The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-19 23:08:44

Pohaku

Robert Nicholas Fredericks...

... is dead. To a goddam self test. I fell into a powered trapdoor that didn't power up when I expected it to, after I changed a magic dance switch combo...

I changed it because someone named Charles Christopher O'Keefe walked into my house naked last night and did the tool-free solution up until my last trap, which killed him.  I put it down to some good scouting that hadn't taken my last (and newest) trap into account... so I changed the dance combo and killed myself.  I just spent ten minutes figuring out what the hell I did wrong, and then I realised that I didn't make a vital screen-shift step prior to doing my magic dance.  I want to punch myself in the face - I reckon my bounty was well over $50,000, I could have gifted that to somebody instead!

Anyway - here's my house.  It was a work in progress, but claimed a few lives - some of you probably died in it or scouted it at some point, so I'd be interested to know what you thought of it. I will post a breakdown of the solution and explanation of traps later, though most are pretty straightforward.

tYvCwJo.jpg

God I want to punch myself in the face again.  I think it was about 10 days old!

<sob>

#2 2014-04-20 00:06:10

HardKor

Re: Robert Nicholas Fredericks...

If you are interested: http://castledraft.com/editor/PrEesd

My next visit I was going to bring 2 bricks and a ladder to get past the dance on the right.  for some reason it seemed 'obvious' to me the vault was over there.  Not sure why, and I could have easily been wrong.  I did think the vault was right behind that powered door though.  I hate dog dances and never would have made it any further.  Better protected then my house and I'm currently halfway up page 1 so well done.

#3 2014-04-20 00:50:39

Lord0fHam

I got this far on my first scouting run earlier today, with only 2k tools.

http://castledraft.com/editor/KGcdUc

I was pretty close it seems.

It's a trap!

#4 2014-04-20 01:27:42

walter-white

I made it to the powered trap doors in the top right tool less. Wish this house was still around another day or two and i would have been robbing it

#5 2014-04-20 11:30:01

Pohaku

LordofHam, yes you got close to the vault on that occasion - there was a hard-to-spot final killer trap, that I won't go into - if you study the map and the solution well enough you'll figure it out, but it's far from obvious.

I need to work on my magic dances, because a few people did them by trial and error - which is odd to me because the final step was a leap of faith into a trapdoor, yet around 50% of those that took the leap had got it right.

Walter - it depends on when you did your raid as to whether you'd have been successful. The vault moved in my house frequently - the position it is shown on my map is the one it had been in for only around 8 hours. If I have any sort of a signature in this game, it is that my vaults move often!

Off to start over again, might hit a few $2,000 suicide raids first to see if I get lucky before starting over.

#6 2014-04-20 11:41:09

Blip

Well, I got pretty far in your place, and died on the dog-commit directly before your vault. Previously I had made an attempt at the bottom left corner as well, but also died. tongue

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#7 2014-04-21 14:01:15

Cylence

Just wanted to state that I like how people are responding with their attempts to break the house with their scouting maps. It hints towards people using castledraft to map out places when robbing and also reveals that house designers should be taking tools into mind when designing a house.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#8 2014-04-21 14:09:57

Cylence

Just wanted to state that I like how people are responding with their attempts to break the house with their scouting maps. It hints towards people using castledraft to map out places when robbing and also reveals that house designers should be taking tools into mind when designing a house.

Edit: just realized I didn't add any content to the thread topic so:
Wife protection could use an improvement. As posted, clubs can be used instead of guns. If you used fewer dogs and spaced them out in a winding fashion so that killing 1 dog with a gun would lock up the next dog so that he must be killed with a gun, would make it more expensive to get to your wife. I wrote and article on family defense which probably needs an update and an edit (maybe even a rewrite). You can check it out here: http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … hp?id=1015

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

Board footer