The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-05 15:15:10

Secret Santana

Game window unresponsive today

I am having a strange issue today that has not happened previously in the last week.

Every time I watch a tape for my house, whether using play or step, the game will take about 10 steps and then freeze up for 1-5 seconds at a time.  By freeze up I mean the buttons don't respond to mouse-over, nothing is moving, and the window itself can't be moved (Not Responding).  Then suddenly it will update a single frame and freeze again.  By single frame I mean the fog-of-war *slightly* updates (a few pixels change), the buttons become mouse-over state from when I was hovering over them several seconds ago, and if I attempted to drag the window it may move several pixels here.

This will happen for a bit, then it will start working... for about 3-5 seconds then go back to the freeze-up cycle state.

Anyone else seeing this?  I played for several days beforehand and saw no problems like this.

For reference, I've tried restart game/machine and also have nothing else running.

#2 2014-02-05 17:04:05

iceman
Website

Re: Game window unresponsive today

Are there a lot of electronics in your house?  Something similar happened to me when I was in someone's house with a lot of electronics.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-02-05 18:14:02

Secret Santana

I'm pretty new to the game so it's hard for me to judge, but since I built it with my starter cash and I don't know how to make really complex traps I would say no there is not a lot.

I assume I will get the same behavior if I rob house, but only seen while watching tapes so far, so not a huge deal.  I'm more just curious.

#4 2014-02-05 18:19:20

jere

I've noticed the game seems to be pretty slow lately. I don't understand that because it shouldn't be waiting on the server or anything.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#5 2014-02-06 07:58:47

DaVinci

jere wrote:

I've noticed the game seems to be pretty slow lately. I don't understand that because it shouldn't be waiting on the server or anything.

How the phuck would server create client-based lag and make the window not respond?

#6 2014-02-06 08:05:25

jere

It shouldn't. That was my point.

Of course, I also never understood how a bad connection in Civ V brings the game to its knees.... it's a turn based game.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#7 2014-02-06 09:10:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, this sounds really strange to me!

Nothing has changed that should cause this.

I wonder... maybe something with your hard drive?  Every frame, the game writes out to disk as it records your game.  So, if something is screwed up with your hard drive (caching slow, or disk filling up, or something), then these write operations could become slow.

Maybe turn off recordGame.ini in the settings folder and see if that helps.

Board footer