The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#101 2014-03-24 13:34:34

Blip

Re: Fortress Theory Mod - Version 3

I've really been liking the mechanic where C.A.D's can walk over activated electric floors. It means that you can have them follow you past a doggie commit gate (power, button, grid, trapdoor) without them dying! My current house is mostly a large commit gate right now, followed by some other stuff hidden behind it. It's pretty secure, but I haven't had many serious attempts yet. The weakness it has is pretty surprising; in building it to counter tool use, the later part seems to be pretty vulnerable to a tool that might seem useless at first...

Also, I was wondering, what's the purpose of the cardboard box? Does it act as a wall to block animal movement? What are the advantages to hiding in it?

And I'd like to mention something that may be a bug: mousing over a poison gas/smoke emitter before it's on tells you which one it is. Is that intentional, or not? For example, in the current top house, I know that the gas is poison gas because I moused over the emitter before the gas was formed.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#102 2014-03-24 15:13:37

GotABigTrap

made a house this morning and its still there!

#103 2014-03-24 15:47:50

iceman
Website

I seem to have run into trouble building the Mac version.  Frosty, would you be willing to build the game just one more time?  I think I've learned my lesson about releasing different versions at different times...

Blip wrote:

Also, I was wondering, what's the purpose of the cardboard box? Does it act as a wall to block animal movement? What are the advantages to hiding in it?

And I'd like to mention something that may be a bug: mousing over a poison gas/smoke emitter before it's on tells you which one it is. Is that intentional, or not? For example, in the current top house, I know that the gas is poison gas because I moused over the emitter before the gas was formed.

It lets you play around with vision, since when you're in it, nothing can see you.  You can be hidden when the screen scrolls, letting you get 1 step closer to pets, or you can get past poorly constructed magic dances by getting past the "vision hallway" unseen.

The poison gas thing is a bug, and it should be fixed in v2 (as soon as I get it up for Macs).

Congrats, GotABigTrap!  Have fun holding onto it for as long as you can wink

EDIT: Awwwww, Kimenzar, did you just change the dance again?  I was building up a nice map of your house sad

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-24 16:14:29)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#104 2014-03-24 16:30:57

Blip

An individual known as Herbert Anthony Benham and clearly skilled with the new tools just nearly made his way to my vault, stopped only by my final trap. Was that you, iceman? If so, thanks for exposing a weakness in my house! It's fixed now, so you have to go through the commit gate correctly to get to the rest of the house. My weakness to another certain tool still remains, unfortunately.

Also, it seems that I have one of only three houses up right now! I wonder if Mr. Ragan (Kimenzar?) might give my house a go at some point; a nice high bounty and some tools might give me the cash to start my own art collection. Or I can just wait for regular bounties, as the foyers of my neighbors are far less inviting than mine.

#105 2014-03-24 16:36:18

iceman
Website

Did he practically waste 4 saws?  If so, that was me realizing I had completely messed up the spacing, and my desperate attempts at fixing it.  I want to check out your change, now...

EDIT: Ha!  Your new additions went a bit further than I thought =P As a reward for tricking me, have a saw and a brick wink And I felt so clever for doing that trick with the dog...

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-24 16:40:17)

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#106 2014-03-24 16:46:04

Blip

Yeah, I decided to prevent your dog shenanigans! I told you, you have to solve my house correctly now, or it won't work. And your cardboard box won't get you anywhere when it's blocking vision of something you need!

I'm surprised how well my house has held up under the scrutiny of multiple attempts by the mod's creator, especially when I just whipped this place up to see how the C.A.D worked. tongue

#107 2014-03-24 17:05:39

gyuri

Blip wrote:

so you have to go through the commit gate correctly to get to the rest of the house

Is there any chance I could see how he went through incorrectly? I'm currently experimenting with different ways to go through commit gates, even in the wrong direction...

