The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-24 10:46:36

Phillip Fritz

John Lewis Noonan -- Hacker, Bot, Top House, Game Killer? ? ? ?

So over the past week I have been able to come back during the nights/morns and have played here and there.  I used to play a lot.. came back like I always do smile

I noticed 2 things: 

1. The player base has dropped drastically.  and

2. I have just been messing around, 2k dives, getting an initial layout of a few houses for future visits.. etc.  I noticed something:  Every night I would log out with a fresh house for some new player to rob and use for their house.   The first time I did this, I noticed that I was robbed by John Lewis Noonan.. the TOP DOG who had around $100,000.00!   OK, no big deal, dude is greedy, i get it tongue.    BUT as I didn't have much time and was unable to successfully rob a $20k house(high hopes, i know lol), I would leave my $2k vanilla house for a noob to rob each night.. THIS IS WHERE THINGS GOT STRANGE..  I would get robbed by some random person, mission successful..  as we know, even if you have $0 in your house, you are still on the list while your browse for houses/view your tapes.  As I was viewing my tapes(with $0 in my house) every 2 days ON THE SPOT John Lewis Noonan would run on into my house(mind you, there is only a 1 minute window while i view a guy take 9 steps to my vault, then type his name to see how much his house is worth tongue).. anyway  Noonan would run into my houses and steal my empty vault.  He did this as i was viewing my tapes every other day and stole $0 form me 3 times in a row over 5-6 days. 

What the hell is going on here?  Does this Noonan guy have a bot running his guy into 0/0 houses and only walking to the vault if there is no danger??  Why would the top house rob houses worth $0 over and over (exact timing, by the way, and not to mention why is the top house looking at the $0 houses waiting to pounce like a cheetah?).  I mean, if he is going for $2k houses, robbing $0 houses will only put him on the timer for their next house which would have money.

Basically I wouldn't care about this scrub running a bot.. but if this kid is stealing all the $2k houses which, lets face it, the new players 100% need to get up and running(yeah, so 20% of new players can do w/out it, BUT WE WANT THE MOST PPL PLAYING THIS GAME.. plz don't argue with me just to argue smile  then this Noonan is single-handedly killing this game and I don't think he even knows it.  I think he likes the game and wants to play w/people.. so sad that he doesn't see that he is making it so he has all the money in a mass multi game where he will soon be the only player  sad.

Thoughts?  Did I miss something?  Love to discuss this like adults  tongue  or either way, I can tango  <3

P. F.

#2 2014-03-24 10:53:28

iceman
Website

Re: John Lewis Noonan -- Hacker, Bot, Top House, Game Killer? ? ? ?

That sounds like he's using a bot to increase his bounty.  He could just be wanting to be nice to whoever kills him, or he could be preparing a dual account suicide. sad

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-03-24 10:54:01

colorfusion

Does sound a bit strange, and it is likely possible to have a bot that steals fresh $2k's if it can see that the map is the starter map. He could just be an active player, and robbing low down houses to raise his bounty.

I think saying that he's single handedly killing the game is a bit much though.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-03-24 10:54:20)

#4 2014-03-24 11:03:54

Phillip Fritz

I see iceman.. well he has the top house so I doubt he is prepping his own death bounty  tongue.

Color -- He is not an active player, because, and I said this already, Why oh why would the $100,000.00 house spend time refreshing the WHOLE player base and not only look at $0 houses, but decide to enter them.. then decide to rob the worthless vault?

Color -- Would you say it is a bit much?  I took the time to state why I thought he was killing the game -- most new players and certainly new new players really get a huge boost from robbing a vanilla $2k house and in many cases keeps them playing the game if they can get a decent house up($4k is MUCH more then $2k).   When I started playing, I lived off those things.. especially once i had a house worth over 5k, I didn't want to blind rob someone and die!! haha

come on brotha, you need to remember when you started playing this game before you became superpro, ya know?   Some ppl have been around a while so it does get a bit harder to sympathize with the fresh bloods.  But we gotta think about the good of the game.. any new player who might have been interested.. would quickly quit if they can't get into any $2k houses. 

Don't you agree?  or do you think that fresh new players should be able to run into a $3k house and rob it and have a good time w/out practice(which you really get by building your own house after dying to other ppls traps and getting ideas for your home).

Sorry I don't mean to sound like I am being aggressive, I am interested in your opinion.. but please leave one aside from U don't think  wink   

<3 thx for the replies, guys!

Last edited by Phillip Fritz (2014-03-24 11:06:02)

#5 2014-03-24 11:16:21

colorfusion

Phillip Fritz wrote:

Color -- He is not an active player, because, and I said this already, Why oh why would the $100,000.00 house spend time refreshing the WHOLE player base and not only look at $0 houses, but decide to enter them.. then decide to rob the worthless vault?

To raise his bounty, get some money, and help eliminate future threats to his house whilst taking no risks. Potentially even just to anger people. I agree though that, if what you said was true, botting is a pretty likely possibility. Stealing $0 houses also seems a bit of a strange thing to do, bot or person.

