The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-29 07:25:31

cullman

Interesting little toy/tool

Cool little thing my coder Max came up with.  A hacked up version of the game and castle draft that let's you play server side and use castle draft as a client.  Recognize this is just a proof of concept and is not meant to work that well.   Some tiles don't exist in castle draft so they may show up blank, it also can be pretty laggy, but it is a neat tool to see how some maps work.  This is not a preview of how anything would work in our game, just something he was playing with :

http://ec2-54-197-125-240.compute-1.ama … mid=pq6U7O

replace pq6U7O with the key you get from a share url in castle draft like this http://castledraft.com/editor/pq6U7O

Then push the right arrow key to get started.

Let me know if there are any questions.

#2 2014-05-29 07:27:29

mala

Re: Interesting little toy/tool

omg simply amazing *_*

i've tested with mitchell's house (the ticking one), the programs recognize the clock, change the state of the grid/pit every cycle and let you know when you would have died.

again, simply amazing big_smile

only things that may cause problems is that the simulation start on the first tile while you should be on the doormat, that gave me some problems with the clock cycle, and i guess it could give you problems with family members too, since they will start running one turn later than they would have in the game.

Last edited by mala (2014-05-29 07:33:46)

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#3 2014-05-29 08:04:25

Blip

This is actually a pretty cool proof-of-concept; you've successfully set up a version of the game that simulates everything server side. Just a question: is the current lag (which I'm getting lots of) just due to this being a quick setup that's probably not optimized, or will there be significant lag even in the final game due to the server-side simulation? I have very slow internet, as I live in the hills and can't get any of those high speed internet services, and would hope to still be able to play the reboot with minimal lag.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#4 2014-05-29 08:13:21

cullman

This is just a quick and dirty hack, and something fun to help teach people with on the boards.  We are still deciding if we will do stuff on server side or client side for reboot or whether or not it will be realm dependent.  It is not optimized for lag at all.  We would not ship anything that performed remotely this poorly.  I just wanted to show you this cool thing Max made, and show you that I wasn't all talk (just mostly talk).

mala, I will mention to Max that the game is out of step one cycle.

#5 2014-05-29 13:25:39

tigerbalm immunity

well that is really quite nice, i'm wooed.

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#6 2014-05-29 20:40:50

Killer Mosquito

Wow...  this is fantastic.

Unpowered doors are a bit confusing... they look the same powered and unpowered.  You can only tell which is which by the line of sight behind the door.  Also, I had a chihuahua (I still can't spell that word at first try....).  I couldn't see it on the page.

Other than that... this is golden.

EDIT:  I experienced no lag.

Last edited by Killer Mosquito (2014-05-29 20:41:23)

Unknown.... thanks Blip
Unknown again because I thought I'd go on a no-tool revenge run on Blip.  Silly me........
Never risk what you aren't willing to lose.
Be willing to lose everything.

#7 2014-06-01 15:03:55

gyuri

Very nice stuff.

I experienced a noticeable lag (I'd say about 0.3-0.4 seconds) and it's not because I have slow internet: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3537076481

#8 2014-10-04 10:36:28

thoth

very cool

#9 2014-10-04 11:54:52

cullman

Eventually in Terminal Heist we may have server side only neighborhoods for real money play or tournament play etc. yes it is a little laggy,  though there are some things we can do to so fix that. The main problem is more lag, and more expensive to run the server. It's a bad combo unless there is good reason. I think I have a new approach that will make map grabbing pretty damn hard. ( not impossible , but out of the reach of most the cheaters that I know that play this game.  ). We will see how that goes and see if we need to implement this or not on TH someday.

#10 2014-10-05 00:06:00

Passive

thoth wrote:

very cool

Thanks for bumping this post, this is an epic tool even in its basic state. Just managed to test the next stage of my house, now i just need to get the $$$ to build it big_smile

#11 2014-10-05 08:35:50

cullman

The cool thing is, ukuko, has generously given us the source to Castle Draft to user for Terminal Heist.  So there will be a Terminal Heist version of Castle Draft, it will probably just integrate directly into the Terminal Heist website.  We will bring this ability to test a map out, or trap dynamic using this server/side castle draft trick.  I think it could be a great little tool for helping teach new players how things like leaps of faith work etc, or even for experienced players to experiment with new ideas.

#12 2014-10-13 23:25:05

Passive

Has this stopped working for anyone else?

#13 2014-11-03 16:41:19

cullman

Should be back up.

#14 2014-11-28 13:46:15

Passive

cullman wrote:

The cool thing is, ukuko, has generously given us the source to Castle Draft to user for Terminal Heist.  So there will be a Terminal Heist version of Castle Draft, it will probably just integrate directly into the Terminal Heist website.  We will bring this ability to test a map out, or trap dynamic using this server/side castle draft trick.  I think it could be a great little tool for helping teach new players how things like leaps of faith work etc, or even for experienced players to experiment with new ideas.

Been thinking on this would it be possible to have it but without fog of war so you can see if out of sight animals are acting as expected? Not sure if this would take away from the danger of self-tests but its something i always have to try and work around with windows big_smile

#15 2014-11-29 06:15:14

voxel

I've been thinking about also adding a "simulate/test" option to my enhanced version of the client... but that seems like it might be going too far towards helping people avoid permadeath!

Board footer