The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-12 21:50:11

The Vault Keeper

The Vault has been sucked into the void

I made a horrible mistake during self-test and my house was sucked into eternal oblivion.

Since I think I am taking a break for awhile I am going to share my house. I was inspired by Blips post about making an ordered combo lock and decided to take it to the extreme.

I present to you, The Vault of Kings.

The house has five main tricks.

1. A combo lock that has so many combinations I feel it would be near impossible to crack randomly. 8 buttons and you must press 7 in the right order.
2. The harmless dogs at the top discourage / disallow people from guessing and checking (not that it really matters). Once you open the door you need to stop the dog, or enter, or break the power.
3. A very tiny dance that seems like it has no effect but in reality allows the true path to open.
4. Deception. The vault seems like it is near the lower left, but it is a lie... just like cake in this game.
5. The vault is in a weird place where most people wouldn't need to dig. The dog needs to be kited to the pit. Most people would assume the dog is just there as a mistake path.

I died because if you look at the pit in the middle of the map, I put a power source which I don't actually need, which broke the lock, which trapped me eternally in self test, so I activated my personal implosion device, taking me and everything with me into the depths of hell.

Enjoy! Kudos if you can comprehend the circuitry! It hurt my brain quite a bit making it.

QT2OA34.jpg?1

P.S Now that I think about it, the pit would never close to begin with and I would have died to a dog anyway... oops!

Last edited by The Vault Keeper (2014-05-12 21:51:32)

#2 2014-05-13 22:15:20

GotABigTrap

Re: The Vault has been sucked into the void

Haha I wondered if that house was an ordered lock because of the way the commit doors were set up.  Ever since Blips post I've made quite a few ordered locks and currently I have a similar house in fortress theory, but there are a few differences.  For one, my lock can't have as many buttons because I was trying to fix some flaws that come with ordered locks. 

I've been experimenting with combo locks pretty extensively here and there.  The biggest problem with ordered lock is this- power must be on while buttons are pressed.  If the robber can disable and re-enable power somehow, in tests I was able to solve locks out of order.  Secondly, because power must be on, you cannot use electric floors to power the buttons.  I found a design that works with electric floors by using a paradox circuit.  Then each button gets power memory with one way propogation.  This way, once button is pressed, it is impossible to unpress it or press it again with any tools.  Because I wanted the floor to activate as a commit button to the lock, I needed a 2nd power memory for each button with all the ordering logic between the two power memories.  In one map, I had a 3 button ordered lock with this logic.  I was using a 1 bit clock and paradox circuit to power the buttons.  This map was supposed to be a simple test of concept but it pulled in loads of money.  I had it set so that you step on a button as you enter which would lock you behind a power door.  Everybody kept cutting the wire to the power door, but this would also break the combo lock.  Once they commit their combnation, alternating electric floor pairs would activate, which would require several wire cutters to leave.

Because you can trip memory power components with a paradox powered circuit, paradox circuits work well with ordered locks;however, if you want the floor to activate, you need more wiring memory and logic to prevent somebody from breaking the circuit, hitting most of the buttons and then pressing the commit.  The design I've described will handle that case.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-05-13 22:24:49)

#3 2014-05-13 23:38:30

Cylence

Re: The Vault has been sucked into the void

The Vault Keeper wrote:

Since I think I am taking a break for awhile I am going to share my house. I was inspired by Blips post about making an ordered combo lock and decided to take it to the extreme.
1. A combo lock that has so many combinations I feel it would be near impossible to crack randomly. 8 buttons and you must press 7 in the right order.
5. The vault is in a weird place where most people wouldn't need to dig. The dog needs to be kited to the pit. Most people would assume the dog is just there as a mistake path.

I think you can do more with the space if you chose to use a smaller combo lock. Combo locks are really effective against low budget robbers but are really weak against high budget robbers..

1) Combo locks don't have to be that big to thwart suicide scouts and random guesses. And you can just make it harder by changing the combination every now and then.

5) If I were to rob you with tools, I would do what I do against all combo locks: dig down the last button hoping its just 1 or 2 ladders away from a vault. Your vault is actually just 1 club away after sawing through. The dog can't stop someone from using a brick to look past the door.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

Board footer