The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-21 02:34:34

MMaster

[DISABLED] Free community server (with self registration)

As of 5/26/2014 free community server was disabled.

I'm sorry to all friendly intelligent people from community, but I no longer feel attached to this community as it is now. I refuse to spend my own money to support it anymore.

Thanks to everyone who helped new players, who tried to get this community to grow and explain honestly why some things are the way they are. Unfortunately populism is much better than honesty and there are now people in this community that apparently can't read properly, blame others for their mistakes and don't understand the point of the game. Some of them make me wish I have never registered on the forums.

Thanks to joshwithguitar, jere, Blip, colorfusion, iceman, Cylence, Lord0fHam, eppfel, mala and others that came to play the game and have fun instead of blaming others for their incompetence. You are the kind of people that this game needs. Thanks for all your effort making the game more accessible for people and making it more fun and interesting.

Special thanks to Jason for this awesome game, for considering suggestions, for being honest with people and for supporting this game even while he works on his next project. Kudos for making the game open-source that allowed me to make this server. Good luck with your next projects!

Regards,
self justifying asshole MMaster

====

Hi everyone,

I've read some talks about people wanting some kind of server for possible modding / testing. I have made such server for all of you. I want it to be completely free for community. Anyone can contribute, we can try some mods, some price changes, anything that the community would like to try. Maybe we can have some kind of polls to vote what do we want to do on the server.

It's completely free for everyone. I have put up simple register page so you can sign up by yourself. You can use your client without any modifications to connect.
This server currently does not provide client for you - you need original game client to play!

Updated to v35

You can get your download code with instructions how to connect to server here:

*removed*

Have fun testing your ideas!

PS: Please don't try to break it. It took me some time to set it up :-)

We have some new members - I didn't even think somebody would register that soon. Please let me know what to change on the server. I understand that few people don't have much fun there as there is nothing to do. I can make all the traps free so you can test your ideas. I can even make it so you don't lose your house when you die so you don't have to rebuild it every time. I'm not sure how people would like to use this server. Just throw some ideas at me.

60 active houses! We have several daily users!

I'm really happy about how the server goes. We have several daily users. Thanks to all of you that make this server alive smile

Current changes compared to main server:
- start money $5000
- house assets prices set to 0% (yes, everything is free!)
- chills and force ignores set to 1 hour
- house owners get salary $100 per hour + their wifes get $50 per hour

Your suggestions:
- higher start money (10000) - easy to do (~ 1 minute to change it on server)
- make everything free - making it just a sandbox server (~ easy change)
- make tools really expensive and house assets cheap so people can build whatever houses they can and robbers need to solve them (~ easy change)
- disable chills or make them shorter (~ easy change)
- not lose house after you die - harder to do (~ day to do it on server)

Game client modifications:
- disable shroud during robbery (so people can learn how other people make traps) (hard to do)
- enable blueprints (hard to do)
- limit on stack size for tools with multiple stacks of the same tool allowed. Limit per stack 8 or 10.

Last edited by MMaster (2014-05-26 06:54:12)

#2 2014-02-21 20:13:43

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: [DISABLED] Free community server (with self registration)

Wow!  Really great to see this happening.

#3 2014-02-21 23:57:55

monkey

woo everything is half price!

#4 2014-02-22 03:16:30

eppfel
Website

Hey, nice work! It is like having an additional game for free!

First: your instructions state that you have to delete your password and email settings, but you can replace their contents as well. It worked for me.

For the gameplay I would like to have a cruel testing sever: no chills, but maybe unlimited amount of money (or 50k as discussed in the other server thread). This server should not be about protecting your home, because it would lead to class systems as on the original server. An option to rebuild your house when it got robbed would be nice to accelerate testing even more.

Thanks again!

#5 2014-02-22 04:55:25

MMaster

Wow. We already have 7 active houses and 10 accounts. That is great! Regarding the no chills and making it easier for robbers. We can maybe do that, but currently there are not too many houses to rob so I have made the house assets prices 1/2 of the original game so it is easier to test your ideas, but still not too overpowered against robbers. As you have nothing to rob when you rob the 7 existing houses you would have nothing to build your house from. As we will have more people we can try to think about the balance.
We can tune it eventually. Leaving you your house after you die seem to me like a good thing for testing - I will try to do it today.

Jason - I'm happy that you like this smile Would you mind if we would use this forum for discussion around this server? All the community around TCD is here so I don't currently see the reason to create new forum for 10 people :-)

Also is there some option to create polls here? I would gather ideas and then create polls as I'm sure there will be lot of ideas that can't work together so I want to let people decide what do they want.

#6 2014-02-22 05:57:26

Archonn

Could you let robbers see the whole house?

#7 2014-02-22 06:12:16

MMaster

Archonn wrote:

Could you let robbers see the whole house?

That's an interesting idea - people would be able to see how things are connected and learn from that. I think it is not possible to do server side - we would need modified game client for everyone.

#8 2014-02-22 06:27:36

Archonn

I think more starting money (say $10000) and seeing the whole map would be good. I dont know what a modified client would involve. Is it possible?

I can't imagine how it would work, but it was in a previous version

Last edited by Archonn (2014-02-22 06:39:43)

#9 2014-02-22 06:50:21

MMaster

Archonn wrote:

I think more starting money (say $10000) and no fog would be good. I dont know what a modified client would involve. Is it possible?

I can't imagine how it would work, but it was in a previous version

I can set the starting money to be higher, but that will also mean that robbers will have 10000 worth of tools from the beginning. I'm not sure whether that would help when people want to test some houses (I see houses that have words like PLEASE to not rob them). But we can try it.

