The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-03-23 12:21:34

Lord0fHam

Re: Fortress Theory Mod - Version 3

LiteS what's your email that you want to use for it? I'll do it for you.

It's a trap!

#77 2014-03-23 13:12:32

iceman
Website

LiteS wrote:
iceman wrote:
LiteS wrote:

Iceman, when I say it's not working, I mean I get a 404 or timeout error on this link http://massivedoctrinereflector.webuda. … Ticket.php

Huh, I have no idea. It's working fine for me.  Does it always not work, or just sometimes?

Always not working. I've tried multiple browsers, tried for a few days now. Could you send me an email to get me an account?

Yeah, just send me an email at iceman76tv@gmail.com, and I'll send you a download code for that email.

Glad you guys are having fun!  I'm a bit sad about the griefing, though.  Hopefully the cheaper prices will help defend against that, but I do want to ask everyone to not destroy houses with the only purpose of wrecking them.

Also, I now finally have the opportunity to build something on my own server (without god-mode active, although I'm tempted wink), so I'm pretty excited!
EDIT: I now have a 2k house built and notes ready for the 2 other houses big_smile

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-23 13:58:54)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#78 2014-03-23 13:56:49

Archonn

I like the idea of the robot mouse changing between cat and chihuaua depending on if it's powered. It's a bit boring as is.

#79 2014-03-23 14:10:32

Lord0fHam

Archonn wrote:

I like the idea of the robot mouse changing between cat and chihuaua depending on if it's powered. It's a bit boring as is.

It's a trap!

#80 2014-03-23 17:15:20

iceman
Website

Just added the first update!  It's all graphical stuff, so you can keep using the old version if you'd like.  The biggest thing I fixed was a bug where a rusted C.A.D. would be drawn behind a wall, instead of in front of it, making it very hard to see it (not to mention impossible to tell by sight if it was powered or not).  Download link is on the main page, or right here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fortre … t/download

Mac users, I should have this version for you tomorrow.  I now have a way to build the game myself, but I don't have access to it today.  All of your future updates will be the same time as the Windows; I just wanted to get this out today, and since there weren't mechanical changes, you can still play fine.  Just be sure to mouse over rusted C.A.D. legs to see if it's powered or not until then wink

Also, 6 houses on the server!

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#81 2014-03-23 17:48:57

Blip

Yay, update! Glad about that C.A.D. fix, I just died to exactly that. Just wondering, what does C.A.D stand for?

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#82 2014-03-23 17:55:15

Kimenzar

gyuri wrote:
iceman wrote:

Richard Jean Ragan has 24 paintings... will no-one take him down?!?!

Believe me, I tried. Whenever I made a nearly successful run, he changed his house. I've been real close once, but now it's impossible with 2k.

StefanLindskog wrote:

I've been completely cleaned out by guys with 2K worth of tools several times now.

It's a new mod with some new mechanics, people have to play and try out things. If you quit, the player base will be even smaller and the game will be more boring.

I've hardly ever had so much fun with CD as yesterday evening on FT with only Kimenzar and me playing. I hope he had fun too ;-)

Yeah was really fun to defend against this big_smile

But my poor poor wife ._.'

iceman wrote:

Richard Jean Ragan has 24 paintings... will no-one take him down?!?!

Aha that's my name big_smile
The paintings were all on 1k so I thought i buy the best out of the auction x)

#83 2014-03-23 17:56:35

Lord0fHam

I got really close to robbing you yesterday Kimenzar. But you were playing and you changed your house the second after I left smile

It's a trap!

#84 2014-03-23 17:59:05

Kimenzar

Blip wrote:

Yay, update! Glad about that C.A.D. fix, I just died to exactly that. Just wondering, what does C.A.D stand for?

Creator of Automated Destruction as it stand in the changelog big_smile

Lord0fHam wrote:

I got really close to robbing you yesterday Kimenzar. But you were playing and you changed your house the second after I left

Yeah you two came really close to my vault only to fall into my precious trap big_smile

Edit: Maybe tomorrow i will attempt a bigger assault on ichabod neutral

Last edited by Kimenzar (2014-03-23 18:12:55)

#85 2014-03-23 19:17:48

iceman
Website

I was working at your house, but I got some roots down, so I've stopped for the time being.  I'll be back when the roots are strong enough to support scouting tools wink

Did someone just wipe through the neighborhood?  It seems like a bunch of houses have a lot less money than before.