#108 2014-03-24 17:14:42

Blip

I hope that wasn't you again, iceman. You trying my... um... "permutation-based entrapment button array" repeatedly until you get through isn't much fun for either of us. If so, what happened to chills? I though that they were 30 minutes now.

gyuri wrote:
Blip wrote:

so you have to go through the commit gate correctly to get to the rest of the house

Is there any chance I could see how he went through incorrectly? I'm currently experimenting with different ways to go through commit gates, even in the wrong direction...

He used one of my wife-protection dogs to get through a dog commit gate, instead of using the C.A.D. provided for that purpose. I don't see why he did it when he was just as trapped either way.

#109 2014-03-24 17:41:38

Kimenzar

Blip wrote:

An individual known as Herbert Anthony Benham and clearly skilled with the new tools just nearly made his way to my vault, stopped only by my final trap. Was that you, iceman? If so, thanks for exposing a weakness in my house! It's fixed now, so you have to go through the commit gate correctly to get to the rest of the house. My weakness to another certain tool still remains, unfortunately.

Also, it seems that I have one of only three houses up right now! I wonder if Mr. Ragan (Kimenzar?) might give my house a go at some point; a nice high bounty and some tools might give me the cash to start my own art collection. Or I can just wait for regular bounties, as the foyers of my neighbors are far less inviting than mine.

Problem is, that there is no house worth robbing for me =P

#110 2014-03-24 18:45:53

iceman
Website

Yeah, I used both of the new vision blocking tools to get by a commit gate unseen.  As for why I chose the dog- he had worked for me before, so I thought I could use him again.  When I realized the spacing was off, I ran out to save my life, then suddenly realized I could still use him for the next commit gate.  Plus, the first CAD couldn't see me, and the second was unpowered, so I couldn't have used either one.

But no, that wasn't me trying your combo lock permutation-based entrapment button array

EDIT: Kimenzar, I hope you appreciate all of the security flaws I've been showing you in your house, but I really hope you don't patch them until I finally reach your safe wink

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-24 21:33:19)

#111 2014-03-24 21:19:02

iceman
Website

Ok, it seems as if the 4 of us are at a standstill - we all have houses, so we don't want to rob others, and there doesn't seem to be any more nice suicide robbers.  I realize that 4 days after the mod released is a bit early, but I want to get feedback from everyone- those still playing, and those who've stopped.  What do you think would get you playing, and (more importantly) keep you playing?  Here's some stuff that I've been thinking about adding that could tempt people back into playing and staying:

1. New stuffs!
2. "House loan" - have $x that you can only use for building your house.
3. Save/load starter map

Which of those do you think would be most interesting, or do you have any other ideas? I'm probably going to do all of them, but I want to know where to focus my energy.

EDIT: Also, what do you guys think of me announcing it on steam?  I'm sure it will bring a few more people in, but I've hesitated this long because I feel like the Steam community is more likely to abuse things than this one is.

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-24 21:36:00)

#112 2014-03-24 21:33:22

GotABigTrap

personally I think more  people would check it out if they knew how cool it is.

#113 2014-03-25 00:50:32

Kimenzar

iceman wrote:

Yeah, I used both of the new vision blocking tools to get by a commit gate unseen.  As for why I chose the dog- he had worked for me before, so I thought I could use him again.  When I realized the spacing was off, I ran out to save my life, then suddenly realized I could still use him for the next commit gate.  Plus, the first CAD couldn't see me, and the second was unpowered, so I couldn't have used either one.

But no, that wasn't me trying your combo lock permutation-based entrapment button array

EDIT: Kimenzar, I hope you appreciate all of the security flaws I've been showing you in your house, but I really hope you don't patch them until I finally reach your safe wink

I just changed some things and put a new sector, but sadly after my validation I got an house check failed ...

Loan would help that houses reach a robable status after some time, more players would help too.

Cardboxes are useless, because you can defend against them pretty well. Either you make sight then the door opens, at the entrance or block it by just a cable on important points.

Last edited by Kimenzar (2014-03-25 01:34:56)

#114 2014-03-25 08:31:15

iceman
Website

Ouch.  Do you know if that was something on your end or on the server end?