Modified client would mean that the server would not be available for the original game client that you have and you would need to download special game client. And not only you but everyone that wants to play on this server. I'm sure we will eventually modify the client when people will want some kind of modifications, but now the server is just starting and I don't want to make it hard for people to get into the game. We can add it to the list of possible modifications and let people vote.

So the first ideas are:
- higher start money (10000) - easy to do (~ 1 minute to change it on server)
- not lose house after you die - harder to do (~ day to do it on server)
- modify game to disable shroud during robbery (so people can learn how other people make traps) (hardest thing to do)

#10 2014-02-22 06:59:08

Archonn

I can see 'no shroud' and 'view the whole map' as 2 different ideas. With no shroud, you'd be able to see the other side of walls. Whereas with 'view the whole map' you'd see the whole thing, without actually having to walk there.

I also suggested more starting money because I thought that a $2000 house would be incredibly easy to solve if you could see the whole thing.

But I agree, since theres only 5 houses there, we need to make it easy to join.

Also congrats, you found my house smile

Edit: Oh wow it worked. 5 robberies, and none stole from me. One even committed suicide (though, without reading the message)

Last edited by Archonn (2014-02-22 07:01:55)

#11 2014-02-22 07:10:35

MMaster

Archonn wrote:

I can see 'no shroud' and 'view the whole map' as 2 different ideas. With no shroud, you'd be able to see the other side of walls. Whereas with 'view the whole map' you'd see the whole thing, without actually having to walk there.

I also suggested more starting money because I thought that a $2000 house would be incredibly easy to solve if you could see the whole thing.

But I agree, since theres only 5 houses there, we need to make it easy to join.

Also congrats, you found my house smile

Edit: Oh wow it worked. 5 robberies, and none stole from me. One even committed suicide (though, without reading the message)

Oh right - now I understand - you mean blueprints. I'm not sure but I think even those need modifications on client side as they were disabled by Jason and I believe it cannot be changed server side.

#12 2014-02-22 07:17:47

Archonn

Fair enough, lets think of some easier ideas smile

Also, I just saw someone had drawn Mario using lights and wires. Well done smile

#13 2014-02-22 07:22:18

colorfusion

Pretty awesome server. As an extreme idea, perhaps put starting money pretty much as high as it will go, and then have all tools just over that amount, effectively creating a sandbox server where you can build what you want and have people solve it.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-22 07:23:06)

#14 2014-02-22 07:27:42

MMaster

colorfusion wrote:

Pretty awesome server. As an extreme idea, perhaps put starting money pretty much as high as it will go, and then have all tools just over that amount, effectively creating a sandbox server where you can build what you want and have people solve it.

We can also make everything free. That way it will really be just sandbox server as there would be no reason to rob somebody for money. Only to try to solve his traps and learn from them.

#15 2014-02-22 07:27:50

Archonn

You mean kind of like disabling tools (if by making them over priced)?

I think we'd need to disable chills too.

#16 2014-02-22 07:34:34

MMaster

Great ideas here. I will keep tracking them in first post.

#17 2014-02-22 07:37:37

MMaster

Archonn wrote:

Fair enough, lets think of some easier ideas smile

Also, I just saw someone had drawn Mario using lights and wires. Well done smile

I saw that one too. Really nice.

#18 2014-02-22 09:53:58

iceman
Website

MMaster wrote:

Also is there some option to create polls here? I would gather ideas and then create polls as I'm sure there will be lot of ideas that can't work together so I want to let people decide what do they want.

I don't think there's an option on the forums, but I've used strawpolls before and they seem to work pretty well.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#19 2014-02-22 10:06:59

MMaster

iceman wrote:
MMaster wrote:

I don't think there's an option on the forums, but I've used strawpolls before and they seem to work pretty well.

I looked at strawpolls and it looks perfect! Thanks for suggestion :-)

#20 2014-02-22 11:12:46

BoxDrunken

I can't get it to loggin? I followed all the instructions i do believe yet i can't seem to get it to work. im a  noob sigh.

#21 2014-02-22 11:24:13

MMaster

BoxDrunken wrote:

I can't get it to loggin? I followed all the instructions i do believe yet i can't seem to get it to work. im a  noob sigh.

I'm not sure what you've done wrong. The instructions are exact and if you followed them step by step it should work.

You take the reflectorUrl written on the page when you registered and put it into your reflectorUrl.ini file under settings folder in your game folder (without the quotes).
Then you backup downloadCode.ini and email.ini somewhere and delete them from settings folder.
Run the game and enter the email that you entered in registration form and download code that you saw on the registration page.

This is as easy as possible. If you can't get it to work please write exact steps that you do as you do them and we will try to figure out the problem.

#22 2014-02-22 11:33:11

BoxDrunken

hrmm Ill try again

#23 2014-02-22 11:38:39

MMaster

Here is the reflectorURL.ini file needed to connect to community server:
http://tcd.bitbix.com:8023/reflector/reflectorURL.ini
(right-click -> save link as).

Put this into your game folder/settings/
and don't forget to remove the downloadCode.ini and email.ini.

It should work after that.

EDIT: I see in the logs that you entered wrong download code or you are using modified client. Make sure that you use latest version of original game client that you use to connect to main server (you can copy the directory to have separate client for main server and separate for community server).

Last edited by MMaster (2014-02-22 11:53:46)

#24 2014-02-22 13:39:12

Jabloko

Can I play both on the main server and this one?

#25 2014-02-22 13:45:53

iceman
Website

Jabloko wrote:

Can I play both on the main server and this one?

Yep!  The easiest way is probably to make a copy of the CastleDoctrine folder, rename it "Server 2" or something, and then change the reflector.ini file.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer