The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-20 08:48:29

MMaster

David Michael Scott wants YOU to rob him

Hi. It's been some time since I last wanted you to show me how insignificant my house is. My last house has fallen because of my stupidity (I died) so here is next challenge:

I'm David Michael Scott and I challenge you to find my vault and get everything from it. I'm currently at $35000 ??/10 (updated, was: $18000 14/5). I'm looking forward to seeing you pass my traps on security tapes so I can learn more tricks.

I wish you a good luck! ;-)

Last edited by MMaster (2014-03-21 14:34:39)

#2 2014-03-20 09:23:26

shlam16

Re: David Michael Scott wants YOU to rob him

Poked my head in. Wish you had art. I know it will probably cost more than 20k to scout/rob you, so there is no incentive for me without the intangible value of paintings tongue.

#3 2014-03-20 09:34:05

MMaster

shlam16 wrote:

Poked my head in. Wish you had art. I know it will probably cost more than 20k to scout/rob you, so there is no incentive for me without the intangible value of paintings tongue.

What a shame smile I will go on robbing run probably next week and I will probably have some paintings then unless I die smile Just wanted to give everyone a chance before I die. I didn't see anyone get to my vault for a long time so I decided to get little bit more attention here smile It's the best way to learn this game - watch as people get through your traps.

#4 2014-03-21 14:43:09

MMaster

Ok. It seems that $18k was not enough. I've had successful run on house of Mr. Charles Frank Crump (I'm sorry). It was a good house, but not for the value it had. Very good traps - solvable without dying. I could scout without tools in quite large area. And I was lucky - I didn't even use most of the tools I brought with me on my scouting run.
So now I have $35k.

Come and get it! wink

#5 2014-03-24 20:51:49

FreeLove

I still haven't figured out your first puzzle. Be patient!

Last edited by FreeLove (2014-03-24 20:52:02)

I only post because I care <3

#6 2014-03-24 22:23:09

williad2
Website

FreeLove wrote:

Here is a hint:
http://castledraft.com/editor/PGLRcs

Your allowed 3 steps into my house.  Any more than that and your mine.

#7 2014-03-24 22:35:39

Lord0fHam

he's lying the vault is not there. i just checked

It's a trap!

#8 2014-03-24 22:48:53

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:

he's lying the vault is not there. i just checked

It seems less like a lie and more like a mistake; the vault is on that square in the starter house map that shows up when you open castledraft. williad probably just forgot to delete it.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#9 2014-03-24 22:50:00

Lord0fHam

oh lol, well its just pits there

It's a trap!

#10 2014-03-25 01:03:24

MMaster

williad2 wrote:
FreeLove wrote:

Here is a hint:
http://castledraft.com/editor/PGLRcs

Hello Mr. Herbert Daniel Dunn ;-) You're next on my robbing list :-)

#11 2014-03-25 02:25:08

MMaster

Herbert Daniel Dunn is Done :-) You should not have given your map to crowd and I would have left you alone ;-) You spent so much tools on that scouting run that I was even feeling a little sorry for you.

Now about your house - I'm not going to share my map of it, but I can say - It looked really scary Mr Dunn. Turned out to be really easy. One advice - triggering whole house with single trap is good, but when you use electric floors it means that robber only needs water to get rid of most of your deadly traps. It was funny house, but not really that hard to brute force. Certainly not good enough for $120k it held.

EDIT: Also it would be better if triggering the traps would have also disabled access to the vault forever. Also it really helped me that I could look into the vault room and return back without getting fried - I was able to count number of moves needed to safely go to the vault - so I actually successfully solved your final trap without using tools (I had to use single item to get in sync with the clock). I believe I would be able to pass your house without tools now.

Note: I think that large clocks are too predictable to be effective defense. They are too big and they also give robbers hints about number of moves needed to pass trap(s).

EDIT2: Is it just me or are the top houses really "lame"? I just robbed another $100k house and there was 1/2 of empty space there. It was not even that hard to figure out the magic dances once you saw the buttons. I guess it would be really good house if it was finished. Michael Richard Murrel why you sit on $100k when you don't have finished house? Sorry for robbing you and thanks for some paintings.

I guess it is worth your while to rob my house now wink I am really curious how it will go, but from last 2 top page houses I robbed it seems that only $2k robbers go there as anyone more dedicated would already crack them. So I think I have nothing to worry about smile I'm looking forward to your visits guys. C'mon - and no map sharing please, because I will change my house as soon as I see another shared map of my house (as you can see from the numbers I didn't change my house yet!).

Last edited by MMaster (2014-03-25 05:39:53)

#12 2014-03-25 10:47:31

Cylence

Darn, was hoping Michael Richard Murrel would be around when I woke up.

He showed up last night on the top page and I haven't seen his name at all. He had two kids sitting outside.
I think he was gifted a huge bounty and just started a house. I wanted to rob him but I was pretty tired.