Good luck with Ichabod.  I think the most someone's gotten in so far is 17 saws, so bring about 10 times that many wink

#86 2014-03-23 19:48:14

GotABigTrap

so far it is interesting.  I don't quite understand the mechancis but, I found a complete undefended house with 4k earlier and a painting.. sory whoever you are.  Anyways, I didn't have much time so I built a big combo lock that controlled the power to a hallway that led to the vault and filled it with CADS.  It was pretty hilarious because the value went up to 9k before somebody sawed their way to the combination and stole it all by the time I got home.

#87 2014-03-23 23:07:32

shlam16

iceman wrote:

I was working at your house, but I got some roots down, so I've stopped for the time being.  I'll be back when the roots are strong enough to support scouting tools wink

Did someone just wipe through the neighborhood?  It seems like a bunch of houses have a lot less money than before.

Good luck with Ichabod.  I think the most someone's gotten in so far is 17 saws, so bring about 10 times that many wink

IS there even a vault? Or is the entire house just a giant troll.

#88 2014-03-24 00:12:04

Kimenzar

GotABigTrap wrote:

so far it is interesting.  I don't quite understand the mechancis but, I found a complete undefended house with 4k earlier and a painting.. sory whoever you are.  Anyways, I didn't have much time so I built a big combo lock that controlled the power to a hallway that led to the vault and filled it with CADS.  It was pretty hilarious because the value went up to 9k before somebody sawed their way to the combination and stole it all by the time I got home.

It was an interesting house, and I could have get your money cheaper but I feared a after trap there all CADs turn on if I see a cat or so big_smile And one run I forgot to put the lock >.> 2k water for nothing

#89 2014-03-24 00:34:34

TheNinja

The SDL.dll is appearing after i am trying to launch the game. After i downloaded the dll and placed it into the game dir some other error appeared: SDL_EnableKeyRepeat
Any solution?

If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.
-Jeffrey R. Murphy
Find me on steam NinjaStylle

#90 2014-03-24 01:03:55

42dustman

TheNinja wrote:

The SDL.dll is appearing after i am trying to launch the game. After i downloaded the dll and placed it into the game dir some other error appeared: SDL_EnableKeyRepeat
Any solution?

I copied the one from the vanilla game into the mod folder and it worked fine.

Self-testing is torture.

#91 2014-03-24 01:19:13

PsyBlade

StefanLindskog wrote:

I would understand it if I had, say 2400. I don't. This kind of griefing will only make me stop playing FT. We are a very small player base as it is, so please stop it.

That's exactly what they want. People complaining, quitting, being angry, etc. That's why they are called grievers. And what they are doing is obviously working. So why should they stop now.

They will only stop when they no longer get what they want.
Or if we make them stop. Jason apparently wasn't interested in doing so. But this is another chance.

I propose limiting robberies to houses with paintings or a value higher than the combined sell value of the tools you are carrying. They could be filtered ot of the list or show a message similar to the chills "This house dosn't seem to be worth the effort".

Probably not enough but at least a good start.

#92 2014-03-24 01:47:07

42dustman

PsyBlade wrote:
StefanLindskog wrote:

I would understand it if I had, say 2400. I don't. This kind of griefing will only make me stop playing FT. We are a very small player base as it is, so please stop it.

That's exactly what they want. People complaining, quitting, being angry, etc. That's why they are called grievers. And what they are doing is obviously working. So why should they stop now.

They will only stop when they no longer get what they want.
Or if we make them stop. Jason apparently wasn't interested in doing so. But this is another chance.

I propose limiting robberies to houses with paintings or a value higher than the combined sell value of the tools you are carrying. They could be filtered ot of the list or show a message similar to the chills "This house dosn't seem to be worth the effort".

Probably not enough but at least a good start.

But then the small houses would stagnate. I have tried to mitigate this whole thing by making houses where only the wife is protected to see if some people would exploit the short chills by suiciding with 5 saws in it and coming back 5 minutes later to gather the money and try build sustainable houses, some robbers actually had some funny interactions with it, but overall it seems like pretty much everyone is just burning money trying to raid the dog house or something.

In my opinion the best solution for this situation would be to make house objects even cheaper, 1/4 of the original price would be ideal.

And I also think that a thing that could stop any possible griefers would be to make suicide inside your own home impossible, even by self testing.

Self-testing is torture.

#93 2014-03-24 03:04:44

shlam16

Seems like Kenneth Michael Clifton knocked off Ichabod. New top dog.

#94 2014-03-24 06:25:09

PsyBlade

42dustman wrote:

But then the small houses would stagnate.

I don't think most houses worth less than 1k can withstand a griever. Let alone kill him.
But with DB access that's easy enough to figure out.

