The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-04-07 23:08:43

Lord0fHam

Re: Server that does not tolerate cheating

cullman wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:
cullman wrote:

- On houses with values less than $10000 you cannot enter with more tool value than the value of the home.

Not good. People will keep their value below 10K so that it will be nearly impossible to brute force.

Got another real cash bounty? wink

Ok so help me understand what non-cheating reason someone would to bring say $21,000 of tools (retail) into a $10,000 house?

Paintings. Just like my house on the current server. I've got 5 paintings and when I buy more I go below 10k.

It's a trap!

#52 2014-04-07 23:11:00

crazyace

If I knew your name cullman; id drop 100k and smash every block in your house just to make you spend 4 hours writing a forum book.

#53 2014-04-07 23:13:22

cullman

Lord0fHam wrote:
cullman wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:

Not good. People will keep their value below 10K so that it will be nearly impossible to brute force.

Ok so help me understand what non-cheating reason someone would to bring say $21,000 of tools (retail) into a $10,000 house?

Paintings. Just like my house on the current server. I've got 5 paintings and when I buy more I go below 10k.

That makes sense, thanks.  How about, if the tool limit ban is lifted if the target house is more than $10k and/or has paintings?

#54 2014-04-07 23:26:25

pagedMov

crazyace wrote:

If I knew your name cullman; id drop 100k and smash every block in your house just to make you spend 4 hours writing a forum book.

LOL

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

#55 2014-04-07 23:31:21

Lord0fHam

That seems good. That will prevent new players from getting recked, but the pros can't hide. Maybe it would also be lifted based on time? So if there was a house that was always under 10k for whatever reason (maybe the owner robs a lot) then the tool ban would be lifted after a week or two. This way, if someonr robs a lot and has made enemies but is always below the limit, people who feel threatened or have a grudge can still go after them. Maybe it could also be based on the bounty they have, indicating that they are good at the game and should be able to take the pressure.

It's a trap!

#56 2014-04-07 23:38:14

Nakula

i like all of your ideas so far cullman. is there anyway to do a little scan on every server list initialization and not show a house if its on the same network as you? the whole "not allowing more tools than the value of the home thing has been requested before, and i have no idea why it was ignored. its a good idea, and if your going to make the game a little friendlier to the masses, this is a good start. keep it up

Last edited by Nakula (2014-04-07 23:40:29)

#57 2014-04-07 23:50:48

cullman

Lord0fHam wrote:

That seems good. That will prevent new players from getting recked, but the pros can't hide. Maybe it would also be lifted based on time? So if there was a house that was always under 10k for whatever reason (maybe the owner robs a lot) then the tool ban would be lifted after a week or two. This way, if someonr robs a lot and has made enemies but is always below the limit, people who feel threatened or have a grudge can still go after them. Maybe it could also be based on the bounty they have, indicating that they are good at the game and should be able to take the pressure.

I like that idea, thanks.

#58 2014-04-07 23:52:03

cullman

Nakula wrote:

i like all of your ideas so far cullman. is there anyway to do a little scan on every server list initialization and not show a house if its on the same network as you? the whole "not allowing more tools than the value of the home thing has been requested before, and i have no idea why it was ignored. its a good idea, and if your going to make the game a little friendlier to the masses, this is a good start. keep it up

Thanks for the support and the idea.  The same network thing can be tricky cause it may prevent people that work in the same office from playing or siblings playing even if they are playing fair.  I am planning to record IP along with license key in my asset tracking model and those things can be used later for investigation of unfair play.

#59 2014-04-08 00:08:32

Storm

cullman wrote:

Would it matter if I got Jason's blessing in a private email exchange?  Cause I did.

um. again, not really what I was tryin to say...
Yeah, Jason's pretty much the coolest guy ever to have existed.
so it's definitely been interesting cullman, thanks for that. good luck to ya again. take it easy

#60 2014-04-08 00:19:17

cullman

I see a lot of people setting up $0 vaults to rob to pump up bounty. If I go hit them, they immediately set them back up.  I figure if we make $0 vaults worth $0 bounty they will make $5 vaults.  What about finding a way to lower bounty amounts on vaults that aren't hard to break.  Ie vault bounty is no longer a fixed $1000.  It's maybe calculated on number of unique visitors x $50 and number of deaths x $100.  Something like that.

#61 2014-04-08 03:36:31

StefanLindskog

Porting this game to iOS would go a long way to solve the population issue. Playing this game on a tablet sounds like a really nice experience.

Also Cullman: About charging people for the work you'll put into this - perfectly understandable. I'm backing you 100 % on that. Why shouldn't you make a profit if you can make this game more accessible and more fair? Beats me. Don't even respond to the haters anymore in this thread. They'll leave soon enough.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#62 2014-04-08 06:27:16

Kimenzar

cullman wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:
cullman wrote:

- On houses with values less than $10000 you cannot enter with more tool value than the value of the home.

To take down a possible danger. And you set up a new restriction to learn, noone can just do 2k-suicide runs to scout out new traps(Metagame). And how to deal with it. Or just learn how tools interact with with fields(New Player). And... vengeance. And you ever wanted this god damn picture, but he don't die and you could just buy it out of the auction.

Last edited by Kimenzar (2014-04-08 06:34:52)

#63 2014-04-08 07:26:12

crazyace

cullman wrote:

I see a lot of people setting up $0 vaults to rob to pump up bounty. If I go hit them, they immediately set them back up.  I figure if we make $0 vaults worth $0 bounty they will make $5 vaults.  What about finding a way to lower bounty amounts on vaults that aren't hard to break.  Ie vault bounty is no longer a fixed $1000.  It's maybe calculated on number of unique visitors x $50 and number of deaths x $100.  Something like that.

Oneday you will learn the basics and understand that a 0 vault doesn't continuously boost someones bounty, you understand what a $0 0 0 house is right, that's a freshy using all the money in tools and going out to rob, if someone resets it repeatedly is probably because they are scouting houses and you have to reset because someone 'robbed' the 0 vault while they were out. Basic logic will save you a lot of finger pointing.

1 person CANNOT just have 2 accounts - sit and repeatedly reset one to boost a bounty, it doesn't work that way.

This is part of your problem why you think everyone cheats and you don't even understand how it works? We found the root of the problems!

#64 2014-04-08 07:33:07

AMWhy

@Crazyace. Imagine you've just blown your start up 2k on tools and scouted a house. You use all your tools and don't reach the safe.  What do you do?

1. Go back to your 0:0 house and go out to rob another one - without tools.
2. Die/suicide and start again with a fresh 2k.

1. as you've stated in your reply as a reason people might reset continuously doesn't make any sense.  Feel free to try again though.

#65 2014-04-08 07:49:15

crazyace

AMWhy wrote:

@Crazyace. Imagine you've just blown your start up 2k on tools and scouted a house. You use all your tools and don't reach the safe.  What do you do?

1. as you've stated in your reply as a reason people might reset continuously doesn't make any sense.  Feel free to try again though.

Really? - never heard of toolless scouting? Then you go load up on what you need after resetting >>>While on your 5min timer<<< then you go try. If you are entering/exiting multiple houses and people keep robbing your 0 vault, you must reset by default. Why do basic problems confuse people?

You don't make a fresh 2K - then scout because you are >>>wasting your timer<<< When you may not even need to spend all 2K! L2P?
Depends on the house, do I suicide for no reason? No that's the whole point of the game.

Yes - 2K diving is different, you go in random houses with random tools hoping for a good outcome knowing you will end up dying anyway. That's not what I'm talking about. There are players who map peoples houses multiple times over many day period if its worth it.

Last edited by crazyace (2014-04-08 07:55:21)

#66 2014-04-08 07:51:00

Blip

I'll join the server, if there are still free spots left. I'd like to see how your proposed solution works in practice and offer some support to a community server that probably needs players. Btw, make sure to use a server-side headless client, or this whole thing is just a waste anyways and actual cheating (hax) will occur.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#67 2014-04-08 08:09:59

mala

i'll definitively give it a try

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#68 2014-04-08 09:37:26

xandalis

AMWhy wrote:

Reason one makes perfect sense. I'm broke, wife is dead, safe is cracked. I'm sure as hell going to go looking for a possibly weak house, without tools. Then, when I find a likely candidate, I'll remember the name, suicide, get that fresh batch of cash, buy the tools, and go crack the house (or die trying). Of course, that probably looks like dual-account cheating on your tapes if it happens to you, too.

#69 2014-04-08 09:47:09

cullman

We are up to 13 out of 50.  Maybe I will lower the requirement to 40.  I just want to be there enough people playing that we get enough head of steam to even get a good game going, and then we can see how these cheating counter measures will work.

#70 2014-04-08 09:49:03

ventuswings

Like the ideas being discussed here, sign me up. Will give it a try if the server actually manages to work out all the details being discussed here smile

#71 2014-04-08 11:07:39

gyuri

Just an idea: make chills not 24 hours but some variable time based on the numbers of active houses or something.

#72 2014-04-08 11:48:40

cullman

gyuri wrote:

Just an idea: make chills not 24 hours but some variable time based on the numbers of active houses or something.

Good idea, that will help activity early on.

#73 2014-04-08 12:20:29

Lord0fHam

I'll join to.

It's a trap!

#74 2014-04-08 12:21:36

Nakula

instead of calculating how much money a house has to allow different sets of tools. figure a way to calculate how much theyve spent on their house, and if their spent value is below 10k then you make 2k tools not allowed

#75 2014-04-08 12:44:18

Blackswimmer

I'd absolutely love to join this.

Suggestion: Make it so that you can't bring tools of a value greater than value of all the materials used in the construction of the house. This keeps starting players safe from 2k brute forcers while ensuring that experienced players can't hide by keeping their value low.

Board footer