The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-15 17:46:03

tigerbalm immunity

Sorry to whomever was using 2 alt accounts to Suicide Scout Stowers.

Stowers died today to self test.  I had someone using two alt accounts who was making good progress and I had been quite enjoying the tapes.  In a couple days more of suicide scouts he would have seen what a good robbery kit would be for his main to bring.  I was looking forward to this.  I am also curious as to his thoughts of the house.  It's not the trickiest house, by any stretch. not even close. but i think it was fun.

YtOfFd6l.jpg

I died proving an upgrade that replaced the magic dance power doors above the vault with trap doors.  Pretty sure i toggled the starting-on-switched one too many times. one too many up-downs.

ah, well. i no rage quit. just taking a moment to sigh.

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#2 2014-04-15 17:57:55

Blip

Re: Sorry to whomever was using 2 alt accounts to Suicide Scout Stowers.

I was scouting you, so you may be referring to me. I liked your place, but I could pretty easily tell that it was a sight-trap at first. The next part was just Chihuahua surfing, up to the bit with the doors, where I died. I doubt I would have gotten past the magic dances, though.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#3 2014-04-15 18:41:55

HardKor

I suicide scouted twice in that house.  Got to the cat on the right wall, which I let go south without thinking.  It was fairly obvious your vault was that way with what I had scouted.  Would never have made it past the next doggy dance though.

Edit: I see it has changed a bit.  Would have caught me up my next dive

Last edited by HardKor (2014-04-15 18:43:21)

#4 2014-04-15 19:05:06

tigerbalm immunity

thought it might have been you, blip.

i added the power doors in the top left that gave the formerly dummy sticky switch something to do, which i could switch out for trap doors when you figured out running the cat into the sticky room was bad. and the new chihuahua surf through the ocean of doors is modable (i think), which may have slowed you down a day or two. the front half of the house was meant to confound the shit out of the less experienced and entertain the veterans who could enjoy the surfing and camera shift metaknowledge rewards and also entertain me who could enjoy the tapes of people actually making it past trap #1.  The dog dance at the end was tricky to execute sans tools (obviously, as it got me killed) but required only 2 ladders to waltz up to the vault (the upgrade i died testing would have required 3 ladders but w/e).  I had never designed a dance that involved the dog snaking in this manner.  I had fun designing it and running it but i'm doubtful it justifies all the space-cost when it's still relatively cheap to beat.  i still like the idea though.

even though it's only 6 trap doors long from the point you see the dog, my safe route was: D,U,3D,U,D,U,3D,U,D,4U,5D, for a total of 22 steps. note that some of the steps are interchangeable, namely while the dog is walking toward the right wall, it shouldn't matter if you step D,U or U,D

thanks to all who tried and died.  my goal is to build a house that will be challenging and entertaining to map and rob. and then actually survive long enough to see that happen--the robbing, that is smile

Currently dead

#5 2014-04-15 19:09:14

LordSora

Dumb question, because I am a noob, but how do you even get past the first part of the house? The top and bottom path lead nowhere and the middle path has a nippy dog who will activate the electric wires and fry you.

Sorry for the dumb question sad

#6 2014-04-15 19:12:00

tigerbalm immunity

HardKor wrote:

I suicide scouted twice in that house.  Got to the cat on the right wall, which I let go south without thinking.  It was fairly obvious your vault was that way with what I had scouted.  Would never have made it past the next doggy dance though.

Edit: I see it has changed a bit.  Would have caught me up my next dive

Since everyone who had gotten past the opening line of sight trap had forced the cat into the sticky button room which was a dummy switch meant to draw the inexperienced's attention away from running the cat down, i added the power doors to buy myself another day against the suicide scouts, who could possibly have a main acct they were waiting with after mapping a bit more.  The next day i could change out the power doors for traps and repeat that cycle for a few days until i really had a chance to clean up the back end.  alas. 

anyway, i do appreciate the dives and the feedback smile happy hunting.

Currently dead

#7 2014-04-15 19:12:39

Cylence

LordSora wrote:

how do you even get past the first part of the house?

Get the north cat to run down to meet the dog. Then go say hello to the dog (the dog wont chase you cause of the cat). This will cause a sight shift (the way the camera moves so you can see more will change). Then you go greet the no so deadly chihuahua.

Try it out in self test smile

Edited for the quote.

Last edited by Cylence (2014-04-15 19:15:36)

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#8 2014-04-15 19:21:00

tigerbalm immunity

LordSora wrote:

Dumb question, because I am a noob, but how do you even get past the first part of the house? The top and bottom path lead nowhere and the middle path has a nippy dog who will activate the electric wires and fry you.

it's not a dumb question.  it is a fairly sneaky exploitation of metagame knowledge about how and when the camera shifts occur.  the key tidbit of metagame info here is that when you scroll the screen all the way to the bottom of the map, your views will be 1 tile north of where they were originally until you scroll the screen back up to the top. 

So.

walk up and scare the cat down.  stutter step a handful to give the cat a good head start.  the cat will jump in the pit in front of the first dog which will freeze him there.  the screen scrolls to the bottom of the map 2 tiles above the dog's starting position.  so without the cat in the pit, the first screenscroll halfway down will reveal the dog (out of meat range) who will chase you and prevent you (without a club) from getting the screen to scroll to the bottom.

with cat in pit, walk down till the screen scrolls to the bottom and then when you walk back up to the electric floor trap, the screen will not scroll back down and reveal the chihuahua until you are one step from the safe indicator light. 

thank you for indulging me

Currently dead

#9 2014-04-16 00:02:41

LordSora

tigerbalm immunity wrote:
LordSora wrote:

it's not a dumb question.  it is a fairly sneaky exploitation of metagame knowledge about how and when the camera shifts occur.  the key tidbit of metagame info here is that when you scroll the screen all the way to the bottom of the map, your views will be 1 tile north of where they were originally until you scroll the screen back up to the top. 

So.

walk up and scare the cat down.  stutter step a handful to give the cat a good head start.  the cat will jump in the pit in front of the first dog which will freeze him there.  the screen scrolls to the bottom of the map 2 tiles above the dog's starting position.  so without the cat in the pit, the first screenscroll halfway down will reveal the dog (out of meat range) who will chase you and prevent you (without a club) from getting the screen to scroll to the bottom.

with cat in pit, walk down till the screen scrolls to the bottom and then when you walk back up to the electric floor trap, the screen will not scroll back down and reveal the chihuahua until you are one step from the safe indicator light. 

thank you for indulging me

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm learning more and more everyday, but this one stumped me. Especially since I couldn't actually try a mock test build. Thanks!!

Board footer