The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-28 17:38:58

StefanLindskog

Rankin tries to pet a pitbull

This is what happened - the mutt didn't like it, and earned Mr. Smith a fine 19k bounty:

uviGvDP.png

Funny how a error in judgement (or a brain malfunction) kills you like that. Brainmelt! big_smile

For those who tried - but failed (everyone), here's Rankin's house:

O1j0lVo.png

At least I didn't die to a selftest! Quite proud of myself, being out robbin, an' all. Took down houses worth 20k in total the last two days, so that's not half bad - considered who's talking. smile

Ps. The one who figures out the untooled route gets a cookie.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited by StefanLindskog (2014-04-28 17:54:37)

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#2 2014-04-28 18:37:40

Lord0fHam

Re: Rankin tries to pet a pitbull

I think you sort of just walk through the first part, dance so the first dog doesn't die, get it for the magic dance, go up to see the cat/dog, bring the dog down to open the doors and then run in a circle back through the door and up through the two doors. then go up and make the cat turn on both the switches that you just walked over. I'm not quite sure how to get the dog to unlock the door, it seems like it just kills itself. Go up and turn the switch off then on, sight the cat, walk back, turning the switch off, and then walk over. (Maybe i'm missing something, but it seems one move off). Then get the second cat to walk up and you are done. sorry about your loss.

It's a trap!

#3 2014-04-28 23:04:36

StefanLindskog

You have it in broad strokes, but would be dead before you reached the vault. What looks like the head of Galactus started as a thought experiment, and ended up as a slightly intricate juggle of pets.

#4 2014-04-29 08:53:31

iceman
Website

Here's my solution:

Walk to the leap of faith, making sure the left-most dog survives.  Step on the button, electric floor, button.  Go to the left to pick up your dog, then cross the leap of faith.
Go up to the cat hallway, press the first button twice, open the door (the cat will get stuck on the lower powered door), and send the cat up into his prison.
Since the dog is following you, go down and get him to unpress both buttons on his side.  Press one of the buttons to open the top door, then run to the bottom one.  You'll get through, while the dog will get stuck.  Make sure the button on the right side of the door is pressed still, and that the hallway button is pressed after you pass it. Take the far right hallway past the powered doors.
In Galactus' mouth, get the cat stuck by the left powered door.  Open the door above him, then send him across the trapdoor as a sacrifice for your robbery.  He'll open the powered door, letting you see the dog.
We have to get the button in Galactus' neck pressed, though.  Move along his left cheek to dance the dog stuck at the bottom of the house, unpressing his side of the door.  Go back down, press the hallway button to open the door, and run back to Galactus.  The dog should be about 5 spaces behind you, so you can cross the powered door at the chin before the dog closes them.
Go up the left side of Galactus' head until the dog opens the door.  At this point, the cat that crossed the trapdoor has gone back down, putting that hallway back exactly the way it was.  Go up until you see the dog, head back down, and cross the trapdoor.  The dog will fall in, and you'll almost be at the safe!
Press the button at the middle of the top of the map twice.  Step into the cat's view, left once, right, then cross the trapdoors.  Make sure the powered door is open, continue down the hallway- the cat will shut it and get stuck. Open the door on the left going up, go back to get a cat, and send the cat up to his prison.
Go to the vault.
???
PROFIT!!!

That was really fun to figure out big_smile I love how you have to do that dance with the dog you've forgotten about, and how you reuse that trap in Galactus' head three times!  Also, it's a bit amazing, but not a single cat died that day...

Last edited by iceman (2014-04-29 08:54:33)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2014-04-29 09:42:59

StefanLindskog

You would also be dead, Iceman. I'll post the solution soon. Two cats has to be at two precise locations when you step on the first powered pit of the top leap of faith. It's all in the prepping.

#6 2014-04-29 09:57:53

iceman
Website

Oh, I see- I missed how the button there is a red herring.  Actually, on second thought, that doesn't change my solution.  Anyways, I want to see your solution- I have an idea of how you did it from what you said,  but I can't tell how it would actually work out.

Could you post a castledraft link?  I want to try this myself, instead of just looking at it wink

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#7 2014-04-29 10:02:32

StefanLindskog

I'll give you both - just caught up in some rl stuff atm. Gimme a few hours. smile

#8 2014-04-29 11:14:04

StefanLindskog

Draft - with improvements I had planned: http://castledraft.com/editor/ec3i5O

...and solution to the map:

39Fuyny.png

Edit: Forgot a cat in the draft.

Last edited by StefanLindskog (2014-04-29 11:17:11)

#9 2014-04-29 11:56:23

iceman
Website

Well, congratulations- your house has multiple solutions!  My method seems to work, although it's a bit longer than yours.  Here's a video of both solutions, for those who want to seem them in action:

http://www.twitch.tv/iceman012/b/524253874

I start out dying, but Stefan's solution starts at 0:40, while mine starts at 2:15.  I killed a cat, though sad

#10 2014-04-29 13:13:02

StefanLindskog

Nice video! I like your solution too. And here I was thinking that the house could only be solved my way. I guess you expose some holes in my logic, which is nice. Of course, I know my logic is flawed - hell, I've even come to accept it. tongue

Board footer