The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-08 09:33:18

TheRealCheese

This is getting ridiculous

First visitor in my new 2k house with only 238 left over to lure people in, as to not bring too much attention, is some jerk with 2k in tools. This is getting too much, I can't seem to get over the starting hump and 75% of the time it's someone with more tools than my house is worth coming in to wreck it. *deep sad sigh*

#2 2014-03-08 09:38:36

JoyOfTrapping

Re: This is getting ridiculous

238... Do you have a picture of the house?

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#3 2014-03-08 09:43:59

TheRealCheese

How do I take a picture of the whole map like people do? And it's not a very effective house, I am aware of that, but it was made for people with no tools, as I have time to sit at the computer and update it as I earn money so it was going to BECOME tool safe.

#4 2014-03-08 09:45:03

eppfel
Website

TheRealCheese wrote:

How do I take a picture of the whole map like people do? And it's not a very effective house, I am aware of that, but it was made for people with no tools, as I have time to sit at the computer and update it as I earn money so it was going to BECOME tool safe.

Press '+' and you get a mapshot in the according folder inside the game directory.

#5 2014-03-08 09:52:06

TheRealCheese

Hm where am I allowed to upload .tga files?

#6 2014-03-08 09:53:53

JoyOfTrapping

You can download gimp and convert it, or go to one of those odd sites like zamzar.com and convert the tga to another format and get a download link, then upload it with imgur and put here with the bbcode

Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#7 2014-03-08 09:59:34

TheRealCheese

Okay thanks both of you. Here's the map. Like I said, I am aware of the weaknesses, it's supposed to lure in someone -without- tools, the whole reason behind my complaining that someone brings their 2k to it. 2vttwl5.gif

#8 2014-03-08 10:19:27

JoyOfTrapping

Wowzers, a clocky-wocky!  I went on a bit of a spree last night (see recent Vindictive Robbers thread) but this wasn't me.  House seems reasonable in concept to me.  The only thing I would say I notice about many starter house builds is they pack in a lot of traps and then thin walls.  To be honest, on all of my starter houses, I invest heavily in the walls.  I will have 3-thick wooden walls in most places, and even 4 in the significant places.  Combined with a little deception and misdirection, this is actually what serves me best against 2k onslaughts, not my actual traps or the number of traps.  I would suggest to anyone working with 2k starter builds to try building something with a good shell and some confusion, rather than something with a strong trap in a small area with a flimsy shell.  Other than that, interesting house.

Edit: Also, I break a -lot- of starter houses.  The "good" trap/flimsy shell ones are almost always the easiest to break.  From seeing the overall layout, and/or poking around the outside of the shell, I can sense the vault's location and usually bust in there very quickly.  Builds as I describe above, similar to my own strategy, are the hardest.

Last edited by JoyOfTrapping (2014-03-08 10:21:56)

#9 2014-03-08 10:24:14

Blip

JoyOfTrapping wrote:

Wowzers, a clocky-wocky!  I went on a bit of a spree last night (see recent Vindictive Robbers thread) but this wasn't me.  House seems reasonable in concept to me.  The only thing I would say I notice about many starter house builds is they pack in a lot of traps and then thin walls.  To be honest, on all of my starter houses, I invest heavily in the walls.  I will have 3-thick wooden walls in most places, and even 4 in the significant places.  Combined with a little deception and misdirection, this is actually what serves me best against 2k onslaughts, not my actual traps or the number of traps.  I would suggest to anyone working with 2k starter builds to try building something with a good shell and some confusion, rather than something with a strong trap in a small area with a flimsy shell.  Other than that, interesting house.

I agree. I try to get a minimum of 2-think wooden walls, and, if possible, have steel around my safe. This is because traps are surprisingly hard to break if you can't see the whole map, and, even for a cheap starter house, if you build a simple, non-guessing-based trap, its much more likely that people will use tools to break through it rather than legitimately solving the trap.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#10 2014-03-08 10:24:23

Blackswimmer

TheRealCheese wrote:

First visitor in my new 2k house with only 238 left over to lure people in, as to not bring too much attention, is some jerk with 2k in tools. This is getting too much, I can't seem to get over the starting hump and 75% of the time it's someone with more tools than my house is worth coming in to wreck it. *deep sad sigh*

I'm having exactly the same problem. I can't get anywhere, because my house keeps getting wrecked by people with tools worth 4 times what they stand to gain from my house. Although, having said that, my house isn't anywhere near as nice as yours.

#11 2014-03-08 10:26:14

TheRealCheese

It's more of a concept house, I wanted to try out the clock-commitment trap that's at the beginning. People think they have done nothing to activate the door yet and that they can bail before doing it or disable whatever does it, but on their third step the door opens.

#12 2014-03-08 11:18:30

FreeLove

Just speaking for myself, I would never, ever, ever enter a house that has a powered door next to the entrance without tools. It's obviously a dog, and then if I was dumb (or broke) enough to go any further, it doesn't matter what triggers it, I just assume it will trigger, forcing me to try and figure out the house with no tools on the first guess (aka suicide).

