The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-29 08:36:41

PsyBlade

Feature request: Automap

Parts of the map that you have already seen would still be displayed (eg in greyscale, or like a hand drawn map) but only in the state you have last seen them. These maps would be individual to the house and be kept across robberies unless manually deleted.

I think just about every good robber manually draws maps anyway so it wouldn't cause much change in gameplay. But it would be much more convenient.

Storage could be server or client side. Server side probably would have to limit their number but could allow other interesting things such as robbing someone else’s maps.

As for implementation: I have a good idea of how it could be done that I can post if needed.

#2 2014-03-29 09:15:47

Cylence

Re: Feature request: Automap

Offering my thoughts against this idea.

You can check your recorded games for maps.
Not everyone will take the time to record. And also not everyone will record perfectly. Leading to deathly mistakes.

Auto-mapping during the robbery takes away the time pressure during a robbery. Do you spend more time mapping? Or just assume you remember the layout?

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#3 2014-03-29 09:23:04

PsyBlade

As you said you can simply use the recording should you be under time pressure.

#4 2014-03-29 09:46:19

Blip

I agree with Cyclene here: give players the choice to map themselves if they feel like they need it. It takes time to map, and that's time out of your 10 minute robbery timer in which you aren't robbing.

I'l also like to add that the lack of mapping people generally do for low-level robberies is a good thing. Few people take the time to map out a house with only $1k in it, and that will occasionally lead to deaths based on forgetfulness: "wait, which door was the dog behind?". Auto mapping these houses would make the game even harder for players with low-level houses, who are generally newer players. We don't want the new players to leave the game because they're getting robbed incredibly easily!

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#5 2014-03-29 10:01:53

PsyBlade

If anything it makes the game more accessible for new users (which don't know how and when to map).

#6 2014-03-29 10:07:45

colorfusion

I kind of like the idea, but I think I prefer manual mapping. It leaves room for carelessness and thus houses that rely on that, as Blip said. If it was all automatically mapped out for you then there'd be no "Did I just leave that on?" or "Wait, did I already see the dog behind here?" moments. Applies especially to self tests.

If we eliminate any chance for human error then the game wouldn't work at all, even if it was "more accessible for new users".

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-03-29 10:59:15)

#7 2014-03-29 15:01:44

Diablo

this game is fine, actually this game is perfect please dont mess with it

#8 2014-03-29 16:54:58

xandalis

No "automapping." If you want to remember where everything else was that you can't see from where you are, is, take your time and use castledraft (or the other one, I forget the name). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we'll never see in-game mapping like that. Except for one thing: your memory.

#9 2014-03-29 17:30:01

Lord0fHam

xandalis wrote:

No "automapping." If you want to remember where everything else was that you can't see from where you are, is, take your time and use castledraft (or the other one, I forget the name). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we'll never see in-game mapping like that. Except for one thing: your memory.

It's a trap!

#10 2014-03-29 18:09:19

xandalis

Cylence wrote:

Offering my thoughts against this idea.

You can check your recorded games for maps.
Not everyone will take the time to record. And also not everyone will record perfectly. Leading to deathly mistakes.

Auto-mapping during the robbery takes away the time pressure during a robbery. Do you spend more time mapping? Or just assume you remember the layout?

Actually, no one spends extra time on recording. Goto your game dir, and look at the "recordedGames" folder. Each text file is an entire game session. Plop the one (they're numbered) into the "playbackGames" folder, and run the client. Sadly there's no way that I know of to speed up or pause playback, but you've got a full record of everything you could see at any given time through all houses you've been in during that session. So, time spent mapping while playing can be 0... But, if you have multi-hour sessions like I do (I leave the client up so I can check my tapes, from time to time), watching the playbacks can indeed be VERY time consuming... But, there's your automap feature.

#11 2014-03-29 18:25:55

Lord0fHam

thats what cylence meant. also there is a way to speed it up, but i don't remember how.

It's a trap!

#12 2014-03-30 02:14:43

PsyBlade

enableSpeedControlKeys
then press ^ for slow, & for normal, or *() for fast
fast depends on vsync being off

and you can simply restart the client (and thus have new recording) before an important robbery

Last edited by PsyBlade (2014-03-30 02:15:10)

Board footer