The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-20 16:11:27

iceman
Website

[Fortress Theory] Ichabod Edward Mann - Church of the Silence

I'm sure many of you have realized that Ichabod's back! If you poked your head inside, I'm sure you'll be overjoyed to see... nothing!  That's right, Mr. Mann forgot to turn on the lights for you when he left, so I'm sure you'll enjoy robbing a house in complete darkness big_smile

Since you're most likely not going to be able to solve this by yourself, I figured I'd give you a place to collaborate on what the map looks like.  Since even that probably won't help too much, I'll also have my own map on this thread.  For every person who dies in his house, I'll update 1 tile on the map.  I'll start with the pits, then move onto the walls, then... well, whatever else is in there tongue

Here's the death-funded map:
26 Deaths
http://castledraft.com/editor/tkl4a1

Now, feel free to post the map from your latest blind scouting trip on this thread!  Enjoy!

Last edited by iceman (2014-04-27 19:10:58)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#2 2014-04-20 20:30:52

GotABigTrap

Re: [Fortress Theory] Ichabod Edward Mann - Church of the Silence

my god, it's full of pits!

#3 2014-04-21 14:46:43

iceman
Website

To the 2 people that died- I've added the two pits you died in (both of the middle ones).

I don't see much collaborating going on... should I raise the prize?

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#4 2014-04-21 15:40:14

gyuri

Right now I think every regular player has a house so noone will risk his life.

Currently I don't have any cash so I can't even test if I can use tools in the dark.

#5 2014-04-21 15:51:51

gyuri

Hmm no. Even tools don't help. You get a lot of 3-step tapes don't you?

#6 2014-04-24 06:16:18

iceman
Website

gyuri wrote:

Hmm no. Even tools don't help. You get a lot of 3-step tapes don't you?

Yeah- the (valid) record so far has been 32 steps.  I do have a nice, 230 step tape, but it's one where the player can't decide whether they should go around the wooden walls or straight through them.  Considering he's seen my whole map, I suspect it's going to be broken soon.  Still, I'll keep on giving more information about the house- here's 12 pits for 12 deaths, as well as a few extra dogs thrown in wink

And now they've disconnect scouted me.  Really?

http://castledraft.com/editor/wOPHj5

#7 2014-04-24 06:41:00

poor

I think for every disconnect scout, you should change 10 tiles in the house.

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#8 2014-04-24 07:41:41

gyuri

iceman wrote:

Considering he's seen my whole map

Then it must be DaVinci243 smile

#9 2014-04-24 10:36:26

DaVinci243

Lelelleleelelleelelell. I found some easter eggs. Also realized I crash whenever I try this darkness shit with 835 tiles. pft.

noob programmer haking on open-source game.

#10 2014-04-24 11:02:20

iceman
Website

DaVinci243 wrote:

Lelelleleelelleelelell. I found some easter eggs. Also realized I crash whenever I try this darkness shit with 835 tiles. pft.

Shhhhhhh.... don't tell anyone about the easter eggs tongue  And wait, you tried to make a house with 835 darkness tiles?

#11 2014-04-24 12:05:01

DaVinci243

iceman wrote:
DaVinci243 wrote:

Shhhhhhh.... don't tell anyone about the easter eggs tongue  And wait, you tried to make a house with 835 darkness tiles?

I did, crashed. I just replaced all empty floors with 666.

One tile of darkness doesn't crash me, but when it's all, it just crashes my game.

noob programmer haking on open-source game.

#12 2014-04-24 13:44:39

gyuri

Easter eggs? In the dark? Not interested.

#13 2014-04-27 19:12:57

iceman
Website

gyuri wrote:

Easter eggs? In the dark? Not interested.

Actually, no... there aren't any easter eggs in Ichabod's house.

Anyways, we're up to 26 deaths, and every pit in the house has been filled in on the map.  Just to give you poor, lost souls a little sliver of hope, I've even shown where the vault is!

