The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-01 10:47:09

TheRealCheese

Let me tell you a short story of bile and vinegar.

Brand new house. Worth starts out at 1200. Person with 2k in tools (3 saws, 3 water, 3 meat) comes in, carves a path to the vault, which is not 2k proof yet, I admit it, but I was at the computer, expected to add some concrete before my worth got higher than 2k. Worth is now less than 300, as the vault had some tools. Next visitor. A dude with 5 saws, also carves his way to the vault. WTF? Give me a break! All the vinegar! ALL OF IT!

#2 2014-05-01 10:49:42

TheRealCheese

Re: Let me tell you a short story of bile and vinegar.

And we wonder why people don't keep playing this game? I have no problem with my house being legitimately solved, or even bruteforced, when it is worth bruteforcing. But ffs.

#3 2014-05-01 10:50:04

StefanLindskog

Epic douchebaggery, right there. And we wonder why new players have a hard time.

Edit: You beat me by answering yourself. tongue

Last edited by StefanLindskog (2014-05-01 10:50:44)

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#4 2014-05-01 11:25:55

tigerbalm immunity

this would happen less often with more players. 

there would be more money in the game and therefore more weak houses that are worth robbing.  kills accumulate faster than most builders can update so 2k starter houses can be found holding ~10k, which is yummy, obviously.  but with the player base small, fresh starter houses can quickly become the only option for new life robbers who are chilled out of the houses worth robbing.  and when you wanna rob, you wanna rob.  also why were you so attached to a house that had only a few hours and 2k invested?  i don't think it's fair to blame a robber who may have 1. just been trying to rob one of the few houses available to him, 2. just having fun playing the game he paid for, 3. may be very new to the game and a. may not understand the profit/loss aspect of robberies or b. is practicing/learning with fresh lives on vulnerable houses.

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#5 2014-05-01 11:30:18

TheRealCheese

You bring up some good points, tiger, I think part of my bile stems from the fact that it has taken me a few days to get a proper starting robbery this time around, so I -finally- had a house up worth its salt. I expected a few notool people dying so I could put in some concrete walls before letting my value rise high enough that people with more tools than sense would show up. It's already hard enough getting a house started, behavior like this does not help.
I am honestly more upset about this than I would be if I had lost a long-running house to selftest or my own death while robbing, because it's just senseless destruction for the sake of destruction. If I rob houses under 2k with my 2k tools, I suicide at the vault. Instead of ruining someones house, I show them weaknesses and then give them abit of money to be able to patch it up. I don't spend 2000 dollars of tools to get 199 (that was what the second robber got) out of a house.

#6 2014-05-01 12:20:18

TheRealCheese

Another one just tried to 2k me when my value was at 600. This one did not succeed however and his tools was sold and went towards those concrete walls I was talking about.

#7 2014-05-01 12:37:35

tigerbalm immunity

i sympathize with your frustration.  suiciding at your vault would have been the proper play especially as he's just going to go home and suicide there.  I think some players have an extremely Fuck-you attitude toward any house  that tries to kill them. 

also congrats on the seed money. good luck smile

Currently dead

#8 2014-05-01 12:59:48

Cylence

TheRealCheese wrote:

If I rob houses under 2k with my 2k tools, I suicide at the vault. Instead of ruining someones house, I show them weaknesses and then give them abit of money to be able to patch it up. I don't spend 2000 dollars of tools to get 199 (that was what the second robber got) out of a house.

Even if we had a larger player base, I'm sure you'd still see people enjoying the game doing $2k runs on houses where they can actually get to the vault.

If the seed money you started on wasn't enough to build a $2k proof house. Maybe it would have been better to throw that money into chain robbing a higher target for more of a starting base.

tigerbalm immunity wrote:

i sympathize with your frustration.  suiciding at your vault would have been the proper play especially as he's just going to go home and suicide there.  I think some players have an extremely Fuck-you attitude toward any house  that tries to kill them.

I think the proper play would be to not build a place that can be brute forced with $2k.

I imagine a neighborhood where every house shuns away 2k runners and gives those robbers a choice of either getting better or quitting. I also imagine a world where all houses under $4k would not get any visitors. It would be a place where everyone took time to learn and break the bigger vaults (or feed them) and then after breaking would create a medium house themselves to try to grow into a big house.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#9 2014-05-01 13:04:59

tigerbalm immunity

for cheap starter houses, i like to give 3 paths at the entrance: 1. is obviously family path, 2. is a strong commit with options thereafter either visible or brickable to be seen, and 3. appears to be a n00b trap.  obviously path 3 is the correct path.  it is chosen so infrequently, you can set your house as low as you want, wait for the griefers and watch them choose the wrong path.  like this: http://castledraft.com/editor/4k2xi7

yes i realize the vault is completely unprotected.  definitely keep an eye out for 2000 0 0 houses to remedy that.  as soon as possible after you add some kind of obstacle on the vault path, wrap the red herring path in steel.   obviously there is much to improve upon, but the general idea is to build a strong attractive looking commit that goes nowhere.  it works surprisingly well, and i think may help you, as they can't brute force down the wrong path.  also note that either sticky switch triggers permanent power thanks to the hidden power source.  just an idea. but it might give you one.

Currently dead

#10 2014-05-02 08:42:04

cullman

This problem would be easily fixed with a small tweak:

You cannot bring in tools in sale value that is greater than total house value into a house, unless :

a) the house has a painting(s)
b) the house has a value over $10k

This would also cut down on the last easy way to move money between alts.

#11 2014-05-03 09:10:30

Banakai

You forgot revenge robberies!

c) They have entered your house with tools
D) They have taken your vault

Board footer