That clock just as easily could be a cat you see when scrolling down that triggers a button that traps me, or a chihuahua, or a wife hitting the panic button, or a clock, or whatever it doesn't matter. Point is, if I walked into this house, I'd immediately leave, & wouldn't return unless I spent a measly $100 on meat (after which I'd scout until I found your family, and maybe come back with a club or a couple saws + water or whatever).

You need more ways to die, either via more traps, or by getting more mileage out of your current ones

I only post because I care <3

#13 2014-03-08 12:23:00

Vegeta9001

Since I stopped playing this game to make houses I love to robs new house than don't worth 2k, but I never steal the vault even if I get to it. (And I pretty much get to it 70% of the times.)

These dudes than only come in to destroy your house and kill your family are loser.

Personally, I always made my new houses hard enough to kill any 2k raging suicidal robbers and the only way for them to still steal my vault was to get *Very lucky*

The most important part is to *Make sure* your wife cannot be kill by 2k robbers how? You put at least 2 dogs in a long hallway to defend her or one dog and a shotgun for your wife, make sure the robber cannot simply club your dogs so you have to make sure than when the robber walk up to the dog he cannot come closer than 2 space of the dog if he can come close enough to club your dog then, you did it wrong and you need to replace the dog...

Of course your wife have to be out of sight and the only way for the robber to see her is to kill the dog with a gun wasting his only way to kill your wife if she have a shotgun since they cannot buy two guns.

Last edited by Vegeta9001 (2014-03-08 12:38:33)

#14 2014-03-08 12:32:00

Leveller

I used to have a door like that that leads down to the safe-location. Lured many away to the "other" way when it opened and they wasnt there.  tongue 

Also love the 3 cavities in the middle almost making a "homer face"   tongue

To the seriousness now. Like the previous guys said, make way thicker walls. Atleast 2-wide.   I often count that 2000$ robbers bring 2-4 saws and always try to make them waste them early.     Missguidance is also good.

#15 2014-03-08 14:17:25

TheRealCheese

Yeah I've gone away from this design for all the reasons you guys state here, but I knew my house was subpar, I was basically just testing out the viability of a clock in a starter house, and why this might not have been the best use of a clock in a starter house, the clock itself is cheap enough that you can use it for something worthwhile.
But my point of this post was not to have design criticism (though some of it I had not thought of, specifically the thicker walls thing, I thought deadlier traps were more important, but you make a good point JoT, so thanks for that) but rather I am getting sick of people spending their 2k starting money on tools and then wrecking my 300-700 worth house!

#16 2014-03-08 14:45:13

JoyOfTrapping

No problem RealCheese, I go on a lot of 2k viking rampages so the least I can do is reveal a little about what makes it easy for me to do so.

#17 2014-03-09 05:56:35

Amatiel

To everyone in this thread complaining about griefing:

If it bothers you that much, start your house only after a successful robbery with at least 5k to play with. Its not that hard to rob some of the higher value joints. Even if you start taking notes on a particular house after doing a suicide run, so you know what to bring in 24 hours time after chills wear off. I do this every time i start fresh, making my way down the list starting with highest value first, never failed me yet.

After doing this, i laugh at 2k robbers who bring nothing but guns and clubs as they just add to my wealth or leave empty handed.

The good thing about this game... is it's ALWAYS your fault. Yes. Its YOUR fault that you are silly enough to start with a 2k house and expect people not to massacre your family.
Play smarter, solve the problem

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#18 2014-03-09 06:12:19

mala

Amatiel wrote:

The good thing about this game... is it's ALWAYS your fault. Yes. Its YOUR fault that you are silly enough to start with a 2k house and expect people not to massacre your family.

no, it's not, here's your starting 4.5k house, and here is what happened 5mn later

cwqNdYm.png

he came with almost 10k tools, do you have a solution to that?

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#19 2014-03-09 06:29:52

Amatiel

mala wrote:
Amatiel wrote:

I see lotsa saws water and drugged meat. A smart 10K (or even 7k) house should be able to handle that with correct placing of steel/concrete and pitbulls. What you have illustrated here is obviously a one in 5000 occurrence anyway, which sucks but can hardly be used as an example of the norm.

If it is happening a lot, then simply aim higher: Go for the 30K plus houses, take notes on em (especially the ones that have high numbers as they arent changed often) and hit them every time chills wear off. Do this for every house over 30k and guaranteed one will fall after 2-3 attempts. Most of the houses i knock over with starting tools are worth about 30k.

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#20 2014-03-09 06:33:16

MMaster

mala wrote:

no, it's not, here's your starting 4.5k house, and here is what happened 5mn later

Sure - laugh at him as he just lost money :-)

One suggestion - never get too attached to your house. This game is about building houses and robbing. You will always lose your house no matter what. If robber used more tools than there was in vault - you won the game and he lost.

Board footer