From his entrance it would be a small investment to check out the magic dance compared to his listing. You could lock in any changes with the kids he left out front. I was gonna give it a go when I was fresh (didn't want any mental lapses).

I'm not much of a dedicated robber and I just like watching tapes. However, I do like to jump at opportunities like the one above. Congrats on your $100k bonus. I'm guessing most of it was cash. Since he was sitting on 1 kill when I left. Still, you've definitely got enough money to smash through most houses now (or sweep the auctions).

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#13 2014-03-25 12:04:32

MMaster

Cylence wrote:

Darn, was hoping Michael Richard Murrel would be around when I woke up.

He showed up last night on the top page and I haven't seen his name at all. He had two kids sitting outside.
I think he was gifted a huge bounty and just started a house. I wanted to rob him but I was pretty tired.

From his entrance it would be a small investment to check out the magic dance compared to his listing. You could lock in any changes with the kids he left out front. I was gonna give it a go when I was fresh (didn't want any mental lapses).

I'm not much of a dedicated robber and I just like watching tapes. However, I do like to jump at opportunities like the one above. Congrats on your $100k bonus. I'm guessing most of it was cash. Since he was sitting on 1 kill when I left. Still, you've definitely got enough money to smash through most houses now (or sweep the auctions).

I did not kill his kids. I just took 2 crowbars and broke through the doors - figured out that all doors are connected, went to look at the dog to figure out the magic dance (it was really expensive magic dance trap compared to the cost of figuring it out). Then I just had a look around as there was nothing that could kill me. I found next magic dance where I needed 2 ladders to safely pass it so I returned home. Then I just figured out the first magic dance from the map I had and only took some tools to get through the second magic dance which I was almost sure was the last one (I was right wink ). It was really cheap for me compared to the reward smile
And no - he had lots of tools. I think he robbed someone.

I don't know why but nobody (not counting $2k robbers) is trying to seriously break into my house. I guess everyone is so afraid to lose their house that they don't risk it.

But I'm not afraid - that's why I posted it here some time before I got to the first place (didn't change my house since then). So it looks like my house will once again fall with me while I will rob top page houses :-)

That's an idea to get my house robbed! The rules are changing - every day I will rob some house(s) from the top page until I die or until there is not a single house worth more than $30k.
Let's see if this is good enough motivation to get me robbed smile

EDIT: Someone is robbing me! I think it's Mr. John Scott Snyder. I love this feeling smile

Last edited by MMaster (2014-03-25 13:31:12)

#14 2014-03-25 14:28:33

Cylence

Ah, I wonder who he ended up robbing. Maybe it was a chain robber working his way to the top. Since I'm not sure he could get to $120K with one score.

After you scouted me, I've considered two options. Enjoy some time buying paintings and dropping my value, or spend my savings trying to find your vault and remove you as a threat.

Not sure what I'll do, half of me wants to see the tape of you robbing me, but with that much money, and your skill, I'm sure it'll just be visit/revisit until success.

Anyway, enjoy your monetary leverage smile

Edit: Either your editing or someone is putting some serious time into robbing you. I haven't seen your house for awhile. And your paintings are not on the auction house.

Last edited by Cylence (2014-03-25 14:39:31)

#15 2014-03-25 14:38:03

LiteS

$170k was just too much for me to pass up. I do hope you find that my solution makes an enjoyable security tape, even if circumventing a key layer of security wasn't exactly how you hoped to go down.

Cheers to the next life, David Michael Scott.

#16 2014-03-25 14:53:41

Cylence

Ah, so LiteS was in your house. Congrats, LiteS.

#17 2014-03-25 15:02:08

MMaster

LiteS wrote:

$170k was just too much for me to pass up. I do hope you find that my solution makes an enjoyable security tape, even if circumventing a key layer of security wasn't exactly how you hoped to go down.

Cheers to the next life, David Michael Scott.

Good Job! This was exactly the way to cheaply circumvent it. Congratulations! ;-)

#18 2014-03-25 15:11:00

MMaster

To anyone interested this was the house:
http://castledraft.com/editor/EtgkgY

The only cheap way to circumvent it is to not scare the cat that goes through the door maze. That is how LiteS solved it - he broke through the wall so the cat could not see him and went through the maze like a boss!

You see. It was not that hard. Everyone was so amazed with first area that they didn't even see some cat going through powered doors.

EDIT: The only real way to improve this house would be to let the cat see the robber right from the beginning. I just wanted to have some starting area for people to come and play with so I just accepted the weakness. I also didn't have too much time to finish details and I didn't want to change the house when I announced the challenge. So the house is(was) as it is. I have to say that this idea came to me when I saw Curry's house entrance and it is mostly based on that. I think that moving the magic dance area right in front of entrance (changing it a bit) and making everything else in the house powered door maze would make ultimate brute force resistant house. It is hard to tell which way the cat went (if the dogs wouldn't be there - that was another hint for robber) as all the door cells with buttons would look the same if the cat walks through it.