Phillip Fritz wrote:

Color -- Would you say it is a bit much?  I took the time to state why I thought he was killing the game -- most new players and certainly new new players really get a huge boost from robbing a vanilla $2k house and in many cases keeps them playing the game if they can get a decent house up($4k is MUCH more then $2k).   When I started playing, I lived off those things.. especially once i had a house worth over 5k, I didn't want to blind rob someone and die!! haha

come on brotha, you need to remember when you started playing this game before you became superpro, ya know?   Some ppl have been around a while so it does get a bit harder to sympathize with the fresh bloods.  But we gotta think about the good of the game.. any new player who might have been interested.. would quickly quit if they can't get into any $2k houses. 

Don't you agree?  or do you think that fresh new players should be able to run into a $3k house and rob it and have a good time w/out practice(which you really get by building your own house after dying to other ppls traps and getting ideas for your home).

I haven't depended on $2k houses for ages, and I didn't when I started the game either (although, to be fair, there were a ton of broken ~$300 houses back then). I really don't think "get[ting] a huge boost" from $2k houses being the only way to live is what Jason intended at all, considering he's being trying to get rid of that boost.

Personally I don't think someone snatching up a lot of the $2k houses really ruins the game all on their own. There are still plenty of ways to live and play. I agree to some extent that it can make it harder for newbies, but not that it would cause people to quit en masse.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-03-24 11:19:39)

#6 2014-03-24 11:34:08

Phillip Fritz

I agree that stealing $0 houses is strange as well.. how about if he did it 3 times in a row within 5 days(max u can do it, i believe.  Robbing somebody makes you unable to rob future houses just like the chills or something, been a while since i read it).

Like I said color, we have to get off of our high horses and realize that we are no where near the noobs or players who don't have a lot of time to invest.. lets call them the casual castle doc player.    Again I have no doubt that you are part of that 20%(I guess I am, too smile that I mentioned who could prob do without EVER robbing a $2k house..  but after i would find a wife worth $4k.. and I spend my starting money on a gun and 2 saws to get to her, build my $3k house and leave $1k for bait..  I don't want to rob people w/out tools(granted u can just house peek until u find a safe house tongue).  Again, you have to look at the whole player base and see that we are more then casual cas doc players. 

Well, it is obvious that players have been quitting "en masse".. what do you think is causing both the quitting the the inability to hold new players attention the past week or two?  sad

Like this game a lot, don't want it to die is all  <3

*Just one more thing.. you have 514 posts my man!!!  Impressive shit! :DD   but, I mean.. maybe people were not as good when you started vs how good the gen cas doc population is now?   I don't think that is unfair to say.*  -- edit

Last edited by Phillip Fritz (2014-03-24 11:36:52)

#7 2014-03-24 12:09:40

poor

I, too, have been noticing this trend.

One thing, though. There is nothing suspicious about robbing $0 starter houses. Okay, maybe there is... but I do it all the time. It's not like I'm gonna die from it. lol

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#8 2014-03-24 12:14:59

poor

I guess something that is suspicious is someone taking over 100 steps in the entrance of my house not once, not twice, but three times when I haven't even edited it, and then coming in and taking three steps a dozen more times. Not necessarily a bot, but still damn annoying (What? You think I don't watch every single tape?) and with no apparent motive.

"Safety" is relative

#9 2014-03-24 12:15:52

iceman
Website

Phillip Fritz wrote:

I see iceman.. well he has the top house so I doubt he is prepping his own death bounty  tongue.

Yeah, I guess there's no point to abusing dual accounts like that when you have > 100k =P.  If he still robs other people, he could still be prepping a really, really nice bounty present for them, as a reward for killing him.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#10 2014-03-24 13:34:20

Immhotep

People who robs $0
Reason 1: Too bored, since the game is slow with low population nowadays...
Reason 2: Dual account players do that often just to increase their bounty so that they can kill themselves for the other account...
Reason 3: Trying to piss off "Reason 2" players or waste their time...

Death is only the beginning...

#11 2014-03-24 14:47:37

gyuri

OK, funny story. I started to build a new house yesterdays and spend down to $0 twice but had no visits by Mr. Nonnan. I thought about posting this as counterevidence to the bot theory.

Right now I'm at $380 and had very few visitors in the last couple of hours so I did a self test to get back to 0/0. After the self test I immediately clicked the 'Return to your house' button, and look who was already there. Took 5 steps and left.

#12 2014-03-24 14:59:19

cullman

poor wrote:

I guess something that is suspicious is someone taking over 100 steps in the entrance of my house not once, not twice, but three times when I haven't even edited it, and then coming in and taking three steps a dozen more times. Not necessarily a bot, but still damn annoying (What? You think I don't watch every single tape?) and with no apparent motive.

