The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-04-17 00:02:45

MMaster

Re: The Bounty Issue

Cylence wrote:
cullman wrote:

To be clear I was not suggesting random houses showing up, I was suggesting houses come online in random order making it harder for people to coordinate their alts coming right in.   In my proposal within an hour anyone would see a house that went from broken vault to vault with money in it, it just would be unlikely that someone that is trying to move between alts would be able to catch it first.

Thank you for clearing that up cullman.
My issue is still somewhat there. If I were casing a house that got a bounty drop, there could be a chance that I would not be able to reenter for an hour. It's not that bad, although it will mess with my 5 minute window if I'm on a chain robbery. Let say, I've planned out 3 robberies that a new life could use to step up. After a week of scouting I finally go on my run, and part 2 of my chain disappears. It's a risk you normally have to take, so I don't feel it's too bad. Maybe it it's only limited to large bounties and a smaller window 10 - 15 minutes? Could it achieve the same results?
I don't think it affects someone who has his own drop-off house though. It would mean he could only make N big transfers for however many N extra accounts he has, but 1 or two should be enough.

It is mitigation and if the house lists stays somewhat constant, I'd be fine with it.

Edit: would want smallest window gone possible, not an hour.

This is exactly what I thought - if some house gets drop of $50k and only one person from all people that are online can see it (let's assume all people that are online at that time have names starting with the same letter except for one) then that person gets big advantage.  Houses like that are quite good source of money and even 15 minutes can be difference between seeing that house with $100k and house with $0. I don't think it's fair - if someone is actively monitoring the neighborhood they should be able to react as soon as possible (it's their advantage that they watch their neighborhood actively), because in those houses first one usually gets everything.

#77 2014-04-17 01:49:22

gyuri

Cylence wrote:

Hmm, imagine if everyone got $4000 for all the money that moved around in the game.

People who are online when this happens benefit much more from this than offline players. Except of course if you only receive the money at your next login.

#78 2014-04-17 05:32:54

cullman

Cylence wrote:
cullman wrote:

To be clear I was not suggesting random houses showing up, I was suggesting houses come online in random order making it harder for people to coordinate their alts coming right in.   In my proposal within an hour anyone would see a house that went from broken vault to vault with money in it, it just would be unlikely that someone that is trying to move between alts would be able to catch it first.

My issue is still somewhat there. If I were casing a house that got a bounty drop, there could be a chance that I would not be able to reenter for an hour. It's not that bad, although it will mess with my 5 minute window if I'm on a chain robbery. Let say, I've planned out 3 robberies that a new life could use to step up. After a week of scouting I finally go on my run, and part 2 of my chain disappears. It's a risk you normally have to take, so I don't feel it's too bad. Maybe it it's only limited to large bounties and a smaller window 10 - 15 minutes? Could it achieve the same results?
I don't think it affects someone who has his own drop-off house though. It would mean he could only make N big transfers for however many N extra accounts he has, but 1 or two should be enough.

It is mitigation and if the house lists stays somewhat constant, I'd be fine with it.

Yes, the hour thing was just a suggestion, 15 minutes would work depending how many people are on the server.  What would maybe work is that you release the house on the list for 1/26th of the population every time a certain number of unique people have refreshed where the list where that house would have been listed.  So if you had 100 people on, and all 100 had refreshed the list where that house would have been listed inside of 5 minutes then that house would show back up for everyone inside that 5 minutes.  Basically, the goal is to make it so someone cannot not do a coordinated timed tool/money transfer through a broken house.  Again, this whole mechanism only happens in the state where a vault goes from broken to unbroken - otherwise houses just pop up immediately like they do currently.  Jason has already said this is too complicated, and he is right it is complicated, but it would solve the problem.  I do believe his bounty fixes have already made a big impact on artificial wealth inflation so maybe this issue is becoming more moot - but it still it lets people give themselves a couple of 1000 in tools a day.

#79 2014-04-17 05:39:22

cullman

MMaster wrote:
Cylence wrote:
cullman wrote:

This is exactly what I thought - if some house gets drop of $50k and only one person from all people that are online can see it (let's assume all people that are online at that time have names starting with the same letter except for one) then that person gets big advantage.  Houses like that are quite good source of money and even 15 minutes can be difference between seeing that house with $100k and house with $0. I don't think it's fair - if someone is actively monitoring the neighborhood they should be able to react as soon as possible (it's their advantage that they watch their neighborhood actively), because in those houses first one usually gets everything.