Last edited by MMaster (2014-03-25 16:27:04)

#19 2014-03-25 23:23:48

LiteS

Beyond what you suggested, I'd say what you built could have been a /little/ more confusing if you anticipated someone going in before the cat and made the maze a bit more complex by creating more false paths. As it stands, there was no way for me to access the top, since that entire row was locked from behind. Maybe leaving one open (if you could work out that the cat wouldn't accidentally go through) wouldn't be a bad idea.

I agree with you though, it would be very difficult to get through that maze if you decided to follow the cat, since it would mess up everything and ruin all the directional hints given by following open doors.

#20 2014-03-26 01:36:46

MMaster

LiteS wrote:

Beyond what you suggested, I'd say what you built could have been a /little/ more confusing if you anticipated someone going in before the cat and made the maze a bit more complex by creating more false paths. As it stands, there was no way for me to access the top, since that entire row was locked from behind. Maybe leaving one open (if you could work out that the cat wouldn't accidentally go through) wouldn't be a bad idea.

I agree with you though, it would be very difficult to get through that maze if you decided to follow the cat, since it would mess up everything and ruin all the directional hints given by following open doors.

Right. It was not built to confuse anyone who gets to the maze without scaring the cat. If you didn't scare the cat you basically solved it. There was only one way through the maze and if you would try to go from top or from bottom you would need to destroy the doors. In a way the maze was built it was easy to change the maze just by switching some buttons so even if someone would brute force their way through and would be very close to finding the vault - just change the maze by replacing some buttons and tada - he is screwed. The main idea was that the cat has to see you. To be honest I did want to get robbed as I am getting bored sad so I decided to let that weakness be there and let you guys figure it out. That's why I didn't want you to share your maps as it would be obvious from the map. Unfortunately no other weakness was exposed sad You were the first one to seriously try and you did it. Who knows - maybe one day I will create house that will be full of doors and the cat will see you right from the beginning so there would be no way to stop it from going through the door maze except for successfully solving the magic dance.

Last edited by MMaster (2014-03-26 01:49:09)

#21 2014-03-26 01:44:58

FreeLove

So, this was my map:

http://www.castledraft.com/editor/gQ3p4n

And I STILL couldn't figure out the opening trap sad. Kudos, I think. Man I wish I had gotten to see the powered door section.

I only post because I care <3

#22 2014-03-26 02:07:36

MMaster

FreeLove wrote:

So, this was my map:

http://www.castledraft.com/editor/gQ3p4n

And I STILL couldn't figure out the opening trap sad. Kudos, I think. Man I wish I had gotten to see the powered door section.

No one did sad I thought it will be easy as I have shown you basically everything needed to solve it except for the power source.
Let's see if you can figure it out now that you see the map. Anyone? smile

#23 2014-03-26 02:42:26

gyuri

You go down, open the door right next to the power source, let the dog follow you three steps behind and cross the commit gate?

#24 2014-03-26 02:51:08

MMaster

gyuri wrote:

You go down, open the door right next to the power source, let the dog follow you three steps behind and cross the commit gate?

Nope. There are more solutions but it is more difficult than this :-)

Note: That was dead end when you look at whole map I have posted.

Last edited by MMaster (2014-03-26 03:18:17)

#25 2014-03-26 07:10:12

Cylence

First off, you need complete knowledge on cat movement.
In order to discover the first part safely, you'll need two bricks minimum to open the east door and north door. This will allow you to see the cat blocking the dog.
Without tools, you'll be able to see two trapdoors and work out the first trapdoor with scouting.

The first trapdoor is harder in my opinion, although you do get to scout it for free.
The two buttons on top have to be handled by the cats. The rest is pressed by the dog.
You have to position the cats in a way that as you move right, they leave both buttons in the ON position.
There's probably multiple ways of doing this, but I'm not sure.
The dog must be able to follow you to the right to press the rest of the buttons.
Keep 2 tiles distance by dancing the first button (on then off) to make sure he doesn't fry you on the electric floor.

One more brick is needed figure out how to power the second trapdoor.
Brick the cat in front of the wooden door to lock in the dog near you.
Dance the far dog stuck so you can explore the right and see the cat to reveal its timing.
You may have to invest in more bricks to be sure down or right movement doesn't change the timing.
The second trapdoor turns on twice by the cat.
After seeing the cat, the trapdoor is on at step 4 and 6.
I timed the second trapdoor to be passed on step 6.
This gives you time to dance the dog for the first trapdoor after seeing the cat.

Step list provided below (U - up, R - right, L - left, D - down).
1. Start by opening the south door then east door then north door.
R R D D D D R R U

2. Begin the dance to get the top two buttons setup with cats and the dog in position to follow.
D U D U R L D L R U

3. Sight the cat on the right and the space the dog for the first trapdoor. The second one will be on timing.
R R U R L R R R R R

Edit: Just realized you can't scout it for free at all. The sight of the dogs makes two doors into liabilities. Left the text but showed they are incorrect.

Last edited by Cylence (2014-03-26 07:27:26)

Board footer