I'm definitely planning on letting you use boxes and loose wires on wire tiles, and probably on panic buttons and shotguns as well.  I might end up letting you place boxes (maybe wires) on *any* walkable tile, but that will take quite a bit of time to do.  First comes the basic addition.  Still, it's probably a good idea to lower the price of the box, and maybe the wires.

Another interesting thing would be to only let pets see you after the first step, which would let you start out using a cardboard box.

#115 2014-03-25 09:10:50

Blip

Cool! I'm the richest guy now! Many thanks to the guys who gave me so many tools and bounties; I couldn't have done it without you. I'm actually shocked that I haven't been robbed yet, because people have been getting pretty far in my house. One robber actually got vision of my safe, then died about four tiles away.

#116 2014-03-25 09:13:29

gyuri

Yes, that was me. I'm still waiting for the chance to get the extra $600 and come back.

Edit: some of the tools and bounties might have been me too ;-)

Edit2: don't even think of changing your house!

Last edited by gyuri (2014-03-25 09:18:40)

#117 2014-03-25 09:23:44

iceman
Website

I just got 6k from a series of robbers big_smile One of them actually suicided next to my safe, so whoever did that, thanks tongue That security flaw has been fixed now

#118 2014-03-25 09:37:16

Kimenzar

iceman wrote:

Ouch.  Do you know if that was something on your end or on the server end?

I'm definitely planning on letting you use boxes and loose wires on wire tiles, and probably on panic buttons and shotguns as well.  I might end up letting you place boxes (maybe wires) on *any* walkable tile, but that will take quite a bit of time to do.  First comes the basic addition.  Still, it's probably a good idea to lower the price of the box, and maybe the wires.

Another interesting thing would be to only let pets see you after the first step, which would let you start out using a cardboard box.

I don't really know, i know that there was a disconnect in the validation. I sent the recordedFile to Jason, maybe it's something none-mod-related.

#119 2014-03-25 10:01:27

Blip

gyuri wrote:

Yes, that was me. I'm still waiting for the chance to get the extra $600 and come back.

Edit: some of the tools and bounties might have been me too ;-)

Edit2: don't even think of changing your house!

The house is definitely still the same! wink

#120 2014-03-25 10:22:00

iceman
Website

Kimenzar wrote:

I don't really know, i know that there was a disconnect in the validation. I sent the recordedFile to Jason, maybe it's something none-mod-related.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the free server I'm using.  I felt a bit bad, so I did a little digging and found your map on the server.  I can give it back to you, although with no paintings or money, if you'd like.  Just be warned that I already had practically the whole thing mapped out tongue

#121 2014-03-25 10:39:43

42dustman

6z7Ybi7.png

The first documented case of communication inside Castle Doctrine! I shall make a special painting to commemorate this milestone! big_smile

Self-testing is torture.

#122 2014-03-25 10:44:54

iceman
Website

42dustman wrote:

The first documented case of communication inside Castle Doctrine! I shall make a special painting to commemorate this milestone! big_smile

Aha!!! I finally learned who you are! big_smile  But really, that's pretty much the only reason I've put in paint buckets tongue

#123 2014-03-25 11:07:27

gyuri

Blip wrote:

The house is definitely still the same! wink

Yes, I see you haven't changed the outer walls.

I think I should get a 'Thank you' for raising the economy and allowing you guys to build some nice houses. I'm sure I have by far the most deaths on FT at this moment (and maybe the most vault reaches as well, but never in a top house).

#124 2014-03-25 11:18:11

Kimenzar

iceman wrote:
Kimenzar wrote:

I'm guessing it's something to do with the free server I'm using.  I felt a bit bad, so I did a little digging and found your map on the server.  I can give it back to you, although with no paintings or money, if you'd like.  Just be warned that I already had practically the whole thing mapped out tongue

I changed the map anyway, see recorded file log in your mail tongue

But if possible, you could give me 40-50k startmoney. I think thats less what's my house was worth+money, but enough to do some cool stuff.

#125 2014-03-25 11:36:15

Blip

I just bought Time!

Board footer