Good luck tongue

#14 2014-04-29 00:55:16

42dustman

Self-testing is torture.

#15 2014-05-04 22:39:01

42dustman

http://castledraft.com/editor/Rv4P5t

Note: Possibly like that, I'm not really sure about it.

Self-testing is torture.

#16 2014-05-05 04:20:15

eppfel
Website

http://castledraft.com/editor/gYW0qh

I used the technique of turn-confirmation to scout blocked ways, because the confirmation only gets asked, when it is a tile you are able to step on. In the map I marked concrete for the blocked tiles and green indicators for the path, which was not fatal to me. I suicided right before the cops came, to leave a nice tape^^
I think the second half of my path is inaccurate, because I accidentally had turn-confirmation off.

#17 2014-05-05 11:22:35

iceman
Website

Very, very clever, eppfel!  It does look like there's a bug with the confirmation, though- the "Press enter to confirm" doesn't go away until you mouse-over something and reset the tooltip.  Just something for whoever uses that method to be careful of.

For the kills since I've updated the map last, I'll show how accurate both your maps were.  Everything that you marked as a wall and was correct, I've shown as a wall.  Everything you marked as a wall but was not, I've marked as a sawed wooden wall.

And now, a big note and a big hint.  For those of you trying to crawl over to the vault- there's a powered door in the way.  My hint is that the dog in the top left is one of the keys to reaching the vault.

Here's the map:
http://castledraft.com/editor/U3SrV8

#18 2014-05-06 09:17:05

eppfel
Website

Did it! Funny, that I didn't even see the vault smile With the technique I describe earlier, it was not that hard. Also, with the vault, pit and chiwawa locations. Still a fun house! How does this darkness actually work???
But what I do with all that money. In Fortress Theory I'm quite the noob. I tried to park it in Limbo by not pressing "Return to house". I'm not sure, if it works. So, if someone finds an empty house with $97k + 3 paintings + stack load of tools. Please don't waste it and build a nice house^^

#19 2014-05-06 10:50:43

iceman
Website

Great job!  I was really tempted to make a video with a variety of deaths to the tune of "Duel of Fates", but I really think that time is better spent studying for my finals wink  Instead, everybody simply gets the map:

http://castledraft.com/editor/durnhd

All floor tiles are actually darkness tiles- all they do is allow movement but block vision (a variant of the cardboard box).  Obviously, you're supposed to get the pit bull to open the powered door... but the only way to see it is to step on the other pit bull.  Apparently, stepping on a dog that hasn't seen you yet won't kill you until you take your next step.  Normally, since you can't use tools underneath you, you can't get away without dying.  However, if you brought the chihuahua along, you can step on the pit bull then back onto the chihuahua, and you'll be safe.  Then, you simply walk to the vault!

I watched your tape, eppfel, and there was a really cool visual effect with the lighting when you had a chihuahua following you.  I'm not sure if you were able to see it, but it was almost like a weak flashlight trailing just half a second behind you.

Anyways, Ichabod bades everyone farewell- until v4 wink

#20 2014-05-06 13:01:57

eppfel
Website

iceman wrote:

I watched your tape, eppfel, and there was a really cool visual effect with the lighting when you had a chihuahua following you.  I'm not sure if you were able to see it, but it was almost like a weak flashlight trailing just half a second behind you.

No, I think I moved to slow to see such an effect. When you've done your finals, send me a screen recording of the tape, maybe just an excerpt. Would real like to see it.

The limbo thing seems to work, because I don't see the money on the neighborhood list.
Will the darkness tile make it into Fortress Theory v4?

#21 2014-05-08 20:18:42

42dustman

Not in a rush I see. hehehe

Self-testing is torture.

#22 2014-05-08 21:23:49

iceman
Website

42dustman wrote:

??

#23 2014-05-08 23:33:58

42dustman

iceman wrote:
42dustman wrote:

??

Eppfel didn't built a house yet.

Self-testing is torture.

Board footer