MMaster, see my other post about reducing the time depending on server load, and we could use something other than first letter of name to release the house to.  The real real goal of this plan is to make it so people stop moving money in broken houses. And remember my proposal only goes into effect when the house vault was broken and then money got dropped in.  So for your scenario to be an issue there would have to be a broken vault, someone with a huge bounty or toolset is going in to rob a broken vault for some reason (sure maybe the wife has a ton of money and this person doesn't know), but even then as long as this isn't a set up broken house for money transfer - even if someone did drop $50k in it and someone got a 15 minute head start on you - presumably if it's not a broken house designed for money transfer, it was a big and confusing enough house to kill someone with a $50k bounty and/or a lot of tools, a 15 minute head start isn't going to be that big of a deal.  Most importantly, if this was in effect people would stop moving wealth this way pretty quickly because it would be even less reliable than looking around for empty $2000 0 0  houses - which is at least somewhat  a level playing field.

Last edited by cullman (2014-04-17 05:43:54)

#80 2014-04-17 09:17:32

MMaster

cullman wrote:

MMaster, see my other post about reducing the time depending on server load, and we could use something other than first letter of name to release the house to.  The real real goal of this plan is to make it so people stop moving money in broken houses. And remember my proposal only goes into effect when the house vault was broken and then money got dropped in.  So for your scenario to be an issue there would have to be a broken vault, someone with a huge bounty or toolset is going in to rob a broken vault for some reason (sure maybe the wife has a ton of money and this person doesn't know), but even then as long as this isn't a set up broken house for money transfer - even if someone did drop $50k in it and someone got a 15 minute head start on you - presumably if it's not a broken house designed for money transfer, it was a big and confusing enough house to kill someone with a $50k bounty and/or a lot of tools, a 15 minute head start isn't going to be that big of a deal.  Most importantly, if this was in effect people would stop moving wealth this way pretty quickly because it would be even less reliable than looking around for empty $2000 0 0  houses - which is at least somewhat  a level playing field.

I understand that. As I said I believe it would solve the issue if the time was high enough. I just say that you don't only hide the house from the possible abuser but also from other people that could have otherwise seen it and robbed it. Sometimes it is just a matter of one moved dog in well known broken house that kills good robber. I am not strictly against it - I just say that it will influence people that don't abuse multiple accounts.
If the house was so complex that 15 minutes was not going to be big of a deal then we are getting to same problem as the abuser will just wait for 15 minutes and then rob the house like a boss while others will be struggling with it. 90 minutes would definitely make it not worth it to do money transfer, but it would also give advantage to some random people. Sure it can be added as part of the game, but I don't like the random factor there as afaik currently there is nothing random in the game.

I would really like to suggest something here, but nothing comes to my mind as this game is basically about money transfers and houses that suddenly gain too much money are like a treasure. People should be able to fight for that treasure as part of the game. Unfortunately the same treasure can be used to abuse with second account so I guess there is nothing that can be done without changing the game. But I would really like to see some solution that is fair to all the players and doesn't change the game a lot.

#81 2014-04-17 09:20:11

Lord0fHam

MMaster wrote:

Sometimes it is just a matter of one moved dog in well known broken house that kills good robber.

And fuck that dog.

It's a trap!

#82 2014-04-17 14:37:38

pagedMov

MMaster wrote:

Sometimes it is just a matter of one moved dog in well known broken house that kills good robber.

That shit killed me in Connel's house.
fukken 25k bounty man
Sucks that it went to that guy

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

#83 2014-04-17 15:57:03

Cylence

I actually happened upon a $2000 fresh house again, I normally don't ever see these anymore. I'm wondering if I was just lucky, or maybe they are making a resurgence because of the bounty change.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#84 2014-04-17 19:17:51

tigerbalm immunity

Cylence wrote:

I actually happened upon a $2000 fresh house again, I normally don't ever see these anymore. I'm wondering if I was just lucky, or maybe they are making a resurgence because of the bounty change.

i haven't had any trouble finding them. not as frequent as they used to be, but there if you look often. 

can you point me to details of the changes? my friend just got an $800 bounty. i'm all, de fuh?

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#85 2014-04-17 19:32:22

Cylence

tigerbalm immunity wrote:
Cylence wrote:

i haven't had any trouble finding them. not as frequent as they used to be, but there if you look often. 

can you point me to details of the changes? my friend just got an $800 bounty. i'm all, de fuh?

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/viewforum.php?id=2
shows the current values

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#86 2014-04-17 19:35:43

tigerbalm immunity

Cylence wrote:
tigerbalm immunity wrote:
Cylence wrote:

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/viewforum.php?id=2
shows the current values

thanks, i just found it smile

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

Board footer