#95 2014-03-24 06:50:39

iceman
Website

How bad is the grieving?  I'm past a starter house, so they don't seem to be targeting me (at least not successfully).  I'm a bit hesitant to reduce house prices further, since that has already pushed the balance toward builders quite a bit.  I'm trying to think of a way to have a starting "house loan", which would help people withstand grievers while not helping top-level houses as much.

I don't think stopping suicide in your house would work - they'd just grieve one house, then suicide in it, and move on to the next.

TheNinja wrote:

Any solution?

What 42Dustman said should work, but this shouldn't be happening with version 2.  Have you downloaded the new update yet?

shlam16 wrote:

Seems like Kenneth Michael Clifton knocked off Ichabod. New top dog.

Yep- and then he seems to have died quietly in his house.  I'm not sure who "NO" is, but if you're reading this, what gave you the idea to go up instead of down?

Kimenzar wrote:

I think there is a bug with the poison gas:

http://castledraft.com/editor/bxKkcN

It turned on instantly for one of my robbers(after he saw and step), maybe it can conduct electricity and turn itself on cause it get power on the adjadent cable.

Kimenzar, I built this exact configuration, and it worked fine.  Not sure what you saw, but it seems to be working.

EDIT: Also, who doesn't like vultures? XD

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-24 07:00:48)

#96 2014-03-24 07:03:14

shlam16

http://i.imgur.com/hNuqxbD.png

This is easily my favourite new trap mechanic in Fortress Theory. Trust me, that one move where you can see which ones are the deadly gas and which aren't is not enough to prevent confusion, I died in a self test with a smaller setup than this, just because I got confused and lost my place. The use of vision obscurers such as powered windows/doors is also perfectly matched for this, preventing them seeing the whole puzzle at once and screen capturing if they are smart enough. Just adds that extra layer of confusion. Love it, where did you come up with the idea for gas iceman?

For anyone looking for this house, it doesn't exist, it is just a demonstration I threw together.

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-03-24 07:06:46)

#97 2014-03-24 07:21:04

Kimenzar

iceman wrote:
Kimenzar wrote:

I think there is a bug with the poison gas:

http://castledraft.com/editor/bxKkcN

It turned on instantly for one of my robbers(after he saw and step), maybe it can conduct electricity and turn itself on cause it get power on the adjadent cable.

Kimenzar, I built this exact configuration, and it worked fine.  Not sure what you saw, but it seems to be working.

Yeah I checked my tape again, there was power from somewhere else, so sorry for the false alarm.

#98 2014-03-24 07:53:09

iceman
Website

Note to self: If you remove a dog to test your house, be sure that dog won't be waiting somewhere for you when you replace him and self-test sad I liked that house...
Well, now I can experience the grieving =P

*whisper*You have no idea how tempting it is to bring back my house from the grave...*whisper*

shlam16 wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/hNuqxbD.png

This is easily my favourite new trap mechanic in Fortress Theory. Trust me, that one move where you can see which ones are the deadly gas and which aren't is not enough to prevent confusion, I died in a self test with a smaller setup than this, just because I got confused and lost my place. The use of vision obscurers such as powered windows/doors is also perfectly matched for this, preventing them seeing the whole puzzle at once and screen capturing if they are smart enough. Just adds that extra layer of confusion. Love it, where did you come up with the idea for gas iceman?

For anyone looking for this house, it doesn't exist, it is just a demonstration I threw together.

Hahaha, that's great!  If you added a sticky switch that powered the whole thing on the first step (along with a latch, so they don't cut the wire), there wouldn't even be any room for confusion!

I thought it would be interesting to steal the wife's "deadlyAdjacent" mechanic and let you use it more throughout your house, and gas was the natural idea for something that kills you when you're beside it.  Then, I was also interested in having two nearly identical traps that behaved a bit differently, to (hopefully) have interesting mind games and bluffs going on.

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-24 07:57:05)

#99 2014-03-24 07:58:25

gyuri

Iceman, could we have a look at Ichabod's house or maybe the tape where he gets robbed?

#100 2014-03-24 08:36:52

iceman
Website

gyuri wrote:

Iceman, could we have a look at Ichabod's house or maybe the tape where he gets robbed?

Sure- in fact, here's some of my favorite tapes, telling an escalating story of violence, destruction, and death!
http://www.twitch.tv/theiceman76/b/513895078

The final robbery starts out at 4:30, but the rest are fun to watch.  Paige managed to dig in the one place the prize chihuahua would be, and I don't think we should tell Perkins that he could've made it if he blasted the wooden wall wink

And here's Ichabod's house:
http://castledraft.com/editor/Wg2KKF

Board footer