I have done this before.  When someone has come in and 3 stepped in my house multiple times incrementing my 0 0 counter more than once. I get annoyed so I go increment their counter with the hope that I will annoy them and bait them to actually come in and look at my non-intimidating house and die.  I have done this twice and one of the times it worked, the guy came in and died.

It definitely looks like newb and casual players are rapidly disappearing from the game.  It's a bummer, because I think this is the smartest and most addictive game I have ever played, but unless you can camp on your house until you can get into the $10-$20k house range you will get blown out by a bigger player with more time.  I think the game will be down to less than 50 players in a month or two at this rate...maybe less.

One idea I had was, if your house is less than $10k in either parts or vaults, allow players to take their houses off the list.  Players with sub $10k house value that leave their houses on the list earn $25/hour in salary.  I know salary has been in the game before and was taken out, and I know the option of unlisting your house has been discussed.  But I think these would be reasonable things to offer the casual lower value player that has a job, social life or family, to play on a more level playing field as they have time to play until they get into the upper echelons.

#13 2014-03-24 14:59:24

poor

Yup. Something's fishy.

edit: replying to gyuri there

Last edited by poor (2014-03-24 15:02:25)

"Safety" is relative

#14 2014-03-24 15:14:57

Leveller

Left my house wideopen to try this. (fresh 2k)  Correct. Noonan was in within seconds robbed me blind.   

Also seen a guy (days ago, dont remember name) refreshing hes already broken house to 0/0 emtpy house, and see it go away, come up. go away, come up.   

Fishy indeed.

#15 2014-03-24 15:45:13

Immhotep

Maybe Mr. Noonan should dance a little next time so that people don't accuse you on botting LOL! Come on people, he could be a retired man who sits in front of the TV and a monitor or maybe he's working as a receptionist etc etc... Being active & a fast clicker doesn't makes him a botter! How do you think he's on the top list anyway?

#16 2014-03-24 15:49:33

cullman

It would be real easy to see if he is a bot just by putting a 4 high wood wall right in front of door, no?  If he walks around it he is a fast clicker if he bails out he is a bot.

#17 2014-03-24 15:50:48

Immhotep

cullman wrote:

It would be real easy to see if he is a bot just by putting a 4 high wood wall right in front of door, no?  If he walks around it he is a fast clicker if he bails out he is a bot.

Yup, or a pit in front of the entrance...

Last edited by Immhotep (2014-03-24 15:51:24)

#18 2014-03-24 15:53:24

FreeLove

I'd have to say if someone actually created such a bot, that's pretty damn impressive. And somebody with no value should check to see if his bot is perfect (ie. place a single dog between you and the vault, plus a short loop-de-loop in a bottom corner).

I've seen pretty far inside his house, and while none of the traps themselves are particularly novel, the house as a whole is very efficient. It's not many houses that require such a heavy bankroll to brute force - AND are able to easily move the vault location to sabotage repeat visits. No house is impenetrable, but breaking into his is wonderfully tedious.

I only post because I care <3

#19 2014-03-24 16:15:50

crazyace

Noonan here. Sup, test me bro.

#20 2014-03-24 16:18:15

crazyace

The time I waste = money deserved.

#21 2014-03-24 16:22:09

crazyace

I got robbed for 180k last night. Life is possible. ;P

#22 2014-03-24 16:23:10

crazyace

Congrats John Robert Walters.

#23 2014-03-24 16:32:49

FreeLove

Question: Are you the same guy that built the second house robbed in this video? (link: http://www.twitch.tv/akuwelkin/b/508376372) (skip to about 38:00)

Just asking, as the design concept looked very similar to the Noonan house. Quite effective.

I only post because I care <3

#24 2014-03-24 16:35:04

crazyace

Phillip maybe my simple goal of gaining fast money seduced you enough to post about it and boost my net worth. I would love this game to thrive but to blame an opportunist for trying to save time doesn't mean people have to cheat. You cant blame 1 person for killing a game when im just trying to play just like you. I just don't want to waste as much time. I don't use bots, cheats, hacks, hax, fax, dildos or cock pumps. To be fair, if you could you would get free money first. I appreciate freeloves test of my house if it was real. Good luck champs.

#25 2014-03-24 16:49:51

poor

crazyace wrote:

Phillip maybe my simple goal of gaining fast money seduced you enough to post about it and boost my net worth.

lolwut?

crazyace wrote:

I would love this game to thrive but to blame an opportunist for trying to save time doesn't mean people have to cheat.

so, is this an admission?

crazyace wrote:

You cant blame 1 person for killing a game when im just trying to play just like you.

fair point...

crazyace wrote:

I just don't want to waste as much time.

Ah, so you mean "like you", as in the Mafia's "I am a perfectly honest businessman, like you."

crazyace wrote:

I don't use bots, cheats, hacks, hax, fax, dildos or cock pumps.

Well, that's out of the way.

To be fair, if you could you would get free money first.

Possibly.

Still, the potential for alt abuse needs to be fixed. Mr. Noonan here seems to be proof of that.

"Safety" is relative

Board footer