The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-29 12:27:32

Banakai

Why rob me?

Yesterday I made an insanely dangerous house, that was designed to kill unarmed scouters, full of secret commits and traps and decoys. I had around 500 when I finished it. It would have been easy for 2k scouters, but they usually don't rob houses with this low value, and my vault was EXTREMELY well hidden, so they probbably would have wasted a few saws on the decoy. 2 unarmed scouters died in it within an hour, and then 1 person got lucky and stole enough to put me back at 500, but then I reset the traps and left it for the night. When I woke up and saw it had 16k, I was estatic! Nobody had robbed me during the night, but I got a few 100 bounties and a 600 bounty (!!!). This was easily my best house in the castle doctorine. I used this money to build an extension. Now it would be effective against 2k scouters. I leave for school, and when I get home, I see my cat and pitbulls clubbed, my wife has been gunned down, a giant "$0" sign mocking me, and red flashy text saying "Your family needs an empty path to exit". I look at my security tapes, and a few people took a couple steps in and left, but then I see the robbery tape. I open it up scared, and behold, some guy with last name "price". He has  a plethora of tools in his inventory, it seems too much for a 2k scout, but I don't count. He clubs my dog and cat, shoots my wife, saws outside to look at the wiring, and walks around some trying to figure out my fake magic dance before finding the vault. I go back, and count the tool values. More than double $2000. Even with the halved tool values you get for selling tools from the vault, it was a major loss for the robber. I didn't rob anybody yet on this life, I don't think I could have pissed someone off that much.

Why rob me? It was a major loss on your side. I didn't do anything did I? Why waste thousands of dollars in tools? If you want to take someone out just to make them mad, why not take someone out who has an unfair combo lock or something? I had a puzzle!

#2 2014-04-29 12:38:12

Pohaku

Re: Why rob me?

I feel your pain, this happened to me a few times. There are a couple of reasons why they may have done it:

1) Boredom.  There are not many houses left to rob, especially not ones you can break with even $4,000 in tools. Robbing is a fun part of the game, so this guy paid more that it was worth so he could have the fun of robbing.

2) You got to $16k overnight - it's possible that somebody dumped that money in your house with a view to coming to collect it with an alt account, but then got mad when you spent it. Were any of your initial overnight robbers loaded to the gills with tools that they left in your house?  Or any huge bounties?

#3 2014-04-29 12:43:16

Banakai

1) Yeah I realize this
2)I meant 1.6 k

This guy was the only guy who had brought tools in my house

#4 2014-04-29 12:54:57

Cylence

Hi Banakai,

Don't forget to valuate the cost of the tools at half the value. He could have been using harvested tools which he has collected from robbers. At that point he might break even.

And really, saws, meat and water are harvested so easily that they aren't worth as much, and it would be worth the entertainment.

I really suggest that when you start a fresh life, that you use it to suicide scout and eventually rob a house which will give you enough money to build a stronger house with at least $3-4k leftover (to entice other robbers).

There are a couple guides in my signature, and I highly recommend that you go through the robbery one first. smile

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#5 2014-04-29 13:00:49

Banakai

I did evaluate it at half price, and it was still alot more than the actual value of my house.

I don't like suicide scouting, because I only have 1 account and it will take my 5ever to scout out someone's house, and they will likely change it by then. I also think it is likely someone with 2 accounts robbed the second account to get money to rob my house.

#6 2014-04-29 13:27:49

Cylence

Banakai wrote:

I did evaluate it at half price, and it was still alot more than the actual value of my house.

I don't like suicide scouting, because I only have 1 account and it will take my 5ever to scout out someone's house, and they will likely change it by then. I also think it is likely someone with 2 accounts robbed the second account to get money to rob my house.

Well, if a person to chooses to spend their wealth on wrecking you, there's not much you can do about it besides make them spend more than they wanted to with your design.

You'd be surprised at the amount of houses that don't change when you scout. And you don't need 2 accounts to suicide scout. If you had a larger starting capital, you could make it harder for the same robber to break your house. But you can only do that if you put time and effort into robbing. Have you tried it at all? You may find it rewarding in terms of discovery and knowledge. Plus you don't have to worry about losing a house until you make that big score.

If you are afraid of scouting houses that may change, don't forget there are also broken houses out there that won't change, which still gather money for those who have taken the time to map it out. You can have these mapped out during your suicide lives before you start on a house. It will provide an alternate source of income if you can notice the increases in value.

If you really must build a house on the starting $2k and don't want to go robbing at all, then I would suggest a dog wife shotgun pincer trap and a vigilant watch. They can net some decent bounties but are easily cracked with a gun when discovered. So you have to be there when your house value jumps.

#7 2014-04-29 13:45:39

Banakai

I chose some guy with around 8 grand and a painting and started scouting him

#8 2014-04-30 00:10:55

Cylence

Banakai wrote:

I chose some guy with around 8 grand and a painting and started scouting him

Let me know if you enjoy the thieving life.

If you are doing suicide scouting, why not scout everyone in the neighborhood? You'll have downtime between visits to each house anyway and it'll up your chances and improve your skills faster. And once all your targets are chilled, you can play around in self test figuring out what you mapped out in other peoples houses. And maybe improve your own house design (saved in castle draft for later).

Good Luck Banakai smile

Board footer