The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-02 18:26:15

mala

My first complete house

Good bye Joseph Mattew McGuire, you've been the first serious character i've had in this game... i'll miss you...

Here we go, i've got impatient and i died like an idiot while scouting a 20k house without tools big_smile

here's what i left behind, my first "first page house"

i don't have the very first house scheme, but i have some saved projects that show the evolution of the house.

1: http://castledraft.com/editor/48508P

2: http://castledraft.com/editor/m2PpOp

and the final version: http://castledraft.com/editor/IlWbtD

i'd like to know what do you think about the design and what may be the leaks inside (i've never had a real threat, nothing more than 2k robbers).

What can i do to make it better next time?

Last edited by mala (2014-03-03 18:50:20)

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#2 2014-03-02 19:29:46

Vegeta9001

Re: My first complete house

Rest in Pieces Joseph Mattew McGuire...

#3 2014-03-02 23:00:02

Jkesler22

Better than dying to your own traps like I just did...

#4 2014-03-03 00:23:17

Vegeta9001

I always end up dying to my own trap it's pretty much how I always die since I never rop other people house...

#5 2014-03-07 22:17:10

mala

i've tried to make it so that you have to pass each area, wiring so that if you cut something you have to force the whole room.

if you cut trough the middle you cut the power needed to keep the dogs away and open the pits.

Since it's my first complete house it's a sort of patchwork, own ideas, forum ideas, tutorial ideas and so on, i'd like to work on something more organic and harder to force next time.

any thought to share?

Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#6 2014-03-07 23:06:31

LiteS

Thoughts shared.
PccjjZe.png

#7 2014-03-08 08:45:49

mala

ty lites

Green: if you cut the wall you won't be getting power for the pit

Red: Yes, all the dogs see you from the button

Blue: The cat on the right side is my first try in making a checkpoint (if the pit is powered you can be seen by the cat that will shut the floor, once inside if you go below a certain tile. the cat will power on again the switch buttons are there to make you walk up and down the hall while figuring out what they may be)

The upper part of the house it's pretty messed up, i had plenty of money, little space,and no time to plan ahead so... yeah... it pretty much sucks.

Next time i think i'll go for fewer traps, thicker walls, and i'll try to plan ahead to avoid the same mistakes.

#8 2014-03-08 10:19:13

Blip

This is decently secure; a reasonable robber looking to brute-force would have to spend a minimum of $5,200 to reach you vault by traveling along the expected path, like this.

A lucky robber, or one absolutely set on bruteforcing, however, could get through for only $3200.

What I would recommend changing:

• Don't use massive amounts of powered electric floors. Bypassing those is too easy for brute-forcers. At the very least, hook them up to a magic dance, so they get powered sometime after the robber steps onto them; at the most, use a clocks and have your robber traverse a floor of alternating electric floors and trapdoors - also hooked up to a magic dance that will kill them if they make the wrong move.

• Don't let bypassing the electric floor section make the rest of the trap less deadly. In this case, if somebody waters over the floors, the dogs are no longer a threat; they aren't waiting behind that door to kill you instantly, because they haven't aggro'ed yet. It would be better to find a way to make them see you no matter what.

• I disagree with LiteS on your late Chihuahua trap. Many a well-armed bruteforcer has died from a trap like that; the dumb ones barrel in and cut the wrong floor (the one behind them - they want to escape!), the ones who think they're smart cut the first wall (and die), and the lucky ones cut behind them to live. Rarely are players smart enough to disable the trap by cutting the electric floor connected to the powered wall.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

Board footer