The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-29 20:01:15

Blip

Open Question: are Wife-Based Traps Worth It in High Value Houses?

So I have a house (I'm not going to tell my name) that has a good amount of cash in it. I recently realized that it's sort of ridiculous that my wife still is being used as a fail-safe for my initial trap, the same way she was used in the initial 2k house. She holds a good amount of cash, and is currently very easy to get to for the robber! However, my trap has evolved such that I have little room for a dog-path for her and our kids, so I've just been keeping her in her shooting-robbers role right now.

Is this really as crazy as it might seem? What do you guys think: is using your wife to augment your trap while rich, thus saving space and getting a unique trap asset, worth the risk of losing the cash the carries?

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#2 2014-03-29 20:15:06

HardKor

Re: Open Question: are Wife-Based Traps Worth It in High Value Houses?

If I bring a brick and a gun into your house, could I kill your wife? If yes, would I make a profit doing so?
These are the things I used to think about when I used my wife in my house.  I stopped hiding her behind doors because someone shot her that way.  This game makes you paranoid based on your mistakes, just make sure she dies a worthy death... because one day she will die.

#3 2014-03-29 20:21:47

mala

Blip wrote:

So I have a house (I'm not going to tell my name) that has a good amount of cash in it. I recently realized that it's sort of ridiculous that my wife still is being used as a fail-safe for my initial trap, the same way she was used in the initial 2k house. She holds a good amount of cash, and is currently very easy to get to for the robber! However, my trap has evolved such that I have little room for a dog-path for her and our kids, so I've just been keeping her in her shooting-robbers role right now.

Is this really as crazy as it might seem? What do you guys think: is using your wife to augment your trap while rich, thus saving space and getting a unique trap asset, worth the risk of losing the cash the carries?

lately i'm using lots of wify traps, but everytime i face the same problem... once she start carrying too much money and is somehow spotted, she become the real target. without the doggy path i have no idea how she can survive.

The shotgun is useless against armed robbers and even if you make it so that the robber can't survive after the shooting, she will be dead and the trap stops working.

But maybe you can find a better solution than mine big_smile

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#4 2014-03-30 11:01:33

Blip

Well, she's dead. Along with our kids. I will get my revenge, Mr. Hamblin!

#5 2014-03-30 12:16:59

Shadezy

Sorry for you loss Blip. I fear that my opinion is a bit irrelevant at this point. But, this is a question that I've thought about a lot so I'm still going to share.

If you like to build wife-based traps then I think you should go for it because games aren't as fun when you don't do what you want to do. With that said, if you only want to kill robbers to make money and your main goal is just to work toward having your house on the front page, then the wife is a liability and there are better traps for killing robbers. But, if you like watching robbers try and solve your puzzles, then a wife-trap is an excellent obstacle to throw at them in my opinion.

Either way though, wives aren't very hard to kill. So, at higher house values the wife trap should have a couple layers of defense in front of it if possible. Or at least a doggy commitment gate so that murderous robbers looking for easy money know they probably wont get out alive... though, that never stops me from trying when I'm in the mood for a cyber murder spree.

Live. Die. Repeat.

#6 2014-03-30 12:25:13

eppfel
Website

Blip wrote:

Therefore you take way to shy glances into my house. ;-) I'm curious about your first move...
I'm sorry I killed your family, but the 8k in cash were just too tempting. Knowing it is your house, makes my decision to not waste all my money on tools to get to your vault look wise. First I was thinking: "Who keeps his wife out in the open like that. I guess his vault is just around the corner."

Last edited by eppfel (2014-03-30 12:27:11)

#7 2014-03-30 12:29:48

Blip

eppfel wrote:
Blip wrote:

Therefore you take way to shy glances into my house. ;-) I'm curious about your first move...
I'm sorry I killed your family, but the 8k in cash were just too tempting. Knowing it is your house, makes my decision to not waste all my money on tools to get to your vault look wise. First I was thinking: "Who keeps his wife out in the open like that. I guess his vault is just around the corner."

My vault was behind three more layers of traps, and some of the best I've ever designed, if I do say so myself. Right now I'm not plotting anything, but once I get a little more time and cash, I might make a move. Your wooden walls look very tempting... also, your wife sort of deserves a clubbing.

Edit: Your wife was less protected than I thought! Also, the "cat then pit bull" method doesn't work that well, as you clearly saw. Sorry about the children, but I needed my revenge. And a nice profit too!

Last edited by Blip (2014-03-30 12:34:33)

#8 2014-03-30 12:52:37

eppfel
Website

Blip wrote:

Edit: Your wife was less protected than I thought! Also, the "cat then pit bull" method doesn't work that well, as you clearly saw. Sorry about the children, but I needed my revenge. And a nice profit too!

np, sadly my vault got compromised after you left the house in it's state. Would have loved to see you try. The cat+dog thing... no comment ;-) But i clearly miscounted the steps for the cat at the pit. 3 guns more would have made it unprofitable i guess.

#9 2014-03-30 13:57:41

williad2
Website

In my opinion, the game is designed for your family to die as you progress to a higher level.  The wife and kids traps are used to assist in foiling attempts from lower income robbers however, once you break through and grab the attention of mid - higher income robbers your family is doomed.  All you can do is accept it and hopefully she took a few of them out before her demise.

On the bright side, your house will open up and allow construction of more advanced traps.  When designing a house prepare it for this transition and your house will be a formidable dwelling for any would be robber.

Again, I'm no expert and what I say should be defined as a just an opinion.
Best of luck.

Your allowed 3 steps into my house.  Any more than that and your mine.

#10 2014-03-30 18:05:29

Blip

eppfel wrote:
Blip wrote:

np, sadly my vault got compromised after you left the house in it's state. Would have loved to see you try. The cat+dog thing... no comment ;-)

You seem to have rebuilt now, sir. How about we call it a draw, and leave each other's vaults be? I really don't want to enter a feud that might chance the loss of my beloved painting, known as... um... dewoihgfoiwhdmainian abyss, I think.

eppfel wrote:

But i clearly miscounted the steps for the cat at the pit. 3 guns more would have made it unprofitable i guess.

Profit or lack of it will not prevent revenge. We're even now, though. Just two widowers with only some killer dogs to love us.

Last edited by Blip (2014-03-30 18:06:56)

#11 2014-03-30 18:19:32

eppfel
Website

Blip wrote:

You seem to have rebuilt now, sir. How about we call it a draw, and leave each other's vaults be? I really don't want to enter a feud that might chance the loss of my beloved painting, known as... um... dewoihgfoiwhdmainian abyss, I think.

Profit or lack of it will not prevent revenge. We're even now, though. Just two widowers with only some killer dogs to love us.

Well, well... two widowers, but thieves as well. I gratefully accept your offer, but remain suspicious about such agreements.

Maybe, to come back to the OP: I used my wife for attracting robbers, intercepts and timed leap of faith, but in the end: If someone finds her, he will kill her. So, the only solution is hide her deep in the castle..

#12 2014-03-30 18:28:35

Blip

Hiding the wife behind pit-bulls seems like such a waste of space, though. As williad said, you can build better traps without having to worry about a pit-bull corridor for the wife - a dead family, most notably, allows for a trap on the first tile in front of the entrance. Using wife-traps seems like a way to use your wife until she dies such that she is less of a waste of space. Usually, by the time she dies while in a wife-trap, your vault defenses are so good that you don't need her as "backup cash", and if somebody did reach your vault (probably by brute-force and cutting walls), the money your wife held would likely not be enough to repair anyways.

Board footer