The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-28 03:39:32

xandalis

Ahhh... My first satisfying, surviving house (so far...)

So, this life, while the wife&kids were offed early, I've got a nice little setup going (I think, anyway). About 5-6k into the house now, with just enough left over to go clubbing a few times.

#2 2014-03-28 04:37:04

StefanLindskog

Re: Ahhh... My first satisfying, surviving house (so far...)

Good for you! Don't get too attached now. wink

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#3 2014-03-28 04:47:04

xandalis

Eh, it's still easier to crack than it might look right now, but only if you have a clue what's ahead of you. Assuming I get the cash needed for more upgrades, that'll change soon enough though. Had one guy with a 1.1k bty die, 5th time scouting the place. Wasn't the 1st time he even saw the hazard (and avoided) that killed him that 5th time.

#4 2014-03-28 05:21:09

xandalis

And down the drain it went. Died in a house. Damn my curiosity. Whelp, least I know how to spot dog-cat commits now.

#5 2014-03-28 05:56:14

StefanLindskog

You die - you learn.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#6 2014-03-28 07:09:47

TheRealCheese

xandalis wrote:

And down the drain it went. Died in a house. Damn my curiosity. Whelp, least I know how to spot dog-cat commits now.

My bane is dog/wife pincers while scouting low value houses. Beware of those.

#7 2014-03-28 07:28:26

xandalis

Yeah, many of those have nailed me. My least favorites so far though are clock-based, and dog-follow-hitting-buttons-out-of-sight-based traps. Usually I spot those, and I'm out. Well, the dog-follow traps. Clock-based tend to sneak up on me.

#8 2014-03-28 08:01:15

ventuswings

TheRealCheese wrote:
xandalis wrote:

My bane is dog/wife pincers while scouting low value houses. Beware of those.

I think it's so effective because it completely goes against your intuition of checking the corridor closest to the entrance. Even if you know about the existence of such a trap, it's very hard to go against your usual scouting habit. The flexibility of design for the dog/wife pincer traps doesn't help as well tongue

#9 2014-03-28 10:48:29

Diablo

Any walls that do the good old curve while scouting im gonna avoid haha I love the way this game trains and punishes you

#10 2014-03-28 19:17:11

xandalis

The ones that really nail me now though, are the "stealth-wife" traps. "Oh, look, family went that-a-way... *checks seemingly non-related door, gets chest blown open by shotty* "How the hell did they get there???" *new life*

#11 2014-03-28 21:24:06

GotABigTrap

xandalis wrote:

The ones that really nail me now though, are the "stealth-wife" traps. "Oh, look, family went that-a-way... *checks seemingly non-related door, gets chest blown open by shotty* "How the hell did they get there???" *new life*

I just weeded one of these out.  If you see the wife go up but you can't see where they go, don't open any doors without bricks.  Usually these are cleverly designed to make you think the wife is up top so you'll open the doors below you and BAM.

#12 2014-03-29 05:55:05

mala

GotABigTrap wrote:
xandalis wrote:

I just weeded one of these out.  If you see the wife go up but you can't see where they go, don't open any doors without bricks.  Usually these are cleverly designed to make you think the wife is up top so you'll open the doors below you and BAM.

given the time of your posts, seems like you've found my newborn house, simple trap yet so effective, i've raked 6k of bounties with the first 5 robberies (3x600-2x2100), the downside is that you have to keep the value under 2400 and unless you avoid sleeping... it's almost impossible. now my house is broken, but i have enough money to go on with the main plan big_smile

that's the starting scheme more or less

http://castledraft.com/editor/sLIVUY

You have to run trough the 4th door before the wife blocks the path, the cat prevent you to reach the vault by going down the "safe route".

Since validating the house takes 2 seconds, i kept adding a single wooden wall on the outside after each bounty to reset the counter.
When you are below 2k and with 0/0 try it takes no more than a minute to attract someone.

The huge downside is that your wife is vulnerable and if someone kills her the entire design became useless.

Last edited by mala (2014-03-29 06:54:21)

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#13 2014-03-29 07:27:06

eppfel
Website

mala wrote:

Did nobody crack that house 0_o ? The first thing I do, when I see a wife behind doors trap like this, is counting the steps to be sure she can not reach a certain door before me. Therefore the 4th door would be first choice.

#14 2014-03-29 07:47:44

mala

eppfel wrote:
mala wrote:

Did nobody crack that house 0_o ? The first thing I do, when I see a wife behind doors trap like this, is counting the steps to be sure she can not reach a certain door before me. Therefore the 4th door would be first choice.

it was supposed to catch someone out of guard, and it did.

i haven't had the time to make upgrade and it has been robbed to 0...

time to start again... again...

Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#15 2014-03-29 08:42:49

GotABigTrap

mala wrote:
GotABigTrap wrote:
xandalis wrote:

given the time of your posts, seems like you've found my newborn house, simple trap yet so effective, i've raked 6k of bounties with the first 5 robberies (3x600-2x2100), the downside is that you have to keep the value under 2400 and unless you avoid sleeping... it's almost impossible. now my house is broken, but i have enough money to go on with the main plan big_smile

You have to run trough the 4th door before the wife blocks the path, the cat prevent you to reach the vault by going down the "safe route".

Since validating the house takes 2 seconds, i kept adding a single wooden wall on the outside after each bounty to reset the counter.
When you are below 2k and with 0/0 try it takes no more than a minute to attract someone.

The huge downside is that your wife is vulnerable and if someone kills her the entire design became useless.

yes that's the one!  I almost opened the doors w/o bricks too but decided to come back.  I wouldn't start over you had all that magic dance stuff in place at the bottom.

#16 2014-03-29 08:49:39

mala

GotABigTrap wrote:

yes that's the one!  I almost opened the doors w/o bricks too but decided to come back.  I wouldn't start over you had all that magic dance stuff in place at the bottom.

yes, i saw you opened the first two doors manually big_smile

since i had way too much money in the first 5 minutes i just made a magic dance to hold off suicide robbers while planning the house.
I've made a really sloppy work and this morning it has been forced with meat/torch/ladder.

now i need a new starting plan

Board footer