The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-05 22:05:50

iceman
Website

[BUG] Taking Screenshot resets Family

I had a replay where a robber killed my wife and left (standard starter house).  On the last step, after the robber had left the house, I took a screenshot with + (hopefully you'll be able to see why very soon wink ).  Much to my surprise, my children teleported to their starting locations, in the middle of the robbery, after my son had already left the house.  My wife was left lying on the ground, though.

I tested it further, and it seems like this will happen every time a robber leaves your house (as opposed to reaching the safe).  When they've left, but before the tape ends, if you take a screenshot your family is reset to their starting positions.  Animals don't seem to be reset.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#2 2014-02-07 02:18:26

Drakol

Re: [BUG] Taking Screenshot resets Family

wow... I hope this gets fixed xD

#3 2014-02-07 05:15:20

DaVinci

So can this bug be exploited for anything?

#4 2014-02-07 10:37:20

iceman
Website

No, it's of absolutely no use, since it only happens when you're watching replays.  If you can find an profitable exploit to that, you have my respect =P

Also, I got the keys mixed up - it happens when you take Mapshots (+), not Screenshots(=)

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2014-02-16 17:56:27

meatfortress
Website

I would like to have a working screenshot button.  Going from room to room area to area, hitting F12 (Steam screenshot), every time I edit my house is getting tedious.

So a couple of questions to clarify.

Does this bug still exist?
(+) is a Mapshot?
(=) is a Screenshot?
What's the difference between a mapshot and a screenshot?

Last edited by meatfortress (2014-02-16 17:57:59)

#6 2014-02-16 18:04:15

colorfusion

meatfortress wrote:

I would like to have a working screenshot button.  Going from room to room area to area, hitting F12 (Steam screenshot), every time I edit my house is getting tedious.

So a couple of questions to clarify.

Does this bug still exist?
(+) is a Mapshot?
(=) is a Screenshot?
What's the difference between a mapshot and a screenshot?

Screenshot is exactly what you see on screen, like this:
gccw.png

Mapshot is an entire render of your house, like this:
g7u4.png

Both of those keys work fine for me, and they're really useful. Although mapshots will only work in build mode. The bug discussed in this thread is pretty much just visual and won't cause any problems, not sure if it's fixed yet though.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-16 18:26:16)

#7 2014-02-16 18:11:58

iceman
Website

Like colorfusion said, both are still working fine.  If you're not finding your mapshots, remember that they're saved in a mapshot folder, not the screenshots one.

I'm fairly sure the bug has been fixed, though.  This is the part in the changelog that I think is about it:

Jason Rohrer wrote:

--Fixed invisible objects in saved map shots ('+' key) from tape playback page.

Colorfusion, there... uh... doesn't actually seem to be any images that you're referring to?

Last edited by iceman (2014-02-16 18:12:34)

#8 2014-02-16 18:15:26

meatfortress
Website

Great!  Thanks for the quick replies!

EDIT:
Mapshot works like a charm.  House is still intact and the image was saved as a targa in the following folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\CastleDoctrine\mapShots

Also, it seems like I've misread the initial post.  I didn't notice that the bug happened if you took a mapshot (+) while viewing tapes.  But as iceman said, the bug has (probably) been fixed.

Last edited by meatfortress (2014-02-17 00:38:02)

#9 2014-02-16 18:26:20

colorfusion

iceman wrote:

Colorfusion, there... uh... doesn't actually seem to be any images that you're referring to?

Woops, I got distracted while waiting for the images to upload, then when I came back I forgot and submitted the post. I blame Imgur for being so slow recently.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-16 18:28:34)

#10 2014-02-16 19:01:09

iceman
Website

meatfortress wrote:

Great!  Thanks for the quick replies!

EDIT:
Mapshot works like a charm.  House is still intact and the image was saved as a targa in the following folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\CastleDoctrine\mapShots

Also, it seems like I've misread the initial post.  I didn't notice that the bug happened if you took a mapshot (+) while viewing tapes.  But as iceman said, the bug has (probably) been fixed.

Glad to hear that!

Also, I've tested it, and it seems like the bug actually hasn't been fixed.

Board footer