The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-22 17:05:24

poor

Community clean-up

So, in light of the recent removal of Connell's house, and the general fuck-up-ery that's been going on, I've got an idea:

why not make the removal of broken houses a group effort?

The only reason these houses are still on the list is that it is un-economical to get to each one's family. However, it is still possible to reach the vaults. Getting to the vault (if not empty) makes any changes permanent in a house, and this includes any progress toward the house's family. If a few people decide to raid these houses between lives and kill dogs on the way to the family before going to the vault, they can eventually completely remove the house from the list.

Why would anyone want to remove broken houses? Because most of the money that collects in them goes to established players "in the know", and because they reduce the incentive for going on actual robberies. I, for one, have noticed my own skill and drive for robbery taking a sharp decline since discovering broken houses, though I am by no means representative of the typical visitor to broken houses.

I will help this effort by not only engaging in family defense erosion, but also making it safer to reach these houses' vaults wherever possible. I may post maps for some of the more difficult ones.

As a start, the combination for G. C. Grant's house is 011100. Semple's house has hordes of dogs running everywhere now... may take a bit to get under control... Sullivan has a neat trap-door hall that turns off after 2 steps, and back on for 2 more, after passing the first trapdoor. Anyone who dies in Neal's house is an idiot. No, seriously. Cook's house killed me last I tried. (Someone killed the cat.) Gillard is a piece of cake.

So let's stock up on guns and clubs and remove these ugly derelicts!

This plan may backfire spectacularly.

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#2 2014-04-22 17:18:34

Lord0fHam

Re: Community clean-up

ummmm, why? if your skill is declining, just don't use them. These houses can also help people get money and don't affect new players. pretty much anyone playing now knows about them.

Edit, there is nothing wrong with semple, though i just had a chance to make it basicaly unsolvable but didn't because there is no reason.

Last edited by Lord0fHam (2014-04-22 17:20:08)

It's a trap!

#3 2014-04-22 17:50:24

Cylence

Lord0fHam wrote:

..These houses can also help people get money and don't affect new players. pretty much anyone playing now knows about them.

I don't think everyone knows about them, or else they wouldn't make that much money.

I like them around though. They are relics of the past. I like how people are using them to create a meta trap for people looking for easy money. The only problem is that they are a transfer point for those in the know. People can also create their own (http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … 565#p16565) to be a personal income generator or a transfer point.

I'm neither for or against broken houses. I just like the existence of them is an issue for people to play around.

Poor
Your suggestion of cleaning them up only affects abandoned accounts. They don't affect managed broken houses.

If you really want to form a coalition against broken houses, the thing you should do is do what Lord0fHam assumed: Make everyone know about it. Have a place where you can report and store maps. If there was a running list with updated maps for each, I'm pretty sure the amount of money generated by them would not pile up, and transferring money may be a bit riskier if more people are watching for those houses to jump in value and also more informed in case they want to change the dogs smile.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#4 2014-04-22 18:51:46

Lord0fHam

Yes that was an assumption. I just don't think they really impact the game enough to warrant a full scale assault to break them. And by the way, that house by MMaster that you linked, it really doesn't work. I tried it out and anytime it gets any amount of money, someone brings a ladder or cuts around.

It's a trap!

#5 2014-04-22 23:47:00

Cylence

Lord0fHam wrote:

Yes that was an assumption. I just don't think they really impact the game enough to warrant a full scale assault to break them. And by the way, that house by MMaster that you linked, it really doesn't work. I tried it out and anytime it gets any amount of money, someone brings a ladder or cuts around.

Yeah, I won't be mounting or aiding in any full scale assaults either smile.
However the link was just evidence of the possibility. Just because the simple layout MMaster provided did not work out for you, doesn't mean that someone can't come up with a house that is set up to be broken always (instead of the game intended fair solution), and do it in a clever way that it appears to be a normal house. I just wanted to point out that his solution did not account for them.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

Board footer