guess the salary was too high to be able to sit there and grind it, there is no point of having a family at the moment besides shotgun which is not that scary.

#7 2014-02-01 13:41:19

iceman
Website

The point of having a family is having a second chance - if you're robbed without a wife, you're at 0 dollars and almost certainly have to start over.  If you have a wife, you can actually continue in that life - she'll keep enough enough money for you to either attract more robbers or buy tools for a big robbery. The wife is a second chance in a game that has none.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#8 2014-02-01 14:19:46

darkkolt

iceman wrote:

The point of having a family is having a second chance - if you're robbed without a wife, you're at 0 dollars and almost certainly have to start over.  If you have a wife, you can actually continue in that life - she'll keep enough enough money for you to either attract more robbers or buy tools for a big robbery. The wife is a second chance in a game that has none.

If you've figured out how to get to the vault in most cases you can backtrack either by just walking or brute forcing back with tools(if somehow it got blocked off), to go look for the wife an kill her like the 80% of people that robbed me did. And its not that hard to figure out where she is either because there has to be no obstacles in her path. So really when it comes down to being one of the top houses there is not going to be a second chance because people will kill her and take your vault too for all your money.

Last edited by darkkolt (2014-02-01 14:20:04)

#9 2014-02-01 14:43:12

ladida

If you end up with no money and a demolished house, I guess you have only a small chance to get money either from robbers dying in your remaining traps or successfully rob a house with no tools. The problem I experienced is that I cannot recreate every part of the house without money. Most parts are replaceable by doubleclicking on it with the same tile without cost. But when a pet ends up on a trap, both are lost (I guess.. is that correct?).

Whats about some kind of credit you can get if you have no money - only for replacing lost objects and pets? And you have to pay 200% or so later if you have the money. So you can decide if its worth to either start new or pay a lot of money.

#10 2014-02-01 16:14:40

iceman
Website

darkkolt wrote:
iceman wrote:

If you've figured out how to get to the vault in most cases you can backtrack either by just walking or brute forcing back with tools(if somehow it got blocked off), to go look for the wife an kill her like the 80% of people that robbed me did. And its not that hard to figure out where she is either because there has to be no obstacles in her path. So really when it comes down to being one of the top houses there is not going to be a second chance because people will kill her and take your vault too for all your money.

Here's my experience - I had 80k, someone brute forced to my safe, but because my wife was still alive I still had 20k.  2 robberies later, I was back at 80k.

Generally, you can't benefit from the destruction going to the safe to get closer to the wife - they're two different parts of the house.  Also, since you can't know how many dogs there are defending the wife, you don't want to go after her unless you KNOW you'll reach her- otherwise, you'll have just wasted x guns.  Add that to the fact that usually only about a quarter of the houses' worth is with the wife because of tools, and not as many people brute force to the wife as